Tell me about Omaha please.

I used to work in the agricultural sector, so I’ve visited more than a few times. The best description I ever heard was, “It’s like Des Moines, without all the glitter.”

Which reminds me of a line from humor writer Bill Bryson’s autobiography:
“I’m from Des Moines. Somebody had to be.”

Also, when I was six or seven, I thought Omaha was in Africa. I loved to watch the monkeys and elephants on “Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom”. :slight_smile:

[Sorry.
You may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread.]

To be fair, 2 weeks ago that is about all I knew about Omaha.

I drove through it once, but I didn’t stop.

Well, with your username, I can guess why. :slight_smile:

Lived in Omaha for 18 months from 2012. It is a mid-sized city, and not a very happening place. It has a few places of interest, like the Henry Doorly zoo and aquarium, the Old Market, and Missouri river bank. Plenty of bars. The city is clean, reasonably well-maintained, and the traffic is far better than many major cities. Used to work downtown and live around 96th street, and the commute would usually be over in 20-25 minutes, not bad at all.

Summers can be hot and humid, winters cold and dry, with very occasional snow. Since I love cold weather, I loved Omaha’s winters, though not the few days when you get a foot of snow and the sun never shows up. Typically the winter days are cold, with bright sunlight and no precipitation. Windchill is a serious threat on really cold days. Weather changes can be abrupt so it’s important to listen to the weather forecasts - this applies to all of the Midwest though.

West Omaha is the prosperous area of town. The Millard area struck me as really nice, with many warm, cozy residences. Downtown and north Omaha are crime-prone, though as someone pointed out, crime in Omaha is less than other cities of comparable size.

There are plenty of super Walmarts and a lesser number of Targets sprinkled around town. Unfortunately Winco is not present in Omaha. There are a few quality Indian, Thai, Chinese and Italian restaurants.

You can save a bit in Omaha, the cost of living is reasonable. Overall a great place to be if you are not looking for a very happening and lively place.

Nowledge! I know that one!

And as long as we are doing Nebraska jokes, here are a couple more that I learned while living 6 blocks north of Nebraska for my entire childhood:
How do you break a Nebraskan’s finger? Punch him in nose
Why did they install astroturf in Memorial Stadium? To cut down on the grazing by the team
Why is it so windy in Iowa? Illinois blows and Nebraska sucks.
Did you hear that Kansas City wanted to build a new zoo? But couldn’t find enough fence to put around Nebraska

And about 30 more ones that haven’t aged well since middle school.

The Nowledge is definitely the best.

Yankton?