Tell Me About/Recommend Air Rifles

I had a Daisy CO[sub]2[/sub]-powered pistol when I was a kid. Now, when you’re 10 or 12 rapid multiple shots are a lot of fun. But as I said before (maybe in the other thread), if you run out of cartridges you’re done shooting. Also, rapid-fire cools things down quite a bit. Velocities are much reduced. Finally, the gun developed a leak. I’d only et a few shots before the cartridge was expended. One more thing: Granted, a CO[sub]2[/sub] cartridge does not contain a great deal of gas; but nowadays I have a problem venting a greenhouse gas. I expend much more CO[sub]2[/sub] just breathing; but why add to it?

QB-78 (in .177 or.22) is not a multi-shot pistol, but a single-shot rifle, a copy of one of the classic American pellet guns that is no longer available. Cooling isn’t an issue, as you still single-load a pellet each time by hand. I’ve had one for years, no leak yet. Cheap items will always break quickly and easily, and it doesn’t get cheaper than low-end consumer Daisy. Co2 carts are cheap enough, and you get 30 fairly powerful (generally about the same as most 10-pumpers, without the pump-pump-pump-pump-pump-pump-pump-pump-pump-pump), very accurate shots per cart. Unless you’ve got the finances of an unemployed teenager, there’s no reason to run out of carts. I also like that I never have to worry about ruining a scope like I did on my BSA Supersport.

I can’t argue the greenhouse gas aspect, if using that much gas bothers you, yeah, you shouldn’t shoot it. They used to have full-auto bb guns that used cans of freon as a propellant. Think about that one a bit. :eek: The QB-78 isn’t for everyone, but mine is so accurate and fun to shoot I like to tell folks about it.

I’ve seen those being used with compressed air and a long, coiled hose.

When I was a kid I had a styrofoam glider (I think it was called the Shrake – could’ve been Shrike – but I’m not sure) that used Freon as a propellant. I froze my thumb a few times with it.