Tell me about the sewer

Intended as a joke, ie. an oxymoron if you will.

I worked in the utilities dept. of a large research facility to generate and/or deliver compressed air, electric power, gas, steam, water for “sanitary” and process use, and maintained steam stills to provide double distilled water to chem labs.

The effluent from a well run sewage disposal plant should be of drinking water quality. It is usually discharged in to streams, you don’t dare to drink from, to be scooped up downstream and run thru the municipal water treatment plant to provide drinking water to a town or another facility.
The facility originally used septic tanks and a sewage plant was the result of pressure from the feds.

To follow up on this, regulations for new construction generally require that the “peak flow” of runoff from a construction project not increase when compared to that before construction.

For example, suppose I have a project where I am taking a 10-acre grassy parcel, and replacing it with a large parking lot. Before the project, much of the rainfall infiltrated into the ground, and only a small amount ran off the property into the storm drain system downgradient of the property. After paving the property, I now have a great deal of runoff to deal with when it rains, since it can’t percolate into the ground like it used to. This runoff could cause serious problems for people downgradient from my parking lot, potentially flooding out them out.

The solution is to pass regulations prohibiting me from increasing the peak rate of flow from my project, when compared with the initial conditions. To meet the regs, I have to store all of the water that runs off from my parking lot, and slowly dribble it out into the drain system. Water is store in two basic ways: 1) aboveground in retention/detention ponds; or 2) belowground in tanks or galleries. Many, many parking lots have elaborate stormwater storage systems installed beneath the parking lot.

This is generally not an option due to the high expense of treating water at a wastewater treatment facility (WWTF).

Right. The OP seemed more concerned with water quality than water quantity.

Agreed. I mentioned this to point up the fact that sometimes the best environmental solution is not the one we’ve been accustomed to using.

– Tom Lehrer

In Minneapolis, the city recently finished a project which effectively recreated wetlands near a lake (the original ones were filled in decades ago when the lake was dredged to make it deeper) and then redirected some stormwater drainage systems into these wetlands. So the water goes there, and is somewhat filtered naturally before it reaches the lake itself, or the connnecting creeks.

On the other hand, a recent newspaper story from the same area reported that a park visitor found a moneybag full of checks from a local church floating on the lakeshore. Apparently a thief took the cash from the bag, and then threw it into the drain gutter at a street corner. From there it flowed thru the drainwater pipes and ended up in a lake, within only a couple of weeks of the robbery. (The bag still contained all the donations made by check; the church was able to dry them off and deposit them!)