Tell me about traveling to South Korea?

Is this reference to “love hotels” what I think it is - places to take a hooker for a few hours? If so, it seems shocking that anyone would consider them a viable option for lodging.

It’s a time-honored symbol for inns and public baths. It was used for both when I first lived in South Korea way back in 1977 and it’s still used for both.

The so-called love hotels are rather a good deal in places that either do not have the more upscale places or when said upscale joints are far more expensive. The love hotels are quite comfortable…

I think you can also take your girlfriend/boyfriend there if you both live at home, for instance.

Are you going to Seoul? A fun neighborhood for Americans is Itaewon, just outside a large army base. If money isn’t a huge problem, stay at the Hyatt Regency. The view from the bar is spectacular. Closer to the action and a good deal cheaper are the Hamilton and the IP Boutique. Thee are swell hotels all over Seoul, but these two are close to Party Central (Hamilton is moreso). IP Boutique is across the street from Hooker Hill, where I’m told sex industry workers are fairly easy to locate and engage.

Within a block or two of the Hamilton are some of my favorite restaurants. Korea’s finest Russian restaurant, Mexican, Czech restaurants and some amazing bars. Try to spend one night in Itaewon.

Itaewon is, in my own opinion, horrible. It’s overpriced, crowded, has terrible shopping, mediocre foreign food places, and awful traffic and pollution.

The best place I found in Seoul is Samcheongdong, accessible via Anguk station, exit #1 for the local tourist office. Head towards the park and enjoy the architecture, art galleries, bakeries and coffee places. You won’t see many foreigners there, it’s a little hidden gem. If you like art, head to the Samsung Museum of Art, via Hangangjin station. The best shopping is in Myeongdong.

But it’s all subjective so don’t count on my opinion being accurate.

From what I was told, they’re also a place where 20-something Koreans, who likely live with their parents, can go with their significant others for a night or two.

When I went on vacation, the one I stayed at was dirt cheap, but nicer than most 3.5* hotels I’d stay at in the US for double or triple the price (nicer room, more updated, better amenities, including breakfast the next morning). I’d absolutely stay at one again, even though I did have to pay through a slot like some kind of weird speakeasy thing.

I also stayed at a traditional guest house for a few nights. It was nice and quiet and in the center of everything from a tourist perspective. (It might be weird if you’re on a business trip).

If you have a chance, please do try to visit the Seodaemun Prison museum. It’s extremely moving.