Tell me 'bout yer CPAP!

CPAP.com carries the software for some of the PR machines. I’m sure other online vendors have it as well. I don’t know if one needs the dedicated card reader with the 139.00 version of the software, or one can get by with a standard card reader and the 99.00 version of the software.

I haven’t yet tried popping the SD card into my laptop to snoop. Yeah, compliance is certainly an issue; I haven’t been asked to provide documentation for my insurance, but I gather Medicare does require demonstration of 4+ hours a day usage. The provider can get the compliance data directly from the machine, however, the card isn’t required for that. I really do need to check to see if there’s anything written to my SD card one way or the other, since it’s valuable info. I’m sure it won’t make any sense without the software, but at least I can see that there’s something there.

I did discover that the default onboard-display information was dumbed down - I had to get into the clinician setup menu to be able to see my AHI reading, as well as large-leak and periodic-breathing percentages. Then I found, in the clinician menu, a way to allow those figures to be displayed in the “civilian” info menu. I wonder why they hid that initially?

I’m glad your AHIs are so much better! The ultimate goal is to get that below 5, from what I understand; hopefully as you get better used to it things will improve (or they might need to tweak your settings).

Definitely look at the other forum that YWalker linked to; it’s got a great deal of good info. I knew what to insist on when I met with my doc (though he was going to order all the same features anyway, but some doctors don’t make such specific requests).

Does anyone else experience difficulty exhaling when using the CPAP? When I first put it on each night, it takes several minutes before I am breathing fairly comfortable; initially, it feels almost like I’m suffocating because I cannot expel the air sufficiently.

mmm

I had a lot of trouble with that during the titration study. It’s less of a problem with my own unit since it has expiratory pressure relief (the pressure drops by a couple of points when I start to exhale). Check to see if your unit offers that feature.

Thanks, Mama Zapa - most interesting!

I liked this at the cpap.com page you linked - in larger type near the top of the page it asks “Is your CPAP therapy effective? Do you know for sure that you’re getting the pressure you need? Do you need a way to be more hands-on with your CPAP therapy?”, and then in smaller type near the bottom it warns “Software is intended for use by Sleep Labs and DMEs. We do not provide technical support for software purchases.”

So, their business model is to sell to sleep lab personnel who also themselves have apnea!

Does your machine have a ramping feature? That’s the purpose of ramping, giving you adequate time to adjust to the full pressure. I’ve been on CPAP for 4 years now and am at the point where I no longer need ramping, but at the beginning I definutely did.

As others have mentioned, you may want to investigate a ramp or a c-flex setting. Sometimes you can modify these on your own, but you are supposed to have a prescription that allows it (most sleep docs will write the scrip to allow it at the outset, knowing how common it is) and then your Medical Supplier will send someone out to fix it. The ramp function will start you at a lower pressure and slowly increase it over a set time period until you reach your prescribed pressure. A c-flex (or similar) setting will allow the pressure to vary a little around the pressure setting, giving slightly more pressure on the inhale and slightly less on the exhale (think of a sine-wave superimposed over the constant-pressure line at your prescribed setting).

One trick I’ve found helpful, especially when I was using a full-face mask, was to time the start of the pressure so that I was in the middle of an exhale when the pressurized air hit me. This let me then start an inhalation at pressure, making it easier for me to adjust to breathing with the PAP.

I suppose I need to drag myself back to the sleep doc.

But, in the meantime…

I’m sure my machine allows ramping, but I don’t know if it is activated. From what I recall, my settings are fairly low, so maybe it is not. Also, he set it to some custom variable pressure, in which the machine is supposed to know how much I need throughout the night.

Are there online sites that direct you on how to verify your settings? Do folks experiment and change settings on their own (I know you’re not supposed to)?

mmm

Sounds like you have APAP like I do. My machine does allow ramping but my lower-range setting is so low (6) that if I set it to ramp (it starts at 4), I feel like I can’t breathe. So I don’t bother with ramping.

If you google around, you can definitely find out how to access the clinician menu. While I don’t think it’s illegal, the medicos will try to make you think it is… I found it out for my own and found that all the settings were just as I’d been told (range of 6-10 etc.). I did change one thing: there are 3 readings (AHI, Periodic Breathing, Large Leaks) that don’t show up on the user’s info menu UNLESS THE CLINICIAN SAYS TO. Duh… they really dumbed down the info! So I changed that to allow it; that way I can see those figures without getting into the clinician settings.

I really would not futz with the actual pressure settings without discussing with the medical folks. Too-high pressure can trigger central apneas. Too-low won’t give you any benefit. In theory, a good APAP should prevent either of those problems, and I guess simply widening the range is a comparatively safe thing to do… but that’s something I personally would not do without “permission” from the docs. Basically, the only way I’d touch any of that stuff was if the doc had agreed, and the alternative were to have to lug that brick somewhere inconvenient.

I just came by to mention my new “Nasal Pillows System” It’s called Swift FX by ResMed. My husband calls it my nose thong. It’s so soft and light I barely know it’s there.
If a nose-hose could be sexy, this would be the one.:smiley:

LOL! This is exactly the one I have. Aside from the nose feeling some discomfort in the cartilage area, it’s mostly very comfortable. I’m dinking with the tightness settings trying to get that sorted out - if it’s loose it’s VERY comfy but any move and the weight of the hose pulls the pillows out of position… I’m considering getting one of those hose clips to take the bulk of the hose weight off of the headgear. And if it’s tighter it doesn’t move, but then I think I’m not sleeping as well like that (I tried it last night and had an awful night’s sleep).

For those with Mask problems, I used to wake up with my mask across the room, having ripped it off and flung it during the night, Switching to nasal Pillows has made a world of difference, they are comfortable, never come loose, and allow me to read or watch TV while drifting off to sleep.

Just thought I’d post to say I’m trying out a new mask tonight. The ResMed Mirage Liberty. It’s a hybrid. Mouth mask with nasal pillows. My new (first time) respiratory therapist wasn’t enthusiastic. She said it was not good for people with high pressure due to sealing issues, but mine is relatively low (12) so it may work out.

I love the idea, in principle. We’ll see how it works.

How’d it work out for you?

I looked at the photo, and the headgear looked pretty daunting… as in, how to get it off in a hurry for a potty visit, for example. Still, if it works for you, cool!

Epic failure. In order to keep the nasal pillows secure, the mouth mask was so tight that I woke up in pain in the middle of the night. Tried it for 2 nights and went back to my full-face mask.