Tell me your moving horror stories.

Here’s a moving horror story I read about in the Washington Post a few years back.

Family started moving into a new house on a Saturday. Later that afternoon, the electricity on the place went out. They put in a few calls and learned the original owners had cancelled the power. The couple moving in were under the assumption that the electric would be left on and they simply had to have it placed under their name. Evidently this wasn’t the case and of course the electric company wouldn’t be able to come out until that Monday.

Naturally that night a hellacious thunder storm rolls in and with no power and therefore no working sump pump, the basement floods ruins the carpeting and a fair amount of belongings. The new family’s home owner’s insurance wouldn’t cover for whatever lame-ass reason and the couple figured they had no basis for a lawsuit so they had no recourse but to take the hit.

A lovely ‘Best Wishes in Your New Home!” welcome but a cautionary tale for others.

I had half of a huge post typed up, but decided that it was like one of those letters that you write but then destroy and never send to the intended recipient.

Suffice it to say that it is a Very Bad Idea to try to “switch houses.” We bought my mother’s house. My cousins, who were living in my mother’s house, bought ours. And left half of their stuff in my mother’s basement because they didn’t arrange to have any help on moving day. And they knew we wanted our stuff to go into the basement so we could redo the wood floors and then move everything upstairs. The general consensus on their end was “Oh, well.”

It has been a very long time, and my blood pressure no longer goes up when I think about that day, but, GAHHH!

In a way, you’re all winners. But in another, more accurate way, **Sailboat **is the winner.

As someone who is going to have to move sometime soon if someone buys our house, all I can say is that I hope when it’s over I DON’T win this thread.

I have moved twice in my life without ownership of or access to a car. About a block each time.

Next to that, and some of the horrors upthread, the fact that when we were closing on our current house, the lawyers screwed up the paperwork and indicated they might not be able to get it straightened out that day so we could move in and our real estate agent abandoned us for his next client without resolving this, pales in comparison. One incipient tantrum later, though, they were able to fix the paperwork. Imagine that with all of our modern technology they were able to change some numbers and print another copy!

Remember the first terrorist attack on the World Trade Center? Not the one on 9/11, but the one back in the 90s? Well that was my moving day, between two NYC apartments, from the East Village to Chelsea. The movers emptied my old apartment . . . then the terrorists attacked, and all of Manhattan was instantly locked down and gridlocked. All of my belongings were held somewhere, and even the moving company couldn’t tell me where (only one mover spoke fluent English, and my Hebrew was a little rusty). So for the next 3 days I lived in my new apartment with my 2 cats and some houseplants.

Why ChiefScott is Afraid of Toilets.
This is not my story. It’s extremely funny if your not ChiefScott. You do not want this Doper’s moving experience.

I moved all by myself once with only one box and a tiny car.

Went to the old place, filled up the box, crammed it into my tiny car and drove it over to the new place and unpacked it…then went back to the new place with the same now empty box… repeat repeat repeat.

Toward the end I stopped unpacking the box and just turned it over on the floor to empty it. When I woke up in the new place the next morning I walked around looking at the piles and thinking yeah, I remember packing that pile, and that one, and that one.

How much did that cost you in gas?

heh, not enough that I remember stressing about it. But then I was only moving across town, gas was cheaper then, and…tiny car :slight_smile:

Just had to move quickly due to a family emergency*; it is the first time I’ve ever moved with someone else packing my stuff. Never again. Stuff has been lost, broken, and destroyed, including rare phonograph records, glassware, and antiques. The movers took it upon themselves to dump the contents of entire drawers into random boxes, meaning quite a few bits of paperwork and 100+ year old family photos have been mislaid or damaged (this is infuriating because I sealed up drawers, and asked that they move these small pieces of furniture intact.)

They really took the piss – I was there for part of the packing and shifting of my stuff, and had to listen to endless insults about my possessions – ‘Why do you have so many books? You don’t really read these books. You just have them for decor, don’t you?’ and ‘Why do you have a loom? I bet you don’t use it. It’s probably just a decoration.’

Inexplicably, they dismantled my good main-work spinning wheel, which cost over $1000 15 years ago – I do actually use my textile equipment on commissions, and was horrified this afternoon finally to find all of the pieces that they took apart – unprotected and unwrapped at the bottom of a box, a box also filled with heavy books and several metal guitar stands lying loose. The flier assembly to my wheel is now, of course, severely damaged. Yet in another box, I found a single, empty plastic water bottle, wrapped lovingly in several layers of paper, cradled in a large nest of wrapping paper.

I also did not appreciate their idea of ‘joke packing’ which meant, for example, that I opened a box of textbooks to find condoms and other items from my bathroom medicine chest scattered across the top layer of books.

These were professional movers, friends of the family as well, who were engaged to move my stuff; I would have packed, but I had literally about 12 hours’ notice that they were coming, that is, late the night before. I spent much of that time running around trying to pack up the stuff I knew I would need the most, since I’m teaching a class right now, and trying to put together two conference papers and meet a publishing deadline.

As for the fragile stuff – I went around and clearly marked what was fragile and antique, and spoke to the headman ahead of time that I would shift that stuff in my car, as it was fragile, but by the time I got back to my apartment after work, they had everything packed up, including food. As much as I appreciate how quickly they worked, I’m not happy with how much was destroyed or broken – if they could pack garbage (literally) with loving care, why on earth were they throwing fragile items at the bottom of heavy boxes? The endless commentary on my stuff also grates.

A close friend of mine noted in another thread here that sometimes the best way to talk to people is to punctuate every syllable with a cock-punch; I think I have an idea for how to tip these particular movers when I see them to pay them.

*My recently widowed mother, who lives alone, had emergency brain surgery a couple weeks ago and is pretty much a recovering invalid for the next few months. The plan was always for me to move in, but her accident and surgery created a certain amount of hurry-up to the original schedule.

Ms Boods, I think I would be tempted to take out an ad in the local paper about these clowns. I am so sorry this happened to you at this terrible time in your life, and I hope your mom is doing well. I’ll keep good thoughts for you (and throw some mental garbage at those “movers.”)

Long story short: While moving from one apartment to another, an ex-roommate decided to:

1. Leave town on extremely short notice
  2. Leave behind an entire set of heavy bedroom furniture that she claimed would be picked up by someone she sold it to online. Expected me to obtain the check from the mailbox, call the movers hired by the purchaser, let them in, and clean up after their inevitable mess.
  3. Would not answer repeated calls or texts when I discovered that payment for said furniture had not arrived.
  4. When friends decided the whole thing was a foolish mess and helped me unload the furniture (to charity), roommate decided to stop payment on a check written for the rent.

All of this after I had had my wisdom teeth removed. I got the email regarding her skipping payment on the check when I was in a conference three hours away. I not only had to pay that, but also a late fee. :rolleyes:

Cheers for your good wishes – it’s going to be a slow, careful recovery for my mom, and a lot of doctor’s visits over the next 5-8 months (her recovery is being aggravated by a pre-existing blood condition; the surgery was to prevent the same thing happening to her that killed Natasha Richardson.) Her biggest concern right now seems to be acquiring a multi-region DVD player so she can raid my collection, which is mostly Region 2 (we’re in the States) :slight_smile:

My mother sees the owner of this company frequently (or rather she did/will when she’s well), and she has been recovering at home, watching me as I unpack. She was just as stunned, as in the past, these guys have been incredibly good and reliable in the past (they helped me to move from another state when I needed quickly to remove my stuff from my ex’s house). This time was a drag from start to finish. Or nearly finish; I am still sifting through boxes.

The owner of the company, I have no problem with; it was the two knob-ends he delegated most of the packing to this time – let’s put it this way, I was NOT happy to return to my apartment that afternoon to discover they’d eaten most of the food in my fridge, especially as I’m on a pretty tight budget.

I don’t have the heart to tell her that one of the broken records was a 78 which was her favorite record as a dance champ back in the 1940s (she’s 81 now) that she’d given me a long time back as I have a Victrola. I’m dreading her asking me to play it for her; fortunately, my partner is on the case on eBay, as I found another copy of it.

The other fun thing is that my birth certificate is God knows where now, as they threw things into boxes willy-nilly, and this state requires a BC, proof of Social security number, and all sorts of paperwork now to renew a driving licence (in the past all you needed was your old driving licence and proof of your new address.) Each new discovery is another cherry on the bun.

Moving from a house I was renting to the house I bought only a few blocks away.
Hired some movers on a friend’s recommendation - ‘These guys are the best! And they are cheap!!’
Moving day arrives - no movers. Numerous phone calls to the movers go unanswered.
Panic ensues! Luckily, I had already moved most of the small stuff.

Go to the local pub & recruit acquaintances and stangers for cash to move the heavy stuff - washer/dryer, refrigerator etc.

Never, ever heard from the missing movers!

When I moved from New Hampshire to St. Louis I hired movers; I didn’t have much stuff, but I would have had to rent a truck and I didn’t want to tow my car halfway across the country.

My stuff ended up taking three times as long as it should have. The reason is that when the driver got to St. Louis, he tried to call me, but apparently the number on his forms was written sloppily, so he was calling the wrong number; a non-existent number, apparently. After a day, he gave up and went on to his next stop: in Arizona. I didn’t get my stuff until he came back.

My thought was, if you’ve spent a day failing calling a non-working number, wouldn’t you think to call the home office and ask “is this number right?” They had my correct number there.

That lame-ass reason is that home owner’s insurance doesn’t cover flood damage. [/sad voice of experience]

We moved eighteen times before I was sixteen. Even as an adult, instead of being wary of moving, I don’t mind it too much and tend to have a restless bug. Admittedly, I do move much less. Most of my moves went well, but we moved ourselves each time so far, and the time before the last the only day we could get the UHaul truck it was 97 degrees in the shade. We about died.

If you read the terms and conditions when you created your account you would have noted that marketing of products is not permitted, that’s why your post was reported as spam. If you instead wanted to participate in the discussions and offer helpful advice directly I believe (although I’m not a mod) you would be welcome.

Last year we hired movers to pack our things, since we’ve moved a million times and things are always getting damaged. The moving van was in an accident on the way to our new place. They forgot to call us and tell us. It took two days to get our stuff, in sweltering July with no air conditioning in the new place. A lot of it was damaged from the accident, but a lot of it was also damaged from negligence. What particularly angered me were the rolls of packing tape wrapped around my wood furniture. When the packing tape was removed, the finish was ripped off.

Our next move will be out of state. I’m not even sure what we’re going to do. Probably rent a truck like we did to get out here in the first place. It was a PITA but I have to admit it was our best move - even though the truck broke down halfway through and they had to put us up in a hotel overnight, and we had to move all our stuff from the old truck to the new truck…

Yeah, moving sucks.

What Moonlitherial says is true, Mover Advice.* We welcome your expertise, but not you showing up hawking your book. If you’d like to help, please do! We would like to learn from your experience. But this thread is old, and reviving it makes it look like you’re just selling your book. How about addressing a couple of things raised by other posters, instead?

I’m going to leave this open since others have joined in the discussion.

*A name change might be in order if you’d sincerely like to become a member of the board. We’d like to make you welcome.