Tell Me Your "My Cat Was Missing For Days But Came Home" Stories

The cat came home!!

I guess he had been to see the queen. :smiley:

Today was rough for me. I had really started to accept that he was laying dead in a ditch somewhere, never to be seen again. I cried all day off and on. Life was sucking, hard.

Then tonight, just a few minutes ago, while I was feeding the dogs, the thought popped into my mind that he was out on the porch waiting to be let in. I didn’t hear him meow or jump off the banister or anything- there was no reason why I would know he was out there. But I had that thought, and I literally ran to the door and opened it, and there he was!!

Ohmygodsohappy!

Reunited and it feels so good.

Thanks for your stories. They did help me to keep a tiny piece of hope alive! And thanks for the well wishes. He ate a LOT.

I am so happy for you.

Really glad to hear it. Give that kitty a scritch.

Thank you.

I feel like a crazy cat lady for how upset I had become, and how happy I am now. But I love this cat; we are very close. :stuck_out_tongue: I miscalculated his age because math is hard- he is 3 and 1/2. I got him right after I moved here to NC from AZ and he has been with me through a lot.

While he was gone, I was thinking about how he hogs my pillow like in the pic I linked, and only gives me the bottom part, and yet I sleep better that way than when he’s not there.

I just came here to look for an update, and it was the one we all wanted.

:cool:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your cat has telepathic control over you. He doesn’t even have to meow in order for you to do his bidding.

The next time you go grocery shopping you won’t have any recollection of buying 20 cans of prime albacore tuna.

I’m so glad you had a happy reunion :slight_smile:

Oh I’m so happy to hear it!!!

:slight_smile:

:slight_smile: Hooray for happy endings

I, for one, welcome… Well, you know.

The story of my three furry friends; Faust was born in 1999, he was the only long haired one in the litter (daddy was a Norwegian forest cat, mommy a typical mix of everything) he moved around with his owner, my (then) girlfriend, until she moved somewhere with no outside. The he came to live with me. On day one my roommate let him out. I thought that would be the end of the story but 3 hours later he was sitting on my doorstep happily meauwing to be let back in. My apartment had a closed of back yard and for the next few years he could come and go as he pleased.
He was always welcoming me in the street after I parked my car and we would race to the door (he always allowed me a huge lead before sprinting to the win)
At some point I was renovating the apartment (from the '30s ) and the open crawl space led to a huge mice infestation, he was catching upwards of 3 mice a day. One day my parents visited and of course a mouse showed himself. With my mother sitting on the table, I opened the front door, called Faust and he came running; catching and killing the mouse in under a minute.
He would walk with me into town, only stopping at the railway. He would walk my friends home (some of my friends live nearby) My friends would off course encourage such behavior (once with a herring)

And ever 3 or four years he would escape in the days before new year; in holland we tend to overdo it with fireworks on New Year’s Eve. I always tried to keep Faust indoors for that period of the year but as you’d imagine it’s tricky to keep a true outdoors cat indoors. He’d escape and get spooked by the fireworks and be gone for a week. I don’t know where he went but he always returned around the 5th of January.

Then I met my wife; she lived nearby and of course Faust walked with us to her place. She had 2 cats; Chelsea and Indy. After some initial unfriendliness they got on fine. When she moved in with me the cats came with. Chelsea had an adventurous streak and would be gone for a week a couple times per year, once while a friend of mine was cat sitting during my holiday:)

Then we got married and got pregnant and needed a place with more than one bedroom. We moved to a house on the other side of town. The first night we slept there my eldest was born (3 months premature) while my wife was still in hospital Chelsea escaped on the second night (through my screened bedroom window) I dreaded telling my wife but on the fourth night I was woken up by a cat sitting on top of the garden shed meauwing it’s head of.
So in 16 years my cats always came back:)

Then my son became allergic to cats:(

We found homes for all of them, but last month Faust, who was living with an old roommate of mine (and his) got disoriented and incontinent and we took him to the vet.
He was the best cat.

You’re not crazy. He’s a family member, so why wouldn’t you worry? So glad he came to his senses. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear the cat came back (we thought he was a goner)!

Had a lot of cats over the years and most of them have been homebodies but we do have one big traveler. We have a tuxedo cat that turned up missing one day. Looked for her all over and no Squeaky, not for days and weeks. We figured something happened to her, we didn’t know what and it was sad and we missed her.

And then one day about six months later there she was on the doorstep, crying to be let in. She was thin and kinda patchy looking but there was our Squeaky.

From what the neighbors told us when we were looking for her, she had a bad habit of going to other people’s houses and seeing if they would give her anything. (We fed her a bunch but she was looking for variety.) The people down the street apparently thought she was their cat and when they moved, they took her with them. Dunno where they went to or how she figured out the way home, but she did it.

Still with us today, 19 going on 20 and mostly stays inside and when she goes outside she doesn’t go outside the fence. We make sure!

I’m so glad your baby came home!

My cat, Sadie, will sometimes get into moods where she tries to bolt out of the apartment at any given opportunity. Usually she just sniffs around near the front door, I grab her and bring her back in, and that’s it.

Some years ago she managed to slip out without me noticing. By the time I realized she had escaped she was long gone. This sucked, and hard, because I had to fly across the country for a work trip the very next day. There was nothing to be done about it.

Several days after I got home from the trip, I was walking back from the nearby Blockbuster and found Sadie sitting on the back porch, giving me one of those “well it’s about damn time” looks.

I brought her inand she immediately curled up on my luggage to take a nap.

Sadie is still going strong at 12 years old. She is still a champion napper and I’m still really bad at putting my luggage away after a trip.

So many happy stories! Yay for the return of all these well-loved kitties. I love a happy ending.

Yay! Glad Kitty came back!

I know! You have to wonder, though, where they go and what they do… I swear, when GoPros get small and cheap enough to attach to a collar, I’m going to find out and report back.

Oh good news - I came in to tell the story of my cat Merlin who went missing for a week and then turned up late one evening, hungry and skinny, but alive. We figured he’d got trapped in someone’s garage and they went away for a week or so. Never did find out, but lucky to have him back, as you are!

Very happy to hear he’s home. The fact that he’s back won’t stop me from telling my tale:

Years ago I had an outdoor cat. One morning I drove him the the vet for a routine visit. I didn’t have a carrier so I stupidly just tried carrying him into the building.

As I was crossing the parking lot with him in my arms he made his break. He clawed my shoulders and leapt out of my arms.

Over the next several days I became convinced I’d never see him again. Then, one day about a week later, I heard him meowing to come in.

He had traveled more than 5 miles to come home.
mmm