Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

You’re right. Should be C85700000 after Oxygen.

Nicolette Larson, who sang backup for Neil Young, Linda Ronstadt, et al. and had a hit probably was a casualty, dying at the age of 45.

Larson died on December 16, 1997, in Los Angeles, California, as a result of complications arising from cerebral edema triggered by liver failure.[12]

According to her friend Astrid Young, Neil Young’s half-sister, Larson had been showing symptoms of depression, and her fatal seizure “was in no small way related to her chronic use of Valium and Tylenol PM.”[13]

Lotta Love

Fair point. Beetles were reliable but as the years went by, became increasingly outdated. Ever see the 1959 Bel Air vs. 2009 Impala crash? 50 years of safety innovation add up.

It’s interesting that some names are dropped but later reappear, like the Beetle being resurrected in modern form. And the Ford Maverick name is returning to the US…as a truck?

Earth is the only planet not named after a god.

Tripler
That’s all I got–I’m tired today.

In English… Tellus, Terra and Gaia were gods.

That was, IIRC, part of the problem. Tylenol came out with a bunch of different versions that were essentially Tylenol + something else. Like Tylenol PM = Tylenol + a sleep aid. But then people just took it for the “something else”, like taking Tylenol PM to help them sleep, even when they didn’t need the pain killer part, just assuming the acetaminophen wouldn’t hurt them.

As I understand, the word “earth” originally just meant “soil”. Then once people realized this thing we’re standing on is actually a planet, it’s meaning expanded to mean this entire planet that’s covered with soil in addition to the soil itself.

This may be the first time two homophones held their respective championship trophies in a single year for American professional sports.

Bucks, Bucs.

Don’t bet on Pittsburgh’s “Go, Bucs” to win the World Series.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E is an electric SUV that bears no resemblance to the classic muscle car.

Well, there’s the six taillights but otherwise…

Photic sneeze response is also called autosomal dominant compelling helio-ophthalmic outburst syndrome … or ACHOO syndrome :woman_facepalming:t2:

So how long did it take to gin up a name for the syndrome that made the cute acronym? (Especially since they apparently skipped the word dominant in it.)

Hmm, 1978? So circa. 1954 to 1978.

The phenomenon was first described in the 1950s […] In the 1970s, the condition was formalized under the acronym ACHOO. (Yes, really.) It stands for “autosomal dominant compelling helio-ophthalmic outburst syndrome.”

~Max

Guinea pigs have nothing to do with Guinea and are of course not pigs.

The animals were called “pig coneys” in a 1607 treatise (coney being a word for rabbit in some dialects of English). That became “coney-pig” by 1653, which corrupted to “ginny-pig”, which then became spelt “guinea-pig” under the influence of the then-new guinea coin.

But why “pig” at all? The German, Polish and Russian names for the animal translate as “little sea-pig”– Meerschweinchen in German, for instance. Along the Pacific coast of South America guinea pigs were sometimes used as livestock on sailing ships to provide fresh meat for the sailors while disposing of kitchen waste, a job traditionally done by pigs elsewhere. So they were thought of as pigs in the functional sense of “animals used as livestock on ships” rather than from any actual relationship or resemblance.

Why are they associated with experiments?

~Max

Emil Roux and Emil von Behring used guinea pigs to develop the diphtheria vaccine, which was one of the first vaccines to be developed (smallpox was taking an existing, harmless virus, but this involved developing one from scratch). Paul de Kruif’s chapter in Microbe Hunters was titled “Massacre the Guinea Pigs,” indicating how extensively they were used.

Interesting. I will have to check that book out at some point.

~Max

The phrase, ‘take out’, means food, dating AND murder!

The weakest known radioactive decay is the transition of Thorium-229m to the ground state of Th-229. It’s so weak it’s difficult to measure accurately but it is currently estimated to be about 8 electron-volts, when nuclear decays are typically in the range of hundreds of thousands or millions of electron volts. This corresponds to emitting a “gamma ray” of about 150nm wavelength, in the upper ultraviolet region of the spectrum.

I expect lots of people knew this already, but tonight I learned that the blue stripes in Tutankhamun’s death mask are made out of glass. I thought they were lapis lazuli.

I thought the same, though I think you mean funeral mask. These are death masks: