Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

When I was little there was a famous cricket player from India called Farook Engineer. This in the 70s
I don’t think I’ve spelt his first name right.

Yeap. He is Parsi/Parsee too

Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” didn’t have a proper title for three years. It was simply “the disco song” from '75 to '78.

I was listening to some classics and saw that Aretha Franklin’s “Respect” was written and originally released by Otis Redding (most noted for “Sitting by the Dock of the Bay”). Otis is another rising music star that died in a plane crash. Never mind drugs and ham sandwiches, plane crashes have killed more music stars before their time than anything else.

I only found out recently that Bobbie Gentry and Pat Benatar are women !
(I guess the Bobbie spelling should have been a clue - maybe i never saw
it written down before.)

So, there’s something you should probably know about Alice Cooper and Marylin Manson…

No one got this, did they?

Sad.

Got it, just didn’t want to encourage such behavior in public.

Are we supposed to associate it with something?

Nice one

Italian musician Adriano Celentano once released a song called “Prisencolinensinainciusol,” which was written in English-sounding gibberish, as an attempt to demonstrate that Italians would love any song with American lyrics, despite not understanding those lyrics.

It’s got a pretty sick groove. You can hear it here.

It’s too bad the Louie Louie translators never worked on this one.

I’ve known this for a while, but the lyrics to the closing theme to WKRP in Cincinnati are sung the same way. They’re just gibberish.

TIL: Charlie Farquarson was married to Jan Compton in real life.

The bottom 7/8ths of Jan was missing, while only the bottom 1/2 of Charlie.

In Japanese, it’s actually called wasei-eigo ([和製英語] meaning “Japanese-made English” or “English words coined in Japan”)

I often had more problems with those than pure Japanese words.

Another example is kanningu (カンニング) which does not mean “cunning”, but “cheating” (on a test).

Off topic, but I wondered if you were familiar with “Nisibisi”? IIRC, it was a term Japanese players of Magic: The Gathering had for easily killable creatures, “small squashable monsters.”

Unfortunately, I did not play that game and not aware of it.

Adding to the list of bizarre surgical procedures, there’s rotationplasty. It looks like a cartoon joke but it’s for real. If a cancerous knee joint has to be removed, the surgeons preserve the lower leg and graft it to the stump of the upper leg backward, so the foot and ankle joint can serve as a substitute knee.

Suspect in the 1996 Olympic Park bombing Richard Jewell died in 2007 from complications of diabetes and other health issues. . .

But he outlived Kathy Scruggs, the reporter who broke the story that he was the focus of the investigation. She died in 2001 of a morphine overdose, not living to see that Eric Rudolph had been linked to the crime.

Various accounts indicate that she lived. . . rather hard.