Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

No, he made the same mistake only once. First, he made the mistake. Then, he made the same mistake (once).

You made what I call the Heraclitus fallacy.

That’s obscure.

I just found out that James Baskett was only forty-two years old when he played Uncle Remus in Song of the South.

It was his last role. He died two years later at the age of forty-four.

I’ve always referred to that as the George Carlin observation.

Well, if you take it literally, it’s in Spanish, a language not native to the Aztecs. But it originated as an Aztec food.

And for all his smiling demeanor, he was already ill with heart disease, which would ultimately take his life at an early age.

In North Carolina, stealing this stuff is a felony.

A rash of pine-straw thefts more than 20 years ago led Wilson and other pine straw farmers to press for protection. Law enforcement didn’t take the thefts seriously, Wilson said. It was just pine needles. Theft of personal property valued at less than $1,000 was a misdemeanor. But the pine straw farmers eventually persuaded state legislators to make it a felony to steal any amount of pine straw.

It might’ve helped that the pine is North Carolina’s official state tree.

Bare-knuckle boxing is less likely to cause death or serious injury than fighting with gloves.

Invisible versus visible harm
Really, this is a question of whether you think serious but invisible harm (brain damage) is better or worse than bruised and cut faces with blood everywhere.

Society has already made that choice, and they prefer brain damage. Out of sight, out of mind.

The gloves are used to protect the hands. Society prefers brain damage to hand damage.

Face damage … dueling scars were a mark of the German military caste, and they aren’t the only ones.

It was widely assumed Baskett would be at least nominated for an Oscar for “Song of the South.” When the voters didn’t nominate him, the Academy just gave him an Oscar anyway.

Baskett is the last adult actor awarded an honorary Oscar for one specific performance.

Some rail crossings have traffic lights for the trains!

Pretty much all light rail/trolley crossings have lights for the train, though they’re called ‘signals’

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=light%20rail%20signal&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=light%20rail%20signal&sc=8-17&cvid=4B0120DF069141659B6830D69906B028&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover

Did you watch the video? That’s not your typical ‘signal’.

Diabetes actually…

Wow, he died from diabetes at 42?

Since childhood, Connors had disliked his first name, Kevin, and he had sought another name. He tried using “Lefty” and “Stretch” before finally settling on “Chuck”.[3] The name derived from his time as a player on Seton Hall’s baseball team. He would repeatedly yell to the pitcher from his position on first base, “Chuck it to me, baby, chuck it to me!” The rest of his teammates and spectators at the university’s games soon caught on, and the nickname stuck.[4]

And

In 1966, Connors played an off-field role by helping to end the celebrated holdout (see reserve clause) by Los Angeles Dodgers pitchers Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax when he acted as an intermediary during negotiations between management and the players.[14] Connors can be seen in the Associated Press photo with Drysdale, Koufax and Dodgers general manager Buzzie Bavasi announcing the pitchers’ new contracts.[15]

Francis Galton (the famous polymath, statistician and eugenicist) invented the dog whistle.

Prince Philip’s uncle Alexander died from an infection after he was bitten by a pet monkey.

Spherical metal tanks are manufactured by welding together a sort of low-polygon version of the tank, then filling with water and detonating a small explosive charge inside. Amazing to watch:

Wouldn’t that weaken the welds?