Tell us something odd or interesting about your immediate neighborhood.

oops, I read neighbors…I see you meant neighborhood.

The convenience store four blocks from my house was featured in a couple of key scenes in the movie Ghost World.

A neighbor across the street and a couple of houses down has a fenced in front yard with a 400 lb. pig in it. I’m guessing it was a small pot bellied pet and they didn’t know that it wouldn’t stay small. Why they couldn’t put it in the back yard is beyond me. It looks rather strange right in the middle of town.

The farm across the road from my subdivision includes:

5 cows
3 Thoroughbred horses
4 miniature horses
15 or so goats
1 emu (he goes by the names “ET”)
1 mule (we call her Francis)

The owner of the farm is an ordained Baptist minister and on Easter Sunday they have sunrise services on the farm. They also perform baptisms in the pond.

<hijack>

Hi Cuz! waving

</hijack>

OK, since I just hijacked, I should put in my $.02 :wink:

The only remarkable thing about my immediate neighborhood is that, before development, it was owned by a vintner. Acres and acres of vineyards. I find it sort of bizarre, as that nowadays there isn’t any inkling of vineyards around here. Unless you coun’t Martha’s Vineyard, that is.
My town’s history is sort of fascinating, though – it’s got a lot of “firsts” in the country, as well as being the birthplace of an ex-president. I’ll leave it at that and have you figure out where I live :slight_smile:

We have a farmer neighbor two doors down. His barn is at the end of a “T” intersection. The barn has been hit by cars over 40 times in the last 35 years or so. There have been numerous deaths and at least one decapitation due to these accidents.

I don’t have anything as interesting in my neighborhood as other posters in this thread but I can tell you that everyone on our side of the street is related in some way to my husband. That’s about a half mile of in-laws, cousins and grandparents.

The other “interesting” thing about my neighborhood (depending on your definition of “interesting”) is our neighbor across the street who works as a topless dancer/stripper. She apparently enjoys doing yardwork before going into work wearing her work uniform that consists of a tiny pleated skirt and pasties. :eek:

In Lauryn Hill’s song “Every Ghetto, Every City”, she makes references to landmarks in Newark, Irvington, and East Orange, NJ.

She starts off with:

I was just a little girl
Skinny legs, a press and curl
My mother always thought I’d be a star
But way before the record deal
The streets that nurtured Lauryn Hill
Made sure that I never go too far
Every ghetto, every city, and suburban place I’ve been
Make me recall my days in the New Jerusalem
Story starts at Hootaville
Grew up next to Ivy Hill

Ivy Hill is a huge apartment complex that sits on the border of Newark, Irvington, and South Orange. That’s where I live now.

That’s the most interesting thing about my 'hood. Sad but true.

I live on Capitol Hill in Denver. It’s a neat old neighborhood with primarily brick houses and apartment buildings. The Molly Brown House is 2 blocks from where I live.

The reason for all the brick? There was a terrible fire in 1863 and the city outlawed the construction of wooden structures in this neighborhood until after World War II!

I live on the side of a big hill, part of a glaciated river valley. Directly across the street from my house is a square block with nothing on it except a few trees and grass (which the city mows once a week). In the winter it is a very popular place, people come from all over to go sledding on the hill. In the summer, however, nobody uses it since it is only trees and grass, so we use it as an extesion of our yard. It is quite nice, we don’t have to pay taxes or mow it. No one will ever build on it, as it used to be the city dump. It was all buried years and years ago, but once in awhile a sinkhole will open up. Our yard was on the edge of the dump and I will ocasionally find pieces of glass or stoneware that makes it back up to the surface. Once I found a little china figurine of a girl, just the torso so I am assuming it came with a fabric skirt or something. It isn’t even broken or chipped, so it is a pretty cool find.

Our house is a common 1950’s ranch style house, but many of the houses in my neighborhood are those huge Victorian mansions, those are pretty cool.

There’s actually an interesting park in your neighborhood. There was a graduate of L.A. High School in 1916 named Greayer Clover, who, after a year of college went to France to fight in the war, first for the French Army, and then for ours. He actually persuaded five of his Yale classmates to join him. Eventually he fell while in a training flight; his childhood friends got the city to found the park and they planted an oak tree in his honor. The park’s at 39th and Dayton, but I couldn’t find the oak when I looked for it.

Because of his aviation activities, they named what’s now called Santa Monica Airport “Clover Field”; which name is now only remembered in the street name Cloverfield.

There’s a XIX° century moveable bridge 100 yards away . It’s lifted straight up by huge metal wheels and cables. Also, behind what appear to the ordinary doors of an ordinary building, instead of a courtyard, there’s an old Jewish cemetery, surrounded by recidency building.
I spent recently a couple years in a countryside town where I rented a little apartment in a residency for students. The building used to be a prison or “rehabilitation” place for women, ran by nuns. I could still notice the marks of the bars on my window stone frame. In the park in front of the building, there was another small cemetary where the nuns used to be buried. There was a rose bush growing on each grave.
The village where I’ve been brought up was build on still another cemetary, used from the roman times until the X° century or so. Every time someone would build anything, they would dig up stone sarcophagus or urns. When I was a child, most of the watering places for cattle in the meadows were such reused sarcophagus, and so was the tub under a couple springs/fountains. Roman tiles also are abundant, and there’s a number of them in my mother’s basement, found in fields, brooks, etc…

I live in a small city called Falls Church, VA, which is only about 10 miles from Washington, DC. This city’s history dates back to the colonial days. I live just a few houses away from the site of the area’s first permanent structure, Big Chimneys, which was built in 1699 and served as a rest stop for travelers. Big Chimneys was a large log house named for its two huge chimneys. The house was torn down in 1908, but now the site is a park.

Falls Church sprung up at the intersection of two ancient Indian trails which are now known as Leesburg Pike (Route 7) and Lee Highway (Route 29). I live just moments from this intersection.

Falls Church is named after The Falls Church which was founded in 1734 and whose congregation has included George Washington and Virginia statesman George Mason. Again, I live only a couple of blocks from the church. It’s fun to walk around its old cemetery.

Another interesting thing is that I live smack dab between two bowling alleys. One is a duckpin alley that was built in the 1960s and is now one of the only remaining duckpin alleys in the region. The other is a Bowl America. Too bad I don’t like to bowl!

The neighborhood I’m moving into was once part of the summer estate of a 19th century San Francisco banker. (Our new house was actually his caretakers cottage).

The town itself (which is very small) once housed 4 TB sanitariums. Into the 1930’s, sanitarium residents outnumbered actual town residents.

Maybe we should disallow posts from people in obviously historical places … Paris, Rome, Athens…Just kidding!

Well, my current neighborhood used to be Air Force base housing. It was converted into condos some time in the 80’s. The base is currently a Reserve base so I get C-5’s flyng over my house all the time. It’s very cool. You can see the landing gear.

Other than that, my town is a crappy little town whose biggest claim to fame is McArthur’s Ball. It’s this huge ball in the center of town. I have no idea why it’s there. My fiancee tells me there’s another one somewhere in South or Central America. His brother tells me the penis in the middle of the Atlantic.
As for my hometown, I didn’t really have a neighborhood. I lived everywhere so the whole city was my neighborhood. Anyway, it has 10 colleges. It was named All American City in '00 (I think) after 6 firefighters died in a warehouse fire. Dennis Leary and Alicia Witt are from there. I’m sure there are more celebrities but I don’t know who they are. Adam Sandler was either from my hometown or the town next to it, I’m not sure which.
Robert Goddard taught there. A tornado ripped though the city some 50 years or so ago. To this day, if you look out the window of my 8th grade Spanish class, you can see the path of the tornado. The trees still wont grow there.
I know there’s a bunch more interesting stuff but I can’t remember it anymore.

The outtake at the end of the film where Steve Bucemi goes Postal and kicks the crap out of someone is absolutely hilarious! What city/town is this in? The wife and I were trying despretely to figure it out while we watched the movie. My guess was somewhere in Oregon. Or maybe New Jersey.

I guess I don’t have a clue! Help me out! :wink:

Hmmm, is this north of the river or south? I’m guessing south although I haven’t heard the plantation story.

My neighborhood is home to a few of the last remaining moon towers in the country.

I live near, perhaps on, land that had once been owned by Hachaliah Bailey and his performing elephants.