Ten-hut??

Most definitely. And while marching, the command of execution is given on the boot strike of the direction to be taken: left, if column left or column half left; and right if to the right. Right boot, also, for halt, mark time, and to the rear.

As for the right flank example above, the command is *“by the right flank,” *(pause), “HUH!”

If this represents the boot strikes:

left
right
left
right

etc…
then the commands would be given with the following timing:

left
right
(“by the”)
left (“right”)
right (“flank”)
left (pause)
right (“HUH!”)
Commands for a column right would be,

left (“column”)
right (“right”)
left (pause)
right (“HUH!”)

I hope that makes sense and is clear.

“Sir, hold up. I don’t get it…you said “right” when I was on the left foot. Did you get that right?”

This post doesn’t really answer the OP, but it addresses some of the other stuff that’s been posted. It is obvious that different branches of the military have a different way of doing things. I’ll explain how it is in the Army. Or, rather, how it is supposed to be in the Army. Not everyone does it properly.

Every command in the Army should have distinctiveness and inflection. Each syllable in the command should be enunciated properly and distinctly. The command of execution ATTENTION should sound like the word attention, as SSG Schwartz mentions. “tench-huh”, “teeeen-hut” or any other variation is not the proper way to deliver a command.
The command of execution should also have infliction. The preparatory command is given at a normal pitch, and the command of execution is given at a higher pitch, with sharper tone, and plenty of snap.
Properly given, the command should sound like this:
“Platoon” (pause) “Ah-tenn-SHUHN” (inflection on the last syllable.)

The pause should be the time amount of time a step takes. Normal marching cadence is 120 steps per minute. That’s 2 steps per second, so the pause should be a half second.

Currently, the preparatory command should be given as the appropriate foot strikes the marching service. So, for a right flank, it’s the right foot. When that foot strikes the ground, the leader gives the command “Right Flank”, the next step with the left foot is the intermediate step. This is the pause between the two commands. The very next time the right foot strikes the ground, the leader gives the command of execution, “MARCH”. The next step with the left foot is the additional step between the command of execution and the action step. The following step with the right foot should be in the new direction as the Soldiers carry out the command.

For the Army, it would be like this:

left
right
(“Right Flank”)
left (Intermediate step)
right (“MARCH”)
left (Additional step)
right (Soldiers execute the Action by stepping off with this foot in the new direction)

Commands for a column right would be,

left
right (“Column Right”)
left (Intermediate Step)
right (“MARCH”)
left (Additional step)
right (Soldiers execute the Action by stepping off with this foot in the new direction)

:smiley:

“Oh, and Airman? You might want to consider a haircut. Keep in mind this is only a suggestion.”

Slightly off-topic, but I am recollecting my Drill Sergeant, SSG Jackson, from basic training at Fort Knox (Agony! Misery!) in 1988 being thoroughly chewed out by the post chaplain, whom happened to be wandering by as we were being marched to the PX to a cadence that contained some colorful phrases.

SSG Jackson was pissed at being browbeaten in front of us by that guy, and in retrospect, it really wasn’t a professional thing to do on the part of the officer, even if he was only a chaplain.

Chefguy, FoieGraslsEvil, the comments about the Air Force were uncalled for! How can you expect us to do 50 push ups? IN A ROW? We are the Chair Force after all. Hair cuts? If we cut our hair, we would be indistinguishable from the rabble that joined the other branches. Sheesh.

For those who asked, RPOC is Recruit Petty Officer in Charge. There was also the RCPO, or Recruit Chief Petty Officer.

A jody is a chant while marching, which is call and response, such as:

Platoon leader: “I don’t know but I’ve been told. . .”
Platoon: repeats
PL: “Eskimo pussy is mighty cold”
Platoon: repeats
PL: Sound off!
Platoon: one, two!
PL: Sound off!
Platoon: three, four!

Repeat with other witty combinations.

IIRC you did live in Alaska, chefguy. So I have to ask: is it?

Yes. The command you mentioned is the preparatory command. The key is that the command of execution is given on the right foot for this command.

I’d like to modify this slightly:

left
right
(“Right Flank”)
left (Intermediate step)
right (“MARCH”)
left This is where the command is executed. Everyone in the platoon pivots on this foot, to the right.

I have no first-hand knowledge of the climatic (or climactic) condition of the nether regions of our Alaska Native brethren.

echo7tango, you are really too kind here–I was trying to get a rise out of you as drill sergeant.

Now you look whooshed, and I feel bad. Sorry.

Such as:

PL: If I die on a Russian front
Platoon: Repeats
PL: Bury me with a Russian…Rifle
Platoon: Huh???
I still love doing that one.

SFC Schwartz

SSR or SFC Schwartz (who said a life of beer, NASCAR, and baseball could keep a man down?),

All I know from Army is what Hollywood tells me :dubious: and what I learn here.

So: in Eyes Wide Shut they do the “Eskimo pussy” one. (Thats from Vietnam time–I wonder about the history and the whole repertory of those. I’ll do some Googling).

The famous Drill Instructor (Sergeant? Army/Marine is different, I think), runs with his men.

Coupla questions:

First, which prompted this post: what do they — the recruits-- call that guy? If it’s you, they’re not calling you by your rank, but by your role.

But anyway, the guy calling out the jody–did i say that right in a sentence?–is always…who? RPOC is you, otherwise a SSG or SFC? And the “in charge” part is a come and go thing? (Ad hoc, one might say. :))

Finally, in the movie the DI’s pets are those in the barracks. One DI, one barracks-worth? What’s a barracks-worth? (Insert joke here), ie what is that grouping called, and how many men? A platoon, as in your Jody examples?

And the two other dudes who appear when he wakes up the men. Who are they (assuming the movie is historically correct)?

And that’s the DI’s load for all basic training? That’s the impression the movie left me with.

Thanks,
Leo

No, because the pivot does not happen as part of that count. They cannot pivot until the left foot is down. And once it is down, that step has concluded. The pivot is simultaneous with the start of the final count, if that makes sense. The act for that count is simply a 30" step forward with the trail foot (left foot). Once the left foot strikes the marching service, the next movement begins. That movement is all part of the final count, the action step. The action step in that particular movement involves both pivoting on the left foot and stepping off with a 30" step in the new direction with the trail foot (right foot).

Though we’re probably just splitting hairs. However, the Army uses PICAA to identify each step in a movement.

P- Preparatory Command
I - Intermediate Step
C- Command of Execution
A- Additional Step
A- Action Step

[quote=“Leo_Bloom, post:34, topic:654997”]

So: in Eyes Wide Shut they do the “Eskimo pussy” one. (Thats from Vietnam time–I wonder about the history and the whole repertory of those. I’ll do some Googling).

So, Leo, I suspect the Kubrick flick you’re thinking of is Full Metal Jacket.

Thats the scene where Joker goes to this mansion where everyone’s wearing masks and screwing.

:smack:

Army says “A-ten-HUT”, Air Force cuts out the “A” and replaces it with whoever you’re addressing, such as “Room Ten HUHH” or “Squadron Ten HUHH”.

When you are in joint training environments, it can get interesting. Was once in a room full of Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force (about half of the room being from that last category) that got roused out of our seats with a call of “OFFICER ON DECK”.

It was an Army base, naturally.

And “Jody,” btw, is the guy who’s screwing your wife or girl while you’re marching around a base.