Thanos maybe had a good idea but....

Well, I was drinking pretty heavily, so not sure which part you are confused by. I’m guessing on re-reading your post I was replying to that you are talking about the fantasy movie world, not reality, so perhaps that’s where the confusion comes in on my part and wrt my reply. Perhaps in the Marvel universe Thanos ‘had a good idea’, but in the real world it’s ridiculous and unnecessary. That said, it is a discussion of that world, so the logic, such as it is, of that world and how it works is in the context of the movie, not reality.

Plus, this will learn me not to drink and post. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well…he WAS infatuated with her though, and part of the reason he wanted to kill half of life was to impress her and basically make her his wife. There was a whole rivalry thing going between him and Deadpool over her. He wasn’t doing it, at least not in my recollection, for some sort of balance thing, he was doing it to get into her pants. The movies Thanos is actually a more sympathetic character, deeply flawed, to be sure and his plan is stupid and flawed, but it’s a bit more noble a reason for killing half of all life to try and save them than because he wants to scrump death.

Right, that’s what I’m saying. He didn’t personally care one way or the other about killing half the universe, but he knew that’s what Death wanted, and he thought if he did what she wanted, she’d “have” to love him back. Then, when he gets the stones and the gauntlet, and is effectively omnipotent, she’s *still *not into him. What’s interesting is that there’s absolutely no narrative support for Thanos. In a lot of stories, particularly in this era, this would have been presented as something sympathetic or humanizing about him: instead, it comes across as pathetic and cringey. (Especially when he makes a “perfect woman” for himself to try to make Death jealous.) It makes a really interesting contrast for a character whose power is otherwise unlimited, and makes him a compelling yet wholly unsympathetic villain, in a very different way than they did in the MCU.

(The Deadpool thing was much later - Deadpool didn’t exist as a character when Infinity Gauntlet was published.)

They made a movie about that very thing…

My finger snap idea would be a multiple-pronged thing- the discovery of cheap FTL travel and the subsequent discovery of a LOT of worlds compatible for Earth life, without all manner of nasty indigenous species and/or aliens to compete with. Sure, we wouldn’t HAVE to leave the solar system, if we’re willing to live in space, etc… Most people probably won’t want to live in space, nor will they want to live like hamsters in a giant human Habitrail either.

Essentially we’d open things back up for widespread emigration. You’re a religious weirdo sect who can’t play well with others? Here’s your planet, leave everyone else alone. You are poor and want opportunity? Emigrate to Epsilon Eridani, where you can have 1000 acres to farm for free.

Basically we could relieve population pressure on Earth, as well as perform some de-facto segregation of some populations.

XT, to be fair, your post is pretty confusing…

Sure they do - here’s a diagram with the exponential growth phase of a sigmoid growth curve helpfully labeled - I’m guessing you mean “not infinitely into the future” but I have to make some assumptions about your post in order to get there…

But the population of the Earth is, still, famously, increasing - I’m guessing that you mean that there are populations which are declining, like the population of Japan, or the population of Russia between 1992 and 2008 and 2018-present…
Your post makes sense if I make a whole bunch of assumptions about what you’re talking about, and I think I get what you’re saying, but (in the kindest way possible) it’s less than the picture of crystal clarity.