That old-time firearm solvent scent...

Hoppe’s on a boresnake normally, like the fake banana smell. I have another Hoppe’s product (Copper solvent?) but have only used it once. Same with Breakfree CLP - it’s been so long that I can’t remember the smell. I know it’s good, but I irrationally emphasize the LP part in the mind and don’t think about it for C. I’ve used the foam stuff once, kind of messy.

Windex down the barrel first and ASAP with corrosive primers.

Tetra oil on moving parts, Rem Oil mainly if it rains then I can cover the whole thing, but I use it for the 870 mainly as that seems “right.”

That will backfire when the boy leaves her for her dad.

People clean shotguns!? :dubious: :smiley:

You will never convince me that a boresnake can clean a barrel as thoroughly as a proper cleaning rod/brush/patches. I’m firmly in the camp of “If it’s easy it probably doesn’t work”.

Man, go look at some used shotguns, it’s pretty clear that a lot of people don’t! :smack:

Yes, forgot about that one! Borrowed some at a friend’s house last year and it works great.

Of course. Out on the front porch, when your daughter’s boyfriend comes to pick her up.

I’ve known people to use it and WD-40 (and related products) as cleaners. Never my thing but not totally unknown.

She’s a toddler, so it’s a given. But I’d hope when she’s of age she’d clean her own shotgun.

WD-40 is bad for guns because it attracts the gunk you don’t want in your action.

Frog Lube is a new one to me. Someone had to be giggling when they named it.

Or gigging, I’d think.

In addition to cleaning the outer surfaces of guns, I use RemWipes to clean my hand tools (wrenches, ratchets, etc.). I have found nothing better (or more convenient) than RemWipes for cleaning tools.

When I got my first gun about seven years ago, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a basic cleaning kit, which was a Hoppes product and included #9. I continue to use #9, with brushes and patches, for all of my pistols. I like the aroma.

WD 40 should be a fine cleaner as it is a solvent, containing 50% mineral spirits.

Also, this myth that WD 40 somehow attracts more debris than any other lubricant needs to die.

BTW, how do y’all pronounce “Hoppe’s?”

One minor YouTuber (can’t remember who, now) always pronounced it as “Hoppies” and claimed the rest of us were all wrong.

I also pronounce it “Hoppies”, but am not confident enough in that decision to condemn any other pronunciation.

Probably the same thing that happened to Absorbine Sr.

In The Third Bullet, one of Stephen Hunter’s gun novels, the plot is about the Kennedy assassination. In it he cooks up a totally fictional conspiracy that makes more sense than most of the ‘real’ ones out there. An Important Clue is a folded up suit coat found in an elevator house of a building around the corner from the Book Depository. The librul reporter who finds it is mystified by the solvent smell it still has but ol’ Bob Lee recognizes it immediately: Hoppes #9

Oh, and I always pronounced it ‘Hops.’

I’ve heard various theories of why WD-40 is a bad cleaner from the dust/debris one to the “it will make everything shake/come loose” one; I am not sure I believe any of them. It more becomes a case of how much do you use and where. Over oil and anything will pull in the dust-bunnies and soak the wood with crud and run-off. Use it right - a very light coat - and it should be fine.

The people I know using it as a cleaner are doing the same thing I do with #9 – removing it by finishing with several dry cloths and then doing a more conventional trace oiling in the appropriate places. It makes sense that it would be a good cleaner; I just never got the habit.