That song is kinda rape-y, isn't it?

Fire is a completely different song sung by The Pointer Sisters, which I’m more familiar with.

I don’t think the Who song is rapey at all - she just got more or less willingly seduced, and even admits it. It went further with Ivar, but she also “kissed a few.”

I think what JKellyMap may be getting at is that the heroine of this mini-opera is a Girl Guide who is described as a “little girl”. When she encounters Ivar, he offers her candy and asks her to talk a walk with him. So while she may have been willing, it sounds like she may have been waaaaay too young to consent.

On the other hand, plenty of songs refer to teenagers or even adult women as “little girls” (e.g. Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m on Fire”), and while I don’t know the age cut-off for Girl Guides (or what it would have been in the '60s), girls in the US today can be Girl Scouts through high school. I’d guess that the “little girl” in “A Quick One, While He’s Away” was intended to be a teenager and not a young child, but a songwriter today would probably be a lot more careful about making this clear.

I think the “Girl Guide” stuff was just an onstage joke. The original studio recording refers to her only as “little girl.” Since the whole point of the story of her fling with Ivor is that she’s being unfaithful to her absent lover, I assume she is of the age of consent. Either that, or both her lover and Ivor are molesters.

I don’t think it’s made explicit in the song that the girl and her boyfriend have ever actually had sex. Although he is referred to as a man, so if she’s underage that’s still creepy.

As I said, I think she’s supposed to be a teenager, but even without the Girl Guide reference she’s still a “little girl” who’s offered candy by Ivor (who’s old enough to work as an engine driver) and describes what happened next as sitting on Ivor’s lap and then taking a nap with him. This specific wording may have been chosen simply because of the lap/nap rhyme, but it does make the girl sound childlike. Then again, maybe she’s just being coy.

There is a backstory. Originally, Springsteen didn’t think the song Fire fit with the other tracks on Darkness on the Edge of Town. He first offered the song to Donna Summer (he was a fan), but there was a record company conflict so the song wound up going to the Pointer Sisters.

The Pointer Sisters version was the first time Fire was recorded and released, and it was their first big hit, reaching #2 on the U.S. charts in 1978.

The whole idea that the song is “rapey” is retarded. It could just as easily be interpreted as someone teasing or playing hard to get.

I interpreted it as “I can’t figure out what this tastes like.”

Look up the lyrics. It’s the same song; I’ve always interpreted it as someone playing coy or hard-to-get.

As for “Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School”, IMHO it’s about some people who like a little S&M getting their consensual freak on. Knowing what I do now, I’m surprised it doesn’t mention safe words. :o

Sorry, but I can never hear “Fire” without laughing.

I k ow it’s (almost) the same song. The lyrics are different since Bruce is singing about trying to get into a girl’s pants and the Pointer Sisters are singing about wanting a guy despite thier better judgment.

Not yet rapey, but Queensryche’s song “Gonna Get Close to You” [lyrics] is straight up stalker. Despite that, I had a crush on Geoff Tate for the longest time! (Note the username… :smiley: )

I’ve got to mention Muskrat Love, if only for the science going on.

Muskrats, like minks, ferrets, and felines biologically rely on rough sex to induce ovulation in the female. One mink farming strategy uses a scruffy, tough, expendable male to fight with a female until she submits. He is then removed before he can mount her, and the “good” male is put in to inseminate the female.

They played that song at a High School dance these many years ago when I went to HS!

I suspect no-one noticed how horribly inappropriate that was except me (it has a very upbeat sound, most people aren’t at a dance to listen to song lyrics … I probably wouldn’t have caught it, if I wasn’t already familiar with the album). I’m also guessing that was the DJ having a laugh. :wink:

After hearing The Wombats’ Be Your Shadow for the millionth time, it dawned on me that the lyrics could be interpreted as being a bit stalker-ish.

Kiss me with your fist it’s all right
Wrap your hands around my throat I won’t mind
I’m permanent, now I won’t go
I just wanna be your shadow

But maybe I’m being oversensitive.

I’m thinking that’s not rape-y so much as masochist-y.

Gary Pucket and the Union Gap’s This Girl is a Woman Now. How old is “this girl”?

I think Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m on Fire” (pedo creepiness with a suggestion of incest) is 'way more disturbing than “Fire” (sultry attraction in a car).

Just read the lyrics to Fire. I agree it isn’t rapey, but only because he’s only trying to convince her with words. Sure, she is attracted to him. The kisses are mutual. But she’s not ready for sex. And she’s not in love with him.

Had she just pulled away, I could see it as playing coy. But saying she doesn’t love him? That sounds more like saying it’s just a fling, and she doesn’t really want to have sex or be in a relationship with him.

When **An Education **was out, the manager at the movie theater said he would never watch something that featured sex with an underage girl! /righteous indignation

He missed out on a good movie.