[QUOTE=Foldup Rabbit]
Apparently Blue Monday was New Order’s biggest hit. This drives me nuts, because I hate that song.
[/QUOTE]
I was looking through the Billboard Charts on allmusic.com, and it seems New Order have had better charting singles in the US. I’m going by the Billboard Hot 100 or Mainstream Top 40 charts…these have charted higher:
True Faith
Round & Round
Regret
Regret did the best, climbing up to #7 on the Mainstream Top 40 charts and #28 on the Billboard Hot 100. True Faith got to #32 on the Hot 100. Blue Monday only hit #68 on the same chart.
Funny. I would have thought Bizarre Love Triangle would be the big New Order, because that was pretty much played at every high school dance I’ve been to.
Anyhow, I like Blue Monday.
I can’t believe that “Last Kiss” is Pearl Jam’s biggest hit, but it seems it is. Wow.
I just can’t get enough - Depeche Mode…Off course they more hits (Personal Jesus comes to mind) but this one seems to be the one that must people know.
I’m pretty sure that Ani DiFranco did that song “Wishing and Hoping” for the My Best Friend’s Wedding soundtrack, and that seems to be the only song of hers that some people I know know.
Sugary schmaltz is definitely not her common output!
I’d go with “Town By Malice” by The Jam or “Our House” by Madness, which were their biggest hits in America (both groups were more well-known in the UK) but weren’t really indicative of their sounds.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think that these two are entirely atypical of either band!
[QUOTE=Windwalker]
I’m pretty sure that Ani DiFranco did that song “Wishing and Hoping” for the My Best Friend’s Wedding soundtrack, and that seems to be the only song of hers that some people I know know.
Sugary schmaltz is definitely not her common output!
[/QUOTE]
Yes, that was Ani. I die a little knowing that people only know her for that one song but then again, she’s not exactly mainstream so it makes some sense.
Not necessarily atypical, but when you think of all the songs in The Who’s catalog, you wouldn’t think their biggest chart success would be “I Can See For Miles”, but it is, and only peaked at #9.
If you’re going by chart position, The Zombies “She’s Not There” peaked one spot ahead of “Time of the Season”, although “Time of the Season” sold more copies.