The 0-16 NFL thread 2009 edition (Or How I Learned to Love the Lions)

I don’t want Parcells. One of the comments hit the nail on the head. He’s the NFL’s Larry Brown.

overall, larry brown worked out pretty well for the Pistons.

So you are saying I am wrong because the 2 flex games are easier. That would make their schedule easier.

I never said that it didn’t make the schedule easier. You said bad teams are rewarded with an easy schedule, however. I’m saying that while it doesn’t hurt, two games out of 16 do not determine the overall difficulty of a schedule.

That and being in what is considered an easy division. They are locked into a home and home with each team in their division. That does a lot toward the difficulty rating.
They still lost them all.

deleted

Well, if I’m correct, the NFC North plays the NFC West next season, so the Lions two flex games will be against the worst teams in the East and South (Redskins and Saints, respectively), both of whom finished the season 8-8. Considering how inconsistent those two teams are, they could both very likely be much better next season.

As a Bears fan, I sure hope the Detroit head honchos think like you do. :slight_smile:

Seriously, any chance they’ll give carte blanche to someone like Parcells or Cowher?

If they had any sense, they would.

Yeah, the coach-GM thing works great. Ask Mike Holmgren, Bill Parcells in Dallas, and Andy Reid.

No, I’d prefer to stay with a coach. If we’re going to get a new coach, he better be a clear upgrade. I’m not down with Cowher being the cure, either. I think he may help in the short term, but not in the long term.

Parcells wanted the job a couple years ago. It could be the only way to get credibility. Ford decided to stay with Millen.

I dunno. Will Bill Ford keep his hands off? Did hitting rock bottom show them how badly they’ve been doing? Will they spend like they did with Mariucci?

No, we need a pretty good football mind in there, and I’m all for trying something off the wall EXCEPT I fear that if we don’t start with something established and secure, free agents won’t come in at all. Hell, it was hard enough last year getting free agents. We even traded away two impact players that were impending free agents because they’d have almost certainly walked.

Short-term: I’m cool with a Cowher or Parcells
Long term: they better be gone/not coach-GM in three years’ time.

Pretty sure if you were to ask, each would look at his own track record, then at Detroit’s, and give you a pat on the head.

ESPN is reporting that Marinelli has been fired.

Parcells wanted the job and showed active interest a couple years ago. They have a few players and will get a great draft. With the bar set so low ,he could look like a genius in a short time.

Oh, good. I can jot one down in the win column for the 49ers. Plus, with the Seahawks, Cardinals, and Rams each getting one more win, the division won’t look as bad.

Actually, Detroit probably could beat both Seattle and the Rams. :smiley:

Marinelli is holding a press conference. He was canned .

Well, I can’t say that it’s not understandable. Now I just want to know what the plan is.

Plan?

Bullshit. We’re bad but we’re not THAT bad. Even WITH FOURTEEN PLAYERS on Injured Reserve (including3 WRs, and 8 OL, not even counting the fact 80% of our team missed at least SOME time this year.)