The 2021 Gardening Thread - what's going on in your yard?

Crap. I just put pea seeds into the ground - maybe I jumped the gun?

I have some rainbow chard seeds that need planting - thanks for the reminder.

I put in my tomatoes, zucchini, watermelon, green beans, carrots, cucumbers, and lettuce today. Just a few short weeks until tomato sandwiches. Yum!

Depends on what climate zone you live in, and what you’re planting.

Chard and kale survive down to 26 F, or slightly sub-zero C. Peas are also pretty cold tolerant, down to 28 F so you should be OK if you live in the same climate zone I do.

Beans don’t do well in the cold. Seeing as we can get snow in my area as late as early May (although that hasn’t happened in a decade or two, to be honest) I don’t plant beans and other cold-intolerant plants until the end of May/1st of June.

2021’s Backyard:
last year I had a little patch of purple basil (started from a CSA leftover) and some morning glory that comes up when it’s good and ready since I let it go to seed every year. I think I’ll continue with that in containers, as our dirt is not the best for supporting anything actually in the backyard. Any surviving Pointsettia will get added to the mix once it gets warm enough over night.
I would like to get some hanging plants this year, now that the siding is done and we don’t have raccoons. I’m considering holding some yoga classes out there this year as well- for people, not city wildlife. : )

I have various raised beds.

Two wooden ones that are over a decade old were replaced by one longer and narrower bed. That will house tomatoes. I like the small orange cherry ones.

My herb bed has sage, basil and thyme all looking good. A lone strawberry plant that escaped the culling last year will be allowed to do its thing. I gave up on strawberries since their box kept getting grassy and they only produced a handful or two both years.

In another tiered bed I have borage, radishes, lemon grass, carrots and turnips. This bed we went with kitty litter buckets hiding behind the wood framing since 1) the amount of of soil to fill it would have been $$$ and 2) it’s much easier to dump a bucket out to amend the soil at the start of the year vs tilling the box.

Another bed will have cucumbers climbing up a piece of pig fencing.

The green beans get their own small bed with a teepee to climb up.

Brussel sprouts and broccoli in yet another bed.

And then tucked in all the beds but the green beans one I have some Calendula officinalis Mistermage started from seed.

The newest thing we did is planted some raspberries on one corner of the yard. I can’t wait to see that spot turn into a huge mass of pokey greenery :smiley:

Meanwhile my Black Plum tree that was knocked over by last summer’s derecho was absolutely in gorgeous flower. The apple trees are now in full bloom but we’ve had such windiness that there are petals everywhere.

I’m looking forward to bountiful harvests!

I stopped on impulse at a local mom’n’pop nursery the other day, and got an old-fashioned bleeding heart.

I’m so excited, since these don’t grow down South where I used to live. I’ve lusted over them in gardening catalogs for years.

It’s in a pot with a Japanese painted fern, and some hostas. I have a shady spot in the backyard for it.

{rubs hands with glee}

Yeah, my peas have been up for a few days, and have copped for a few frosts already. They seem pretty hardy.

More interesting than peas - my okra/gumbo seeds are starting to germinate!

j

Have not posted here recently due to being racked with guilt about having neglected my garden, but got a good chunk of work done over the weekend so popping in to report before I fall behind and get too racked with guilt to post again.

The burdock that was stifling the tulips by the front steps has been ruthlessly extirpated (who am I kidding, I’m sure there are still enough roots in there that it’ll be sneaking back up all summer). That burdock was CRAZY with bees in immense number and variety the first year I got it (and I’m still not sure exactly how I got it, maybe in a wildflower mix?), but its growth is just way too aggressive in a sunny spot and it needs to make way for better-behaved plants. Besides the tulips, some fennel, poppy, marigold and other flower seeds have now gone in to battle the burdock.

First planting of shelling peas sprouting, second planting has now gone in along with some lettuce seeds, cucumber and shallots and edamame seeds are awaiting some consistently higher temperatures. So are a few pansy and tomato seedlings from the farmer’s market. Finally started the stock, snapdragon and stevia seeds indoors.

Herbs are flourishing as are some volunteer kales from last year. Chopped back all but a few of the hop bines in hopes of getting fewer but bigger hops this September, and cut back the rosebush. Chopped out some overgrown box branches and, like Biggirl, found some valiant hyacinths and tulips underneath them trying to grow horizontally towards the light.

All pre-2021 seeds have now been planted or composted, to sprout or rot as they will! Tulips and daffodils are starting to decline but iris getting ready to take over.

Butterfly garden areas are still mostly violets and dandelions but have high hopes for summer. Two overwintered chrysalides under observation, one an Eastern Black Swallowtail and one probably a sphinx moth of some kind?

Still enviously eyeing neighbors’ gorgeous Mertensia virginica, but have never been quite unscrupulous (or organized) enough to snitch a few roots for transplanting at a proper time.

Need to get some new compost and some yard waste bags, also sprizer bottle for seed starts.

Currently in flower in the perennial garden: Honesty (Lunaria annua), dame’s rocket (Hesperis matronalis) and Verbascum chaixii. The first roses should be blooming in less than a week. Hellebores are still in flower though colors are gradually fading.

My three in-ground fig trees are budding out. Salvia “Black and Bloom” has overwintered nicely, not knowing it wasn’t supposed to survive in my zone (6b).

Harvested and ate my first full-sized radishes of the season. Blander than I was hoping for, but still a nice addition to salad. Awaiting lettuce and beet harvests.