The Academy Awards thread for 2021

Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams are going to sing Husavik tonight, right?

I hope Anthony Hopkins wins and I hope The Father wins best picture.

It was used in The Dark Knight Rises, Blade Runner, Catch Me If You Can, Seabiscuit, Pearl Harbor, Hail, Caesar!, and Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.

I’m enjoying this show.

No skits, no “tribute” song and dance, no uncomfortable scripted back and forth between presenters.

The presenter’s scripted remarks are focused on the nominees for once.

And they seem to be giving the winners enough time to say something coherent.

So far, based on my copy of The Envelope ballot, the winners have mostly been the favorites (except for Adapted Screenplay).

I am also enjoying this year’s Academy Awards presentation.

I wish they would do it this way every year. Intimate, moving smoothly and quickly, no overblown production numbers dragging the show out.

I wish they would show more clips for the nominees.

Apparently they showed the performances of the nominated songs during the red carpet program before the actual awards ceremony.

Looks like the pre-show Best Song performances are on ABC’s YouTube channel (but I only see 3, did they do all of them?).

Why isn’t Frances smiling?

Best Picture already? Why the change in the usual order?

Weirdly, they announced Best Picture before Best Actor/Actress.

I was wondering that, too. Just a different kind of Oscars this year.

And they still managed to run long.

I suspect it’s because if Chadwick Boseman wins Best Actor (and he’s the heavy favorite), the Best Picture/Actress following would be like following Jimi at Woodstock…

I assumed they were running early, which was why they did that stupid game involving whether the song won or was nominated.

Nm nm nm

They switched up the presenters for best actor/actress, too. Maybe trying out new stuff since expectations are so low anyway.

Well that was pretty anti-climactic. They should have stayed with the usual order.

Well, that was the biggest upset of the evening.

I agree that they didn’t know who was going to win, but they may have just decided that if Boseman won, it would be the perfect capper, and if someone else won, it would just be shaking things up a little bit.

Just watch this.

I deleted the post because I misread yours: I missed the “if”.