The Alt-Right is Abandonign Trump, and the Left Will Soon Give Him "Strange New Respect"

Steve Bannon is on the way out. Far from being an evil Svengali whom Trump can’t resist, Bannon was a useful hanger on whom Trump has more or less dumped.

So, who IS Trump listening to now? His son-in-law Jared Kushner and economic advisor Gary Cohn.

Wait… Kushner? Cohn? Oh my God, Jewish liberal Democrats are running the White House now! The alt-right is already realizing how stupid it was to take Mr. Toad of Toad Hall seriously. The alt-Right will soon be castigating Trump as a puppet of the Zionists!

And the Left will have to realize that Trump not only ISN’T an anti-semite, he’s leaning on Jews for all his advice. Not Republican Jews either!

I suspect Neil Gorsuch is the last conservative judge Trump will ever appoint. Trump has already sent Ivanka to try to make nice with Planned Parenthood (unsuccessfully, but give it time). If Breyer or Ginsburg were to die next year, I predict Chuck Schumer will be very pleased with the replacement.

Both the far right and the mainstream right will soon see how dumb it was to put any trust in Trump. And the Left will start making peace with him sooner than you expect.

Wow. Nice stream of random brain drippings only slightly connected to reality.

So, Jews - bad or good?

Yeah… I don’t know about all that.

Political leanings aside, I have a problem with his incompetence and the obvious corruption of him and his cabinet members. I mean, even if he were a flaming left-wing liberal, I might be happier with his political stances, but not so happy with his chaotic and bullying style.

Put another way, my wife and I like watching the TV show Survivor on CBS. At the end of the show, the contestants get together and vote someone off the island. Often (though not always), the person who gets voted off is someone who is random and chaotic. They’ll keep around someone who is consistently evil because they always know what he/she will do. The unpredictable player doesn’t last long.

Trump is predictably unpredictable. He’s got to go.

If all of that came to pass I would chuckle happily, but I’d still think Trump is an idiot.

Trump = Tai? :slight_smile:

Cohn and Kushner may be former Democrats (both are now registered Republicans), but AFAICT neither of them was ever a “liberal Democrat”. They are both typical representatives of the bipartisan “More Money for Rich People” Party. Which, indeed, is the only party that Trump has ever had any real allegiance to.

I don’t think Democrats in general are going to be very eager to take over as Trump’s enablers and legitimizers if Republicans eventually decide they can’t stomach such a revolting and humiliating job any more.

I see no evidence of actual liberal policy. Until then, he won’t have even a smidgen of support from liberals.

The OP presents an amusing hypothetical and I guess I could see something like it come to pass because I have no expectation of ideological consistency or even ethical consistency from Donald Trump. I can see him being manipulated toward the side of good as easily as manipulated toward the side of evil, as long as the manipulators manage to keep his ego massaged.

Apparently the people who work in the White House have nothing better to do than attack other people who work in the White House with slightly different views.

But liberal Democrat is nonsense. Not even conservative Democrats nor moderate Republicans favor an average of 20% cuts in domestic programs.

Even if that happened, he wouldn’t gain any “new respect” from me. I might approve of some random things he did, but I’d still want him gone as soon as possible. He’s an embarrassment and it would be deplorable to support him generally, even if he was doing some things I agreed with.

Long ago, (12 months perhaps) before I realized what a truly disgusting person he was, I was under the impression he was not as bad as the rest of the Republican field because he had no core conservative values. Turns out, that might actually be worse than being a conservative, at least in his case (given his character flaws and intellectual limitations).

If Trump were to turn against the Republicans, he’d be impeached in a heartbeat. Remember that the Republicans have a majority in the Senate.

I don’t think he would. There’s a good 20-25% of the voters that love Trump but don’t care about the Republican party. Nonetheless, the Republicans need those voters going forward. If they turn on Trump, Trump will not go down quietly, and he will turn those voters against anyone he feels is against him.

Nope, never, and not so long as this body draws breath, in that order.

If he lurches into doing something with which I agree, I will know it was either a) entirely accidental; b) serves some narcissistic, selfish purpose about which I am not yet aware but will without a doubt have something to do with enriching himself; and/or c) is being manipulated by someone. Even a blind pig finds a truffle now and then.

He is a sociopath, a narcissist, a huckster, inexperienced at everything, ignorant, prideful, thin-skinned, a believer of the worst and stupidest conspiracy theories on the planet, impulsive and stupid.

I will never support him, even if he started doing many things I support – because if he did that, it makes him a disloyal turd who would sell out his own grandmother and a loathesome liar, a mockery to his supporters. We agree on nothing. He’s already demonstrated as much with his whipsaw lies and ever-changing “policies,” consisting of cheap slogans for his mindless MAGA supporters who want to believe so bad in the snake oil he’s selling.

The Alt-Right may well be abandoning Trump. And the more conventional part of the Republican Party establishment (even the pretty hard-core right wing of the Republican Party establishment ) has clearly never really liked or trusted him. So he may well alienate the entire Republican Party; I’ve always said that whatever he is, Donald Trump isn’t “conservative”.

However, while I have thought all along that his policies are deplorable–and I still do; I’ve seen absolutely nothing to indicate he’s made any real shift towards actually non-deplorable policies–I’ve also thought all along that his character is what makes him fundamentally unfit for the office of President of the United States (or any other office or position of trust or responsibility). He’s a clinical narcissist; quite possibly even a “malignant narcissist”, or in other words a sociopath.

So, this is one liberal who will never, ever be giving Donald Trump “strange new respect”, and I will be utterly disgusted with the Democratic Party and/or “the Left” if they do. The thing is, I’m pretty damned sure the Democratic Party/“the Left” damn well knows just how utterly untrustworthy and unfit for office Donald Trump is. He may try to reach out to the Democrats when or if he burns all his bridges to the Republicans, but if I were him (or Jared Kushner) I definitely wouldn’t count on the Democrats falling for it.

“He’s an idiot but he’s our idiot.”?

Nope. They won him fair and square! No take-backs!
I maintain my belief that Trump does not fit anywhere along the traditional political spectrum axes but in an imaginary axis orthogonal to the plane.

I’ll apply “strange” to him gladly, even acknowledge when he randomly does some one thing right, but “respect” of any sort for him?

Not bloody likely.

Just because conservatives are finally starting to figure out how much of an idiot is, there’s no reason why liberals would adopt him. Liberals figured out he was an idiot over a year ago.

What Trump’s going to become is an orphan with no friends in power. And an anchor to the conservatives. It doesn’t matter how much they try to distance themselves from Trump, liberals will be there to remind people who put Trump in office.

And the OP’s comments about Jews are a little creepy.

Yup. The fact that the slow learners in Trump’s base are starting to figure out what the rest of us figured out within a few minutes/days/weeks doesn’t mean we are going to adopt Trump.

If Trump wants to work with democrats on certain policy proposals, I’d welcome it. Negotiation of Rx prices, meaningful infrastructure investments, finding ways to reduce health care costs, creating middle class jobs, etc.

But none of those things will change the fact that Trump is an unqualified, immoral imbecile who never should’ve had this job to begin with. Nor will it change the fact that Trump’s only real loyalty is to himself, and he really doesn’t care about anything else.

Also while a lot of people feel Trump is a racist against blacks, latinos, muslims, etc. and a misogynist, people haven’t really accused Trump himself of anti semitism from what I’ve seen. His base? Yeah, there are some real anti semites there. But not so much Trump himself from what I’ve seen.

Either way, the fact that Trump gets along with a handful of Jews isn’t going to cause the left to throw themselves at him. I’m not sure where OP got that idea.

Is Gary Cohn related to Roy Cohn (an early trump influence)?

So I don’t get it. The OP is some sort of conservative, right? So is he upset that Trump is abandoning conservative principles? Because that doesn’t make sense, because Trump never had any conservative principles. Or principles of any sort.

Trump is a lying sack of shit. Nothing he says or does means anything. If you think he’s going to enact conservative policies then, like I’ve said before, you’re like the corporate types in the Aliens movies who are always trying to use the xenomorphs for the biological weapons program. What happened to those guys?