The Amazing Spiderman is Pretty Good (Spoilers)

Here’s the scene as it appears in US theaters.

ETA: About a minute later, in the same scene, he makes pretty much an identical joke, except I think he actually says “Godzilla” that time.

I saw it today, and liked it. Obviously, it set up the sequel. One question. Was it clear whether Dr. Ratha (Irrfan Khan’s character) died?

I liked it better than the Raimi movies, which I didn’t think were all that great. The web-swinging was great in 3D. I liked that it had Gwen Stacy in it, and I way preferred this Uncle Ben and Aunt May to Raimi’s. I also liked that they brought back his trademark wise cracks. Denis Leary did a good job.

I didn’t mind the talking Lizard, perhaps because he could talk in his earliest incarnations.

Overall I’d recommend it, though the Avengers was more fun, IMO.

One minor criticism: I think Martin Sheen and Sally Field are too old to play the uncle and aunt of a teenager. Grandparents, perhaps, but not uncle and aunt.

Actually, they matched the age of the actors for Peter’s parents, so it wasn’t accidental. Peter’s pop was definitely 50 or so, and his mom couldn’t have been too far behind. Evidently, he’s a child of their later years.

I think this is why I didn’t like the movie. He didn’t feel menacing enough.

In the trailer, someone asks, “Do you think what happened to you, Peter, was an accident? Do you have any idea what you really are?” I don’t remember seeing that bit in the movie, but when I saw the trailer, I thought the origin of his powers was going be explained as not just the spider bite, but, perhaps, manipulation of his genetics by his father. Perhaps the next film will get into that?

You had to wait through the credits to see that scene, and they don’t reveal who it was that was talking.

Well I called it (except for the OJ part…)

We saw the movie yesterday and I thought it was pretty decent. I hold the Avengers as the gold standard for comic book movies and this one was not close to that, though it was much better than Spider-Man 3 (not really high praise, but you get my drift).

A few things that didn’t work so well for me:

I didn’t like how Peter got bitten so much. In the comics, getting bitten by the radioactive (genetically manipulated) spider was kind of a one in a million thing. The way they did it here, there could be a bunch of Spider lab techs and Spider interns running around OScorp.

I didn’t really like how Uncle Ben got shot. There really was no incentive for him to grab the gun other than for him to get shot and move the story along. The set up wasn’t that strong either, he wasn’t even Spidey when he let the crook go, he was just buying some milk from the store, and was the price $1.07 for it? It looked like he had a quarter on the counter.

Plus the retelling of the origin in general. We’ve seen it so many times already.

What I did like:

I liked the actors a lot. Andrew Garfield’s hair is piled up kind of funny, but he makes a good Peter/Spider-Man. Emma Stone’s Gwen Stacy is so good looking and her acting in this is streets ahead of Kirsten Dunst’s MJ Watson. Martin Sheen, Dennis Leary, and Rhys Ifans are all very good in their roles as is Sally Field, though she didn’t have much else to other than be the worried old aunt.

I liked the action scenes; I liked how Spidey used his webs against the Lizard and everything looked realistic for the most part in comparison to the first Spider-Man film. I liked how they established that Peter was scientifically smart and able to make his own webshooters, though I think they took a bit of a shortcut with that. I also liked that Spidey was a smartenheimer in this movie – the wisecracks are something that Raimi’s missed.

Oh, and the Stan Lee cameo was very good. It’s interesing how Hugh Heffner, that guy in Milwaukee who drank the gamma-infected drink, a New York hot dog vendor, a security guard, a WWII general, and a high school librarian all look alike. :wink:

Wait, are you saying that the scene in which someone says to Peter, “Do you think what happened to you, Peter, was an accident? Do you have any idea what you really are?” appears during the end credits? Because I saw the end credits scene in which someone talks to Connors in a prison cell. I was not aware of a second end credits scene.

One minor detail I didn’t like:When Peter picked up his ID card for his intern tour they didn’t check his ID or ask to see his invite? That seems like really bad security. Especially since the receptionist seemed already suspicious of him. And it was kind of a dick move on Parker’s part, cheating that intern. (Though I guess he did accidentally save him from the Lizard.) Especially since Peter could have just showed up at Dr. Connor’s house and said “Hi, I’m Richard Parker’s son, and I’ve been thinking about the decay rate algorithm.” Although then he never would have become Spiderman.

The thread is marked for spoilers, so I don’t think we need boxes.

But yea, I was amused that, for a lab that has an unused biological weapon dispersing machine just chilling in the corner, security was so lax. Gwen Stacey is a high school intern and yet can get into the lab in the middle of the night, get access to a machine that can apparently mix up whatever crazy biological agent you want and a machine that they were apparently so worried could be used to disperse said agents that the forbid its use, even though it could apparently wipe out polio or something.

Doubly amusing since all the super-high tec looking card readers and key pads made it look like Oscorp had invested a lot in their completely ineffective security system.

No, the only credits scene was the one in the prison cell, there was nothing else after the credits finished. I think that poster was just misremembering the dialogue. The line in the prison cell was something like “Did you tell him the truth about his father?”

I thought so. So it sounds like the filmmakers dropped the plot point that suggested that Peter Parker’s abilities were due (in part) to genetic manipulation by his father.

Well, I grew up on the comics and subscribed to all 3 Spidey titles (at the time) for years, so here’s my $0.02 (most of which lean to the highly disappointed)

THE CONSPIRACY: I found this a stupid and pointless thread to fixate on–the secrecy around his father, the Lizard’s association, OsCorp’s involvement, etc. None of it paid off and none of it really added any genuine intrigue. So I found it all pointless filler that didn’t really add to characterization at all.

THE ORIGIN: The manner in which he gets the bite is stupid, both in how dumb he is to be nosing around and how ridiculous it was that he could have access to such a high-security area. I don’t care about the orga vs. mecha shooters, but the film handled it so inadequately that it created more questions than answers. For example, he was obviously basing the webbing on that tow cable that he saw online and ordered a sample of. How much did this cost? How could he sustain that expense? How did he make it sticky? We never see him in a lab or as a teacher’s pet, he’s never bullied at school for being a science nerd, we’re just supposed to take a few people’s word that he’s some kind of genius? With storytelling, Show, not Tell. It’s weak sauce.

THE QUIPS: As a Spidey fan, I loved the quips in the comics. But action sequences in films are different animals. The Raimi films wisely dispensed with them, and the ones in this film never really quite worked for me. They may be essential to comic-Spidey, but I found their inclusion more distracting than effective.

THE VILLAIN: A snoozer. Not particularly well-rendered (from a CG standpoint), and the main things that make Connors compelling–a brilliant scientist becomes a slave to his own obsession, while also acting as a mentor figure to Peter–was handled immeasurably better with Doc Ock and even Norman Osbourne in the original films. The Lizard adds nothing–he’s not a more interesting or sympathetic character, and his powers or level of menace don’t compare to the others. He’s iconic, but in this film, a snooze. Plus, don’t we see that the serum he gives himself to turn into the Lizard degrades over a time and he needs a bigger boost regularly? So where is the real threat by aerosoling the city? Without a booster, the effects would be short-term anyway. Anyone who complained about the similar climax in Batman Begins can’t ignore the silliness of it here.

SPIDEY SENSE: I counted three times where Spidey is caught off-guard in a way that would have been unthinkable in the comics, based on his Spidey sense. On the balcony with Gwen, we “see” it in action from many many blocks away. So how does the Lizard get the drop on him in the sewer? Or how is he surprised by the helicopter near the end? Especially since he can still dodge bullets Matrix-style at point blank range? This is just bad.

CASTING: Andrew Garfield seriously overplays the hemming and hawing in a way that is almost Michael Cera-ish (that is not a compliment); Tobey wasn’t always great, but I was convinced of his sincerity and conviction as PP. Sheen & Field are fine, though I think Robertson & Harris were better. And Uncle Ben’s death is painfully contrived (Why jump for the gun? Stupid). Ifans is fine but not as good an actor as Dafoe or Molina. It’s a small blessing we only hear about Norman and JJJ because any real actors would’ve probably suffered by comparison.

The best casting is of the Stacys, and the best part of the film is how they are dealt with and the touching relationship they have. They were given short shrift in SM3 so there isn’t any comparison, but the only promising thing I can see about subsequent films in this series is dealing with Gwen’s ultimate fate.

THE MASK: The one time that Spidey reveals his identity (inadvertently) in SM2, it’s a very touching and powerful moment, and it touches into the nature of his youth and the sacrifice he’s making. In this film, Spidey is revealing (and being revealed) left and right, so there’s no weight to the revelation. It’s glib. And while I’ve never liked Aunt May in the comic, I liked the possibility that this May might actually suspect her nephew’s secret–because if she doesn’t, she’s dumb as a post given the state he comes back home in night after night.

So, for this Spidey fan, too facile, too redundant, too unnecessary. I love the character so didn’t mind a reboot if they found a way to justify this new take. But there’s very little that’s new that is actually better than the first two films (probably in the top 3 of Marvel adaptations, to these eyes). Some is just new for new sake and some is just dumb. But very little worked for me.

I’m pretty sure that stuff was intended to be resolved in the inevitable sequel.

The stuff he uses for his webbing is a completely fantasy material, so we don’t really have any basis for comparison on how much it would cost. You’d expect it would be super expensive, but maybe the stuff is super-cheap. Since the filmmakers (well, this incarnation - Stan Lee was the original, obviously) invented the stuff, they can say it’s as cheap or expensive as they want. Clearly, however much it costs, it’s within the budget of a high school student. Also, I think the stickiness was inherent in the material.

I actually had more of a problem with him being able to afford a full-body spandex suit, but after looking around online, that stuff’s actually pretty cheap.

I thought the film did a much better job than the Raimi films at establishing Parker’s science chops. He even specializes: he’s not just good at “science,” but specifically, at robotics and mechanical devices. He’s built a radio-controlled latch for his bedroom door, his uncle relies on him to fix their appliances, he decorates his skateboard decks with mathematical formula, and in his conversation with Gwen when he sneaks onto the tour, they establish that he’s got the second best marks in the science curriculum, behind Gwen herself.

Actually, no. We see that the original dose he gave himself wore off. Then he adjusted the formula, and dosed himself again. He doesn’t turn back into Connors again until he’s hit with the antidote. We don’t know that the second dose has a similarly short duration. Certainly, Considering that Connors original research was to find a serum that resulted in permanent physical change, and that Parker’s transformation (from a similar formula) is also permanent, and that the Lizard clearly believes that the effects of the aerosol will be permanent, it’s a pretty safe conclusion that he’s changed the formula enough so that it doesn’t wear off anymore.

That said:

Even if the effect is temporary, you don’t see the threat in turning all of Manhattan into psychotic lizard monsters for a couple of hours? Sure, maybe the effect wears off, but how many thousands of people will be dead, and how many millions of dollars in damage will be done by the time that happens?

Plus, if Connors can set off the aerosol device once, he can set it off a second time, so there’s nothing stopping him from delivering regular booster shots to the city, if necessary.

And lastly, while the physical transformation of Connors’ initial serum is temporary, the side effect of violent psychosis appears to be permanent: Connors is still a psychopath after the first dose wears off, and doesn’t regain his sanity until he’s dosed with the antidote. So even after the lizard transformation wears off, you still have a NYC filled with murderous psychopaths.

Admittedly, that’s not much of a change.

Was that his Spidey Sense on the balcony? I thought he was reacting to the sirens.

Other than that, eh, I didn’t mind. Spiderman’s supposed to be hard to hit, but he’s not untouchable. One guy, with one gun, he can dodge easily. A street filled with police snipers, all trying to take him down while he’s desperately trying to save his girlfriend’s life? I don’t have a problem with him being overwhelmed by so many danger sources that one catches him off guard - that seems like a legitimate way to get past his defenses.

The only one that really bugged me was when the roof collapsed under him and dropped him into the abandoned gymnasium. No way he wouldn’t have been able to catch himself before he fell.

Fully-developed Spidey, yes. However, all through those movie, he seemed to be getting stronger and more capable with every action. This si definitely the best Superhero movie at showing a character’s growth.

Saw it. Liked the two leads as actors. But the movie itself? Horrible.

I enjoyed it - was a fun movie. I was disappointed with the casting of Emma Stone as Gwen - she doesn’t quite work for me. Boy was I wrong. She was very good in the role and just so adorable.

The two of them made this 50 year old man remember what it was like to be a bumbling nerdy teen trying to figure out romance.

It was a fun movie, the effects were great and the acting was very fine.