The American flag on the moon

But, Hubble can and has taken photographs of the moon before.
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/1999/14/

Agreed that it doesn’t have the resolution to discern man made objects though, and would blur if the image was exposed too long.

Can infrared or some other wavelength scan show the metal of the objects we left on the moon?

We still bounce laser pulses off of some of the experiments we left behind.

Just to clarify, as you yourself have pointed out, the MAIN reason the rocket did not leave a crater is simply that it did not put out that much thrust. Since the Moon’s gravity at the surface is only 1/6 that of the gravity on Earth at sea level, the thrust really didn’t have to be that substantial - only about 2,000 pounds at landing, maybe a few times that on takeoff. That’s not much at all, especially spread over the area of the engine nozzle. Your car exerts that much force on your driveway just by sitting there.

Why isn’t the laser bouncing enough evidence to convince crazy nutjobs that we went to the moon?

I suppose they’ll say that the mirror was sent via unmanned rocket?

Why are there nutjobs by the way? Why do they partake of modern science (like going to the ER to get their hearts fixed by all that modern medicine has to offer), and then deny that modern science is of any use? They should stay home, rant and rave, and die.

Sorry, I went off on a nutjob tangent.

While I certainly don’t disagree, that’s a subject for GD or the Pit, I’d say.

–Cliffy

Simple solution: send up a flag that’s 100 meters across. My mom will knit one.