The Animated Feature Oscar Race

ArchiveGuy:

I hope you don’t mean this as a slap to Jimmy Neutron. I don’t know how good Waking Life was, because I never saw it, but darned if I didn’t enjoy Jimmy Neutron a heck of a lot.

Lilo and Stich? Did better critically & much better commercially.

A question for completeness’ sake: If no film gets a score of 7.5 or better, does this mean the ‘Best Animated Feature’ category will be dropped from the Oscars for that year?

Yes. According to the Oscar Rules for Animated Feature IV ©:

cmkeller says:

Hey, I liked it better than the overrated Shrek, too, but given the fact that the Academy knew the Pixar & DreamWorks were shoe-ins, they could’ve gone for the most visually inventive and ambitious animated film that year, but instead they went with the charming (but safe and oh-so predictable) CG kiddie film to join the other two CG kiddie films.

BTW I checked the box-office figures for Spirit and it made 80 million dollars which is sub-par for a big-budget animation but not a massive flop or particularly sub-par for an Oscar nominated film.

So I wonder if the voters will play it safe and nominate one movie from each of the three American studios (ie. Lilo, Spirit and Ice Age) instead of giving a second nomination to Disney with SA. It would be a shame but it seems quite possible.

OTOH the Oscarwatch sight marks SA with a red asterix for having the most buzz in the category.

BTW I checked the box-office figures for Spirit and it made 80 million dollars which is sub-par for a big-budget animation but not a massive flop or particularly sub-par for an Oscar nominated film.

So I wonder if the voters will play it safe and nominate one movie from each of the three American studios (ie. Lilo, Spirit and Ice Age) instead of giving a second nomination to Disney with SA. It would be a shame but it seems quite possible.

OTOH the Oscarwatch site marks SA with a red asterix for having the most buzz in the category.