The Anti-SPAM thread: How I Lost Over 60 Pounds and Kept it off

I do things as simple as I can. First of all, I love yogurt (with berries on the bottom, natch) and eat the stuff (with granola sprinkled on top) 3 times a day, pretty much without ever getting sick of it. A turkey or black bean burger sandwich with cheese (or perhaps two) for lunch (depends on when my afternoon shift starts and ends), Lean Cuisine for dinner. 500-1000 calorie workout on the stationary bike daily (or so it says-I ride it pretty vigorously), and I hit -60 at the beginning of the month, dating back 2 1/2 years. Things like a picture from “before” that my mom found for me recently helps to maintain my motivation.

I cut way down on the beer, increased whole grains, and reduced portion size. I also keep small cans of V8 (30 calories) and any number of ~100 calorie granola bars nearby. I think the reduced portion size, avoid most junk food (I steal a couple of bites of my kids French fries but don’t get my own order), a bit of exercise all combine to take off about a pound every 2 weeks. I down 20 pounds this year without feeling like I’ve made a big effort.

I’ve been trying something different lately… making small changes over a long period of time. My first change is No Sweets in the House. I’ve stuck to this for two months. It has prevented me from several binges. I’m really to the point where I usually don’t think about it unless I’m really depressed or stressed or craving something. I don’t think I’m losing weight, but I haven’t gained. It’s a start.

Once I complete No Sweets in the House for at least one more month, then I’ll add in another healthy habit. I’ll keep doing this until I find that sweet spot - the right amount of food to steadily and slowly lose weight.

So even though I’m not losing weight right this minute, I’m not too worried about it. I’d rather permanently lose three pounds a year for the rest of my life than lose 20 pounds in two months and gain it back.

I haven’t decided yet what the next step will be.

I have lost 78 pounds over the last 8 months. As other posters have observed it is about making the mental changes, for me if I don’t want to gain weight tomorrow I will not eat too much today. I also weigh myself every day and keep a spreadsheet with my daily weight on it and how much I have gained or lost. That way I can show myself where I was, and where I am trending.

My breakfast is 2 Weetabix with milk, yogurt and a banana, lunch is an apple and orange with something small, when I get hungry, dinner is usually meat and vegetables, for example last night was chicken in a roll, marinated in lemon/lime with some hot sauce and grilled on the bbq, with salad on the side (salad is your friend), tonight steak and vegetables of some sort. My calorie range is ~2000 - 2300 and my output is 2800-3000 depending on my day.

I also exercise every day. I walk around 10 kilometers, and do a set of exercises (situps, pushups, toe touches, and stretches). I am currently working in Toronto so I walk from Union station to Bloor/Jarvis (3.2 km each way), so I don’t need to walk as far the rest of the day.