The argument of "pro-choice" is bullsh*t.

The only way to justify being pro-life is to trivialize pregnancy, childbirth and adoption. Pregnancy is a “minor inconvenience,” childbirth is simply “termination of pregnancy” and adoption is “a way to continue your life without a child.” After all, these events only happen to women, so how could thy possibly be significant?

The pro-life camp refuses to recognize the immense physical, mental, and emotional factors of pregnancy, childbirth and adoption (and, in the last one, the extreme effects on the child). And that, my dear, is total bullshit.

This is when my wife and I developed a more nuanced position on abortion as well. She used to be an abortion on demand (no restirctions at all) sort of gal and I was a “why the heck should I care what other people do” sort of guy. Then we had a miscarriage in the 16th week and we changed our tune. When we had our first child I think our entire perspective shifted.

I still remember when it struck me. Some state law was going to require a sonogram before an abortion after the first trimester. My wife (when I first met her) would have blown her top about the nerve of some state trying to pull something like that. It bowled me over when her response was “only if the doctor performs the sonogram immediately and doesn’t make her wait more than a couple of hours, otherwise they should give her that abortion.”

This may not sound like an unreasonable position to some of you but take my word for it, it was a sea cahnge for my wife.

Never mind, and apologies. I forgot what forum I was in.

So, Damuri, how do you feel about a woman who doesn’t look in the direction of the sonogram monitor, who tears up any printouts the instant they are handed to her and repeats her request for the abortion?

Pre-conception and post-conception is a bright line of nothing other than conception. It’s an important step for what will become a human organism. I find that meaningless in a discussion for whether or not abortion should be outlawed. In contrast, some religious people (or people who put philosophical importance on human destiny) think that has some relevance. Looks pretty muddy to me.

OTOH, I see a bright line pre- and post-birth. Pre-birth, a mother’s own body is involved. Post-birth, the mother’s body is no longer involved. If the mother’s body was not involved, we wouldn’t be having this discussion, would we?

So, Monkey with a Gun, you seem to be confused on two major points in this discussion so maybe you can answer some questions for me. Otherwise, your OP and subsequent posts make no sense to me.

1. I assume you don’t think abortion should be outlawed. Why don’t you think abortion should be outlawed?

2. What is your definition of a life vs. definition of a person?

I’m still waiting for an answer on why abortion is something to be avoided from a moral standpoint. From a health and cost standpoint it’s less convenient and more expensive than condoms or contraception methods and I’m sure there are greater health risks, at least for most people. But none of those are moral issues than justify a slant against abortion.

Less healthy and more costly than a condom but far less dangerous and cheaper than carrying a pregnancy to term.

You aren’t just disconnecting the tubes, you are killing him in order to disconnect the tubes. If a fetus is viable and we applied your analogy then you have the right to vacate your womb but why do you have a right to kill an otherwise viable fetus in order to do so?

At most your anology argues for choice before viability.

Your analogy fails for several other reasons. Presumably, your pregnancy is not the result of an immaculate conception and considering that most people who object to abortion object to later term abortions, they didn’t sneak the guy into your room in the middle of the night, you were wide awake as they were hooking him up to you.

I would also point out that he 60 year old man is a stranger to you, your fetus is not. I’m not saying that there is a duty of care but they are not moral equivalents.

And what if your children wanted to get one in the third trimester? Despite all your training and good intentions, they get pregnant and think they want the baby and then just change their mind in the third trimester?

Let’s say a woman has decided on abortion in her third trimester. She goes to the clinic, and just seconds before the doctor is about to abort the fetus, a madman barges in and hits her in the gut with a bat and kills the fetus.

Is it murder, or just assault against the woman?

So what do you propose the rule should be after viability?

So does a woman have the right to evict a viable fetus by chopping it to bits before sucking it out througha vaccum hose?

I never heard Der Trihs actually say this before:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=12748680&postcount=5

It’s an assault against both of them, but the assault on the fetus is irrelevant, since she’d already chosen to have it removed.

Yes. I don’t believe that we’ve been remotely unclear about that.

It’s the same rule. You’re the one who believes that viability is relevant, I don’t. I really don’t think I can be much clearer about this, but let me try one last time.

Outside my body = no longer under my jurisdiction
Inside my body = my choice, and I’m profoundly uninterested in your opinion

You mean higher brain function don’t you? Because a fetus moves, repsonds to pain and apparently even dreams.

So if you are saying brain function is what makes them people then are you in Der trihs camps that a newborn baby that basically can’t see (or at least can’t understand what it is seeing as “the world”) can’t think, and acts entirely on isntinct is not really a person either? Can we abort a baby until it can start interacting with the world around it in some meaningful way? No iots not the brain function that the pro-choice side is focusing on, its the “I get to do what i want with my body (and anything or anyone inside my body) no matter what” argument that the pro-choice side is focusing on.

It describes the most pivotal point of their position. The choice to have an abortion. All other issues pale in comaprison.

Ethics allows you to choose the lesser of two evils doesn’t it? Perhaps the ethical choice is in fact forcing a woman to either have a ceasarean or carry a viable fetus to term over killing a viable fetus.

Great. Not only are the labels “person”, “human” and “child” matters of contention, now the pro-choicers can’t even get the courtesy of having that label applied to them.

Just let the sides be “pro-choice” and “pro-life”, if that’s what they want to call themselves. There are already too many pointless label arguments in play.

Or just say fuck it, and treat it as a women’s rights issue rather than a label-fight.

There were over 1000 third trimester abortions last year. A survey of 420 women who had abortions after the 16th week gave the following reasons for their abortion:

71% Woman didn’t recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents
24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion
8% Woman waited for her relationship to change
8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion
6% Something changed after woman became pregnant
6% Woman didn’t know timing is important
5% Woman didn’t know she could get an abortion
2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
11% Other

Over 5% of abortions occur after the 16th week.