The Berenstein Bears Controversy

I am so totally with you on this.

Not me. It was always “dilemma.” I always thought it had something to do with two lemmas (which is a concept I learned, and promptly forgot the meaning of, in math class sometime back when dinosaurs roamed the earth).

When I pointed this thread out to my roommate, he said, ‘Do I know you?’

Do you remember the Thunderbird photo?

http://www.prairieghosts.com/tbirdaz.html

Younger son (15) just came upon the conspiracy thing. When I said he could just look for some of the old books (which belonged to much older cousins) he claimed there weren’t any.

Somewhat OT but not really given where this has gone, I’d swear that I’d once read an obit for actor George Kennedy but he’s still alive.

I wonder how many mis-readings we came up with (presumably as children) for Goofus and Gallant.

Me: When I first saw that, I immediately read it as Galoofus and Gallant, which I pronounced as Ga-LOOF-us and Ga-LANT.

Goofus and Gallant served to mess up my pronunciation of “gallant” for a long, long time. I remember being told that “guh-LAWNT” was correct, but now everything I read says it’s “GAL-unht.”

I also am pretty sure my parents told me the opposite directions for how a turn signal works. I was wrong about that for probably 10 years. I think I learned it correctly before driver’s ed, but not long before.

Your folks were messin with you? Have you seen Dogtooth?

I think it’s more likely that either I or they misunderstood the question. Or even that I remembered incorrectly.

Just like, right now, I had a memory of seeing it spelled Berenstain but hearing it pronounced Berensteen, and noting the pronunciation is weird. I have no idea if that’s a real memory or a confabulated one from all this talk about this stuff lately.

We could all fit in one of the Titanic’s lifeboats. :wink:

Wikipedia on ‘dilemna’:

I remember seeing the ‘dilemna’ spelling in books I read when I was a kid, but not since. Until looking it up just now, I’d assumed it was a correct but archaic spelling, but apparently it’s a somewhat dated misspelling.