The BEST restaurant I've ever been to is...

I came in this thread to talk about Tapawingo!

I’ve eaten all over the world… been to some pretty damn fine restaurants in France and in the US. Tapawingo rates as one of the best few, and may be the best ever. It certainly is the best I’ve been to in the past several years.

I’m stunned they’re #1) in Michigan and #2) in the middle of fookin’ nowhere. Seriously. They’re in a town where there’s really nothing but Tapawingo, another nice restaurant, and a couple B&Bs that cater the foodies who come to the restaurants.

I have been to many fine restaurants but only one still sticks in my mind and that would be the Firehouse in Old Sacramento.

I think she said it was by the National Cathedral (or Chapel or whatever), if that helps.

For what it’s worth…the kitchen at The French Laundry was used for the floor plan in the film Ratatouille.

This thread is definitely making my mouth water.

The Firehouse made it into my Top Ten (at #9.) The food and service were excellent, and the atmosphere was nice, but the wine list was what really impressed me. It was literally a book. I haven’t seen anything like it before or since.

Seconded, but I love T-Bones, too.

And I can go to either any time!

woohoo!

When did you go to Flo’s, 'cuz I can’t stand that place. The scallops I ordered were NOT scallops, but punched out something or other. The sweet tea was rancid, and the service was horrible.

YMMV, of course.

This is number one on my list, as well, though not by a landslide. Top four would probably be:
-The French Laundry (Yountville)
-Alinea (Chicago) Close second to TFL and winner of most expensive meal
-L’Atelier in Paris
-Another tiny little restaurant in Paris I don’t remember the name of. :slight_smile:

Would you mind e-mailing me? (saxman2 AT hotmail DOT com)

I have a bit of a favor to ask regarding Katz’s, and I’ll make it worth your while, but if you don’t want to do it I will totally understand.

An Italian restaurant called Trattoria Stefano in Sheboygan, Wisconsin - though it fell from its height at a future visit. My husband and I had dined in various cities in Italy - Rome, Genoa, Bellagio, Rapallo, Siena, etc., and when we heard friends who lived in Sheboygan saying how amazing the food was at Stefano’s, we kind of scoffed. We first went there probably around 1998 or so, and ate our words. Happily. The wine list was interesting and varied, and the food was creative and delicious. I remember my husband raved about his boar bolognese. The owner makes regular trips back to Italy to search for good ingredients and new ideas. We thought it was better than anything we’d eaten in Italy. However, our second visit a year or so later was… disappointing. It was still good, sure, even great - but no longer the delightful, amazing experience we’d had at our first visit. It wasn’t just our perception, either; the friends we went with who lived in the area weren’t as impressed as at previous visits, and they’d been there a number of times, just not recently. We haven’t been back, but perhaps next visit we’ll give it another try.

Lula in Venice, CA. They have a Oaxacan tamale that makes me cry (tears of joy).

Fogo de Chao. My first experience was in Atlanta. Now that I’m in LA, I’ll get to do it again someday! Meat, meat, meat!

Nora in D.C. I had smoked trout on a green salad as an appetizer that blew my mind.

Starliner Diner in Hilliard, OH. Their Chiliquiles are awesome, and plantains, cuban toast, and a bloody mary alongside make it an unforgettable breakfast.

That’s all I can think of for now!

It’s okay - nothing special, though.

Summer of 2003? I had a pile of raw oysters and steamed clams, and some delicious fried green tomatoes.

Alinea. “Life-changing” does not begin to describe the experience.

Meskerem, in Washington, DC. Ethiopian food - inexpensive, delicious, Ethiopian food. Mostly spicy meat stews, served on a communal circle of injera bread. You rip off a bit of bread, use it to pick up the stew, and eat. I can’t say enough good things about this place - the good, the atmosphere - Ethiopian-style furniture! - the fact I’ve never had to wait more than 20 minutes for a table, and the most expensive anything is there is about $15 - the place is incredible. If you’re ever in Washington, go to Meskerem. Hell, if you’re even in North America, go to Meskerem. Just go, damnit!

And after dinner, head across the street to Tryst for drinks. I like them - they have free wifi. Or, go down the street a little farther to “Prince Cafe” for Turkish Coffee and hookah.

I love this city. :smiley:

The Red Sea was better, but I think they’re gone (I’m a big Ethiopian fan).

New Orleans:
Bella Luna
Jacques-Imos
Tokyo Bistro (seriously…I would get my death row meal from here)
Dick and Jennys
Port of Call

Nashville:
Mambu
Virago

Chicago:
Japonais

Does anyone have anywhere AWESOME I should go in San Francisco?? Somewhere where I won’t have to sell a kidney to pay for is preferable.

Yes, if you like breakfast. (And who doesn’t?) Dottie’s True Blue Cafe They have got the best freaking pancakes I have ever had in my life. I’m normally not a huge pancake fan, but these made a convert of me. I spent most of this summer in an apartment building right next to Dottie’s, and my friends would laugh from their apartment as I spent an hour or so in line, every Saturday, waiting for delicious pancakes. But, you see, I got pancakes (with real maple syrup!), and they did not. So, “hah!” to them, I say.

Get the two-stack, it’s something like five bucks, and you’ll leave stuffed. The pancakes are gigantic, as well as delicious.

Oh, and not a restaurant, per se, but Jeni’s Ice Cream has ruined me for all other ice cream shops.

I’ve had some great meals at pretty high-end places, but my enjoyment is usually muted at such places because formality is just kind of uncomfortable to me.

My responses would be:
Langer’s Deli in LA
Mother’s in New Orleans
Hali’imaile General Store on Maui
Arthur Bryant’s in KC