The Best/Worst of Video Game Character Fidgets!

Zeratul (I think) has plenty, but I only remember the last three before he cuts off and goes back to regular responses.
“This is NOT warcraft in space.”
“It’s much more complicated.”
“I KNOW it’s not 3-D!”

Now that I think about it, Mario’s snore does sound like a zipper.

Darn, you took mine. Except for the 7Up one.

In the recently released FPS Snowblind, if you stand around long enough, you start doing shadow puppets.

I’m showing my age here, but there used to be a console game in the '80s called Major Havoc, and in that one if you waited too long to do anything the little guy would do the foot-tapping, arm-crossing thing. It was very cute at the time (he was just a little vector-graphics guy–the graphics were similar to the old game Tempest, which I think was made by the same company) and I used to pause for awhile just so I could see him do it.

My favorite, though, is a little space-alien character from a recent (recent being defined as “in the last 3-5 years”) RPG. I’m driving myself crazy trying to remember which one, so if anybody could help me that would be great. He wore a little fishbowl space helmet and carried a zap gun, and when you’d stop playing for awhile he’d stand on his head, rock back and forth, and wave his little feet in the air. Again it was really cute to watch, and again I’d often stop

(sorry, hit “Submit” too fast)

…often stop playing for awhile just to watch him do it.

winterhawk11: This is an educated shot in the dark, but might you be talking about Starky from Chrono Cross? I’m thinking so because Chrono Cross came out in 2000, features an alien just like you described, and is one of the few RPGs that had character fidgets.

For reference, a picture of Starky.

This isn’t in a video game per se, but if you load the season 2 DVD of Red vs. Blue and let it sit on the menu screen, the medic will eventually appear, recite some really cheesy line in an awful “villain” voice, and then take away one of the menu options. Wait a while longer, and he’ll do it again. Eventually when you get down to the last menu item, he’ll start reciting his line and then give up, switch to his normal voice, and tell you “Look, this is getting ridiculous. Just pick something!”

Worst: Soldier of Fortune II

Your character, John Mullins, tends to fidget more often than most characters do. (His nerves must be shot after 'Nam) Now, usually this takes the form of flexing his fingers, adjusting some knobs on this side of his OICW, etc. But when he’s holding a shotgun, the fidget takes the form of gently tossing the weapon up in the air and catching it.

Why is this so bad? Well, aside from looking unprofessional, there have been quite a few times when one has Mullins sneaking through some level, you turn the corner…and into some baddies with submachine guns are hiding in the shadows. But, since you haven’t actually shot anyone for a minute or two, Mullins chooses that exact moment to playfully toss his shotgun into the air. :eek:

I’m not sure if I’ve actually tested it to see if there’s any more delay in using the weapon during one of those fidgets—I’d guess there wouldn’t be—but after playing for long enough, some little reptilian section of my brain tells me to wait until the weapon is “ready” before trying to fire it. A delay of a couple of seconds, at the absolute most. But it’s enough to cause big f**ing trouble. :mad:

That said, the M590 shotgun in that game is one of the finest weapons I’ve ever had the pleasure of using in an FPS. I need to give it that much.

Hmmm. What do ya know, the new " :eek: " really did capture the look on my face at that moment.

My favourites are Homer’s fidgets: if you change his costume to “Casual Homer” {just wearing a pair of white undies}, he’ll peer around trying to see his bum, and scratch it when he finds it. All time best though, is “Evil Homer”: he has his little red devil suit, with horns and a tail, and if you leave him unattended he’ll go into the “I am evil Homer” dance, complete with invisible maracas.

It’s not the most original fidget in the world but I thought it was really neat when I saw it: the infantry in the original Command and Conquer will start doing push ups if they get bored.

Yes! Thank you! :slight_smile:

I thought it might be Chrono Cross, but I poked around and couldn’t find any reference to Starky. I couldn’t remember his original name–for reasons lost to time, we renamed him “Doorky.” :slight_smile:

Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Gamecube has some excellent fidgets. I wish I could remember most of them…

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Earthworm Jim was the best for stuff like that. In fact, it was just the best game period.

Some other good fidgets are in Silent Hill 4. If you leave Henry to stand while holding the chainsaw, he’ll hold it over his head like Ash from the Evil Dead movies. If you leave him standing the lead pipe, he’ll swing it around a bit. My personal favorite is when you leave him standing with the golf club. He practices his swing.

Not really a fidget because it’s not a player character, but in Baldur’s Gate there seem to be an awful lot of townspeople who like to stand around scratching their ass.

Best: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

If you wait long enough while holding the lightsaber, Kyle will start shaving with it.

I was going to mention Voodoo Vince and Earthworm Jim. There was a game that came out as one of the first for the original playstation with Phil Hartman doing the voice that had some funny fidgets.

World of Warcraft. When you poke the lazy peons and you’re not on the quest, one of them says “i’m not that kind of orc”.

DVD stuff: On the Kevin Smith DVD he does a lot of stuff if you don’t pick something from the menu fast enough.

In American McGee’s Alice, the fidget depends on the weapon. If Alice has the vorpal blade in hand, she’ll throw it in the air and catch it in her head. Then she’ll calmly pull it out and do it again.

I can’t remember the game (might it have been Little Computer People for the C64?), but the character would look at you, tap his foot etc, then evetually, lean forward and knock on screen, from the inside- accompanied by a realistic sound of someone knocking on a glass CRT.