The Black Box: US Military & Law Enforcement Support for a Coup

Wasn’t some Soviet Union flack, er, diplomat at the United Nations who said to a Greek diplomat, “You don’t know the meaning of democracy”? Or is that an apocryphal story?

I’ve started wondering if the lack of support among the officers is the only thing that prevented a coup. Had Trump started to think the military would support him, he may very well have mobilized them in support of the insurrectionists.

I haven’t heard that, but it’s a good (funny) story. The old joke about Soviet educators teaching that all important things spring from Russia–resulting in a diplomat having no idea that the Greeks came up with the root word for democracy–was certainly widespread enough to make it into a Star Trek movie (and into the show before that). (In ‘substitute Klingons for Soviets’ form, of course.)

A lot of people think that’s a possibility.

(And it could be that the 1/6 -investigation House committee will uncover some remarks or instructions Trump uttered on the day that would support such a scenario.)

The 1/6 committee is now looking at evidence of pre-insurrection activities of a right-wing extremist group that was present at the notorious Willard Hotel planning sessions:

The confidence these extremist groups appear to have in the idea that many like-minded people are currently serving in military and law enforcement, is worth noting.

You know, I can understand why these guys want to have a “bad-assed Roman name” for their organization, but you’d think the politicians they’re “guarding” would take a second look at them because of this.

I mean, how many Emperors were assassinated by their own Praetorian guards? And how many times did the Praetorians literally sell the office to the highest bidder?

Your point is excellent, but recall that any politician who’d consider hiring these questionable ‘guards’ is going to be a member of a party that despises knowledge and expertise.

Their flagship propaganda channel just promoted to prime-time the guy who called for viewers to “ambush” a public-health official and “go in for the kill shot.”

Of course these people never think that they themselves will be the target of violence.