The Bourne Supremacy...

I HATE, HATE, HATE (!!!) this fast-cut trend in action scenes in movies. I hated the movie Gladiator because every fight scene was: shot of Russel Crowe with sword / cut to shot of his opponent with sword / TWENTY SECONDS OF INCOMPREHENSIBLE BLURRED IMAGES FLASHING BY / cut to Russel Crowe standing over fallen opponent. Huh? How did that happen?

In contrast, in the movie Troy, the fight between Achilles and Hector was filmed/edited much better. You can actually see the moves they are making as one person swings and the other blocks. You can follow the action with your eyes, as opposed to just having to take for granted that there is a fight going on somewhere in a blur of pictures. The camera moves enough and the editing is fast enough to give it a frenetic pace, but it’s not overdone. The Bourne Supremacy, as in Gladiator, overdoes it to the extreme.

I agree. It did feel like there should have been more closure. Either they’re going to do a supremacy two or nothing at all. I just don’t see any thing remotely like Ultimatum with the current ending. (I know the film isn’t like the book but there were soft references. Bourne running on the beach, writing down his dreams, the last treadstone assasin etc.)

anyway, I enjoyed it but it was lacking a certain je ne sais quoi?

My thoughts exactly!

My first thought while walking out of the movie was, “Well, that’s too bad.” Like a bunch of other people in this thread, I think they took what could have been a great movie and ruined it with stupid jerky camera stuff. One of the great parts about the first movie was that you could see what Bourne was doing while fighting. There was calm, rational thought behind every move. This movie made him seem uncontrolled, almost spastic.

Anybody know why they changed directors for this movie?

I too wanted the car chases and fights to have fewer cuts. Look at the big chases in Ronin. It seemed like the editors stayed with a shot as long as they could, to convey that it really happened, and wasn’t just faked from a hundred different tiny pieces. I think the director was trying to convey a feeling of disorientation from a first-person POV, but it makes it seem fake if the cuts are too frequent.

Look at the car chases and crashes in Blues Brothers. No one ever accused that movie of looking fake. They set up numerous cameras and just filmed the sucker.

I saw it and appreciated the gratuitous LotR casting (Eomer and Celeborn in one movie!) Did anyone else get the Russian dudes mixed up like me? When Bourne killed the last Treadstone guy, I turned to my companion and muttered “There can only be one.” It’s a great movie to MST3K. I was turned off by the bumbling woman who can do no right first half. But that was only a set up for making Brian Cox’s character a bad guy. Seriously, has he ever played a good guy? Note to self, never reveal a major piece of information alone to the boss in an isolated basement. Identity trumps Supremacy in my book.

Hear! Hear!

I really did not appriciate the over use of the steady cam. I am a “third-row center” movie watcher, and I started getting motion sickness.

Otherwise it was a fun film.

That wasn’t a Steadicam, Maus. That was plain old hand-held. Just like you with your little home video-cam. No gyros to stabilize it. If they had used Steadicams, we wouldn’t be grousing.

Good action.

Lacked heart.

Identity was much better.

Not that it really matters, since the only resemblances between the books and the movies are the titles and character names.