The British and their odd ways

We are English. My dear wife has had a dishwasher for 54 years, me! we had an automatic one for a while, waste of time, I do a much better job. As a retired health worker, I appreciate hygiene, and a well washed and dried plate is clean, whether rinsed or not.

I suppose that when you’re eating British food, the taste of soap on your dishes can only be an improvement. In civilized nations, though, where edible food is available, you don’t need to eat the soap.

Since when is Britain known for chocolate and cheese? I can’t name a chocolate besides Cadbury’s offerings, and their most famous cheese is known for being ubiquitous, and fake orange color. Their beer is good, but are we comparing to the USA, with many, many breweries, or to Continental Europe, most of which is pilsner, pilsner, different kind of lager, pilsner except Belgium and two areas in Western Germany. Yes, Britain, I’ll give you that your food isn’t all that bad.

To me, a sink is a hole to wash things down, not to soak things. If you need to rinse (<1/10 of every plate), you can hold it and run it under the water. It’s got more bacteria than your toilet bowl. Dishwashers are more environmentally friendly, unless you’re in the habit of running it almost empty every time.

I just found out “Brownies” doesn’t come from their clothing, but from the fairy. Good thing they didn’t go with “Redcaps.”

The cite is: eating estrogen soap will make you say things that make Dr. Bronner’s speech look somewhat sensical.

I remember a scene from the TV series “All Creatures Great and Small” in which James and Helen were washing teacups. It appeared that they were just putting them in water, then wiping the cups with their hands. No evidence of soap.

True story: friend in the UK told me about their daughter who was plagued with allergies and stuff. After a year of conventional health care, they went in desperation to a ‘healer’. (I know, I know). After a five minutes consultation she told them to rinse the dishes after washing them. They did this, the girl improved very quickly.
Funny thing: they then promptly stopped rinsing the dishes, when they came to visit us in Switzerland we had to invent all kinds of excuses to stop them doing the dishes as we didn’t appreciate their efforts… it isn’t a myth, many people in the UK are too lazy/daft to know better.
By the way, if the only chesse that you know that comes from the UK is Cheddar, you are missing out on A LOT…

What, you don’t rinse in hot water so that it evaporates more quickly off the dishes as they stand in the draining rack?

Brit here. My family has a dishwasher now, but when I was growing up in the 70s my mother never rinsed the dishes. My grandparents didn’t either.

It never even occurred to me that this was a bad idea. This despite gagging at the taste of washing-up liquid on my food on a number of occasions (I also remember eating sandwiches that a friend’s mother made us for a picnic and being disgusted at the taste of perfume or hand-cream on the bread). It wasn’t until I visited a girlfriend in the US in the late 80s and saw her reaction to me just stacking soapy dishes by the sink that I realised how gross this habit was.

On the occasions when they do wash stuff by hand now, they still don’t rinse them. When I’m staying I have to sneak everything under a running tap when they’re not looking.

Chronos the stereotype you’re rolling out is very out of date. You’d be amazed at how far we’ve come.

Could you please let me know which of the 700+ cheeses made in Britain this is, as I am keen to avoid it.

Also, can someone help me out here? An American commenting on another country’s bland and over-processed food export… is this irony or projection?

I’ve seen this and, fwiw, I tend to blame tv advertising from the early days when liquid was left on the washed plates, etc - I guess in order to demonstrate cleanliness. I suspect that unintended demonstration informed the public on how to use the stuff.

Generatons ago now, but you still see people tapping the roof of taxis so it’ll take a while yet to work through.

Must admit I’ve never noticed this, but why on earth is/was this a thing?

Cheddar. And nobody said it was shit. It just doesn’t make anybody think “Britain,” and isn’t controlled by a regional standard. The point is: are chocolate and cheese something you associate with the UK? No they are not. Switzerland, maybe.

No comment. This seems to be a great number of assumptions.

There’s a British Cheese Centre in Zurich :wink:

It can’t have been too far, if the taste of soap is still considered acceptable by comparison.

And to those asking about soaking in the sink, it’s common to have separate removable basins for washing and rinsing dishes in. If you prefer to rinse under a running faucet, though, that works too.

Since we’re Brit-bashing here … what’s up with all the old buildings? Did the urban renewal fairy pass England by or something. Sheesh, tear them old ugly things down and build new ones for cryin’ out loud. And can y’all at least try to speak correct English, that thick accent makes y’all sound like yer too lazy to rinse yer dishes. I know it brings in the tourist dollars, but English and Spanish are not longer separate languages, visit California and you’ll see what I mean.

Good point and that’s the image this thread brings to mind. TV advert of sparkling wet dishes in a rack with bubbles sliding off them, because that’s how clean XYZ detergent makes them.

In real life that is an indication of too much detergent in the wash and yes, I’d rinse anything like that.

Nothing wrong with rinsing if you want to. Personally I leave that to the dishwasher. :smiley:

I would too, but she divorced me …

No, it visited in WWII.
:dubious:

Irony, I think.
I have eaten little English food, but I don’t think either country produces any food exports to brag about.

I agree.

But this low-level mockery of another country’s cuisine and hygiene habits is tedious and lazy.

You might consider it to be a learning experience. My area, the Southern United States, is often mocked on the SDMB.