The coronavirus relief bill. Why no vote?

House rules require a minimum of a 15 minute voting period unless it immediately follows another vote. This didn’t. So yes it did actually shorten the time they had to be together by about 15 minutes.

The bill passed by an overwhelming majority. On a recorded vote, the only reason to say ‘Nay’ would be to openly take a stance — it would have had no effect on whether the measure passed.

Think again about your question. You ask your Representative “If there’d been a recorded vote which way would you have voted?” (Reverse Nay and Yea in the following if you prefer; the effect is the same.) Suppose he answers “Nay.” You wonder if he’s being dishonest; i.e. that he would have instead voted “Yea” had the vote been recorded. But the purpose of his recorded vote would be the same as telling you how he’d have voted!

On votes which will not be close, Congressmen either vote to please their constituents or according to their conscience. But demonstrating the courage or character to vote his conscience is itself intended to please constituents!

(Out of curiosity, how would you have liked your Congressman to have voted on this bill?)

Well, now Massie can be in an ad for having caused exposureto Congress:

"
.@NydiaVelazquez
says she’s been diagnosed with a presumed case of coronavirus

She was in the room with top House leaders @SpeakerPelosi
& @GOPLeader
on Friday

She & other N.Y.-ers came to vote after @RepThomasMassie
threatened to hold up relief package"

It’s still a lot harder to run ads against a non recorded vote. And I’m not worried about 2020 elections but I could see purity tests from the right and left a few years down the line.

BTW the House now is announcing it will not meet again in Whole until 20 April, unless another urgent vote is required.

Yep. Like with the Iraq authorization of force, which at least among Senators later running haunted a bunch of people. Which BTW is also why you want to bundle the bill to throw something to both sides, that way only the purest of the pure (or the wingnuttiest of the wingnuts) will make a stand.

Yes, that’s why the thread title is misleading.