The Dark Crystal (Netflix miniseries) spoiler tags

That would interest me as well - I will definitely watch it, but should I finish the series first?

Just finished the second episode and have been enjoying it. Sometimes, it feels like the producers were trying too hard. Like the overly long and complicated establishing shot in the library. But overall, I really like the lush, beautiful settings.

I honestly can’t remember how much of the plot is revealed in the doc. Erring on the side of caution, I think there are small spoilers in the sense of “During scene ABC we had to figure how to deal with XYZ.” Some of the plot might be revealed that way.

My main takeaway was that in the puppeteering world (which is apparently a thing) this production was the All Star Game of the Century. Jim Henson Studios was heavily involved in production, a lot of the team from the original Dark Crystal movie was involved, best of the field puppeteers puppeteered, voice acting was top shelf, set construction was out of this world, and video/lighting was next level. For me, I’d say the biggest surprise was how little CGI was used. I had assumed much of the look was computer generated, but most was actually puppeteering/lighting.

Obviously they might be tooting their own horns a bit, but I definitely came away with more of an appreciation of the series after watching the documentary.

I’ll check it out after I watch the show.

So how much hot puppet on puppet action are we talking about?

@DigitalC - “unfortunately” we don’t go beyond Holding Hands :wink: And there may be a kiss I forgot, but the main guys have some romance implied, but never get to it.

Back on a serious note, we just finished the series and are really touched and impressed. I look forward to the documentary, The voice acting, especially for the Skeksis, must have been wicked fun.

Some spoilery thoughts:

[spoiler]Making the Garthim - while a nice end reveal, how do you get from Spider plus Froggy mcFrogface to Giant Crab with Caterpillar feet?

The Arathims face/heel turn - one of my favourite Moments. Made total sense in lore, but seeing the classical hivemind baddy switch to the good guys was so refreshing[/spoiler]

Where do we we go from here? I could actually live very well without Season 2, as I see no way it not being
A) superdepressing or
B) another timeline or something, which would take away from the original movie.

Like it is, we could end on a positive note, including a reminder that not all is great (see Spoilers), and fill the gap to the movie in our heads.

I watched it with the expectation of it being pretty dark, given the state of the world during the movie. I can’t seem to get a straight answer on how far before the movie this takes place, seen anywhere from 50 years, 200 years to 1000 years, but there were at least some Gelfin villages at least until the very recent past in the movie.

It was cancelled today, no season 2 coming.

Crap.

That stinks. I wonder why. It drew good ratings from what I recall.