the dearth of knowledge that we are suffering from

JJohanPallen said:

Cecil did not fabricate anything, unlike you, who has fabricated the use of “humane” by applying it to language as a synonym for psychology, and also fabricated the word “anim” to mean something that is animated (moving) but less than human (but broader than animal).

The word death is singular and uncountable when used as an actor or process:
“Death comes to us all.”
“I was facing a wall of death.”
“That’s death-on-a-stick, mate.”

However, death can also mean a single instance of an individual ceasing life.
“The death of my father…”
“The death of my mother…”

In that context, death can be treated as two separate instances, and thus given the plural, deaths.
“The deaths of my father and mother…”

That sentence might be used when the father and mother died at separate times from separate causes, rather than in one event, such as a car crash.
Other errors with your writing:

“Humane” is not a synonym for human.

There is no use for appending humane to language and using it as a synonym for psychology. You are making that up.

Also, “anim” is not a word. You made it up.

You accuse Cecil of making things up, but you are the one making things up.

If you are a native speaker of English, you need to beat your parents right now. And your teachers. And your neighbors, and anyone who interacted with you from birth to now. Your English is mostly comprehensible, but your grammar is weak and you have numerous sentence construction errors.

First off, you do not need a period after a question mark. Error on your part.

Second, Lena Meyer-Landrut - Wikipedia

She is apparently some sort of German pop star. I have no idea why John picked her as an example except that she is apparently someone in pop culture that you might have some familiarity and is a non-native English speaker. I doubt it has any other bearing on the conversation.

Here’s the problem, you are trying to tell us how you think we should speak, but you are claiming it is how English demands that we form the sentence.

You are free to make the case that we should always acknowledge the gender of babies. However, current English usage commonly allows that phrasing, so to tell us we are in error is to be incorrect.

As I said, it is annoying to be lectured on proper English from someone who makes as many errors as you do. Stop It!

As the Eurovision winner within the last week, she is a somewhat obviously topical example. Not that I’d ever clocked John as a Eurovision fan.

Sounds like we’re caught in the Time Cube.

But that is drift by time; in Shakespeare’s day and long after, “homely” had the same meaning as in those ads.

At any rate, all the Indian English that I have ever encountered has been much closer to both standard British and standard American than the quaint idiom that JJohanPallen employs. No, my guess, now that I know he doesn’t know the name of Lena Meyer-Landrut, is that he’s from South Africa.

(I’m not a Eurovision fan, but the sudden rise from nowhere of “Lena” has brought her and the Song Contest into US headlines, and I looked at a few clips out of curiosity. In general, Americans know the Contest only as something that, long, long ago, both Monty Python and Benny Hill poked fun at. I picked her specifically because they showed her conversing with a Norwegian princess, using English – I suppose because it was the only language they had in common – and because I thought there was a fair chance that he would know who she was.)

I didn’t know who she was (until I looked her up just now), and I’ve lived in England my entire life. I saw the Eurovision Song Contest, but I didn’t make a note of her name, and I’ve never seen her interviewed. I don’t think knowledge of her is a particularly good test of UK residency.

I think he was referring to the models used by Picasso where there can be wide latitude in the placement of the baby during breastfeeding.

When did Bjorn come back to us?

Thank goodness I’m not the only one! I kept thinking we were part of a Turing test, but was afraid to mention it. I kept hearing a computer voice in my head as well, although it was the computer from War Games and not HAL. Heh. I kept waiting for the single post from Mr. Pallen saying “Shall we play a game?”

When reading the OP’s writings, why do I keep thinking I am about to get a big money transfer as long as I provide my banking information and passwords?

You think he’s Bjorn again?:dubious:

Eye kin cpell wae wurse then thad;)

Laugh it up, jokeboy. When the anims come for the humanes, you’ll be suckling out of the other tit.

Truly, a siggy for the ages.

When I first glanced at the OP I thought it was a goofy grammar/computer program mash-up…kept looking for the ‘goto’ and ‘end’. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, did anyone else get White Zombie’s More Human Than Human stuck in their head while reading this thread?

The posts speculating on Mr. Pallen’s identity seem to suggest the best place to get success from a Turing test is India.

BTW: The original work didn’t trigger the AI feel in me, I just thought it was some form of poetry that didn’t use the word Nantucket, but the responses did seem mechanical in nature, in more than just the repitition.

Actually, he claims to be from the Cocos Islands.

Thanks Chefguy for nominating this one for Threadspotting; I might have missed all the fun otherwise!

Guys, the answer is clear: Mr. Pallen is, in fact, a robot. Hence the endless fascination with our human language and the visible template in the formatting of his responses. Also, the liberal line breaks and the, shall we say, chatbot grammar are surely explicable with this insight in mind as well; these are the conventions in the robot world.

They’re here.

To the Irishman,
You made this statement in your message_

"Humane: you keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means".

I am asserting that you are a liar.

I am offering you a £100.00 bet that you can never prove your statement true.

Will you accept the bet?.

If you prove your statement true, I will pay £100.00 into your PayPal account within one hour.

J. Johan Pallen.