The Douchebag of Liberty has passed on.

I think part of the problem is your liberal use of the word “lying”. Lying necessitates two things: 1) communicating an untruth AND 2) doing so knowingly. Otherwise, the person is just wrong. Even if you think Bricker is wrong, do you KNOW that he made claims KNowing he was wrong?

Well, I guess that answers that.

But, whatever the American public knows, America’s enemies know.

I don’t know whether I have stopped understanding English, or you are speaking something else, but we are not communicating.

That’s not so.

To take an example to ridiculous extremes, suppose someone said, “Ellsberg was not a traitor because his disclosure hurt a Republican administration. If he hurt a Democratic administration, THEN he’d be a traitor.”

It’s obvious that such a person is using the word “traitor” in a way that wouldn’t be universally accepted. It’s fair, in discussing whether some act constitutes treason, to explore what specifcally makes it treason. It matters, then, to explore how you define “traitor;” and for that it does matter whether others similarly situated are also considered traitors.

As far as I’m concerned, Novak was a piece of garbage. He helped the “people in power” to foist a bullshit war on us, “outed” a CIA agent, and got the country into a “thing” about (let’s call them) the “America haters” Wilson and Plame, in order to placate someone else’s hissy fits. I’ll say it slightly differently - he was a piece of shit.

Like so many dead others of his political leaning; I wouldn’t make a point of pissing on Novak’s grave, but if there wasn’t a restroom nearby, and I really had to go…

Yes, but it is settled law that publishing secrets in the newspaper is not treason – except in certain extreme situations.

Could be you’re just calling him fucking stupid, I suppose. Are you?

Any reason you couldn’t have just asked the question directly?

Or, put another way, why didn’t you just ask the question directly?

I’ll defend to the death your right to do this, because frankly to do otherwise would be traitorous.

Or at least stingy.

The local news station was quick to play a soundbite of Novak defending his outing of Valerie Plame by claiming that lots of people knew she worked for the CIA. I wish they’d mentioned the rest of what The Douchebag of Liberty wrote, exposing the “brass plate” front company in which Plame and other covert agents worked at tracking nuclear and other weapons in Iran. Even if we grant credence to Douchy’s insinuation that “Joe’s wife is a spy!” was a nugget of gossip circulated at Virginia cocktail parties, why did he ‘out’ the front company - one that was actually trying to prevent mass destruction? Or did I just answer my own question?

I would bet that death from brain cancer would be more attractive than what happened to the NOC officers suddenly exposed in a hostile country. But I’ll never know, will I?

Wilson’s background
1976-78 Naimey, NIGER
1978-9 Togo
1981-2 South Africa
1982-5 Burundi
1986-88 rep. of Congo
1992 -05 Gabon and Sao Tome
You would have trouble finding a person with more familiarity in Africa.

These “facts” do get into the way. Fortunately, they require no examination since the reasonableness of or motviation for Novak’s decision are irrelevant to the question of whether Elsberg is a traitor.

Being on the opposite side of a bunch of people who gloat at the painful death of someone over such a petty difference as politics makes me feel pretty good about myself.

It’s why I role my eyes over the constant compassion based arguments from the left and grab my wallet.

Never has a group of people been more completely full of shit.

Oh awesome - another person who interprets “a real class act” as “a steaming pile of monkey shit!”

How dare you use facts to challenge a propaganda meme!

Novak was no Philip Agee, but he deserved a hell of a lot more heat that he ever took. I would not call Novak a traitor (because I do not think his actions were an attempt to help the enemy), but I do think that at minimum he should forever be remembered as a journalist who went way over the line in is his partisan zeal. If it can be shown (and perhaps it has) that his outing was linked to the death of an agent, then I would advance his membership in the deeper circles of Hell.

It disgusted me how the NeoCons defended Novak’s actions - since if the equivalent action had been done by a Left Wing columnist they would have been calling for a noose and a trial in that order.

Philip Agee (hero of the Campus Left when I was an undergrad): CiAcademy.com is for sale | HugeDomains

Thing is this isn’t necessarily about politics, really, unless you’re speaking only for yourself (and let’s face it, you weren’t). Nothing written here will likely impact the lives of anyone truly mourning Novack’s passing, so your self-righteousness is wasted. Novak was a politcal figure who, in additon to being divisive, committed a pretty serious offense in the minds of some. That a discussion of this (probably his most infamous and lasting act) would greet his death and that in the cou8rse of that discussion some invective appear should come as no surprise, but we’ll promise to keep quiet at the wake.

Who the fuck are you, Karl Malone?

Besides, your utter failure to respond to a valid point with more than trite insults indicates to the poster that the OP is indeed a mental defective.

Do us a favor sweetie, and shut your whore mouth, kay? :smiley:

Novak was a terrible person and I, for one, aren’t happy he’s dead, but I’m pretty far from broken up about it.