The dreaded "D" word (girlie stuff, not TMI)

Clinique Almost Lipstick went without my realising it.

Every bra that I have ever loved. Damn you Bali!!! The first time it happened I freaked out. I’d been wearing the same bra since 6th grade and when I was 22 they discontinued it. After that it was every time I needed a new bra. I HATE shopping for new bras and desperately miss the era of going to the store and picking up four bras off the rack and knowing that they fit without ever trying them on. Sigh.

I would just like to say as an Irish pale skinned female that I have never worn that orangey fake tan stuff that you are talking about. Neither do any of my friends - there may be a certain ‘group’ of females that do wear it but it’s not the case for the majority of Irish females. I also use Clinque foundation and they have plenty of pale colours, it’s probably just a name change to their foundations.

I’m glad it is not just me that this happens to. I was beginning to think I was cursed…

Estee Lauder Enlighten Makeup in Aura. It isn’t even a color you can name, it’s an Aura, you see, because it is so freakin’ pale, just like me. Bye bye. I have two bottles I ordered from the company, and when they are gone… sheesh. I have super pale, super sensitive skin with no yellow tones whatsoever. I’ve looked for a match in other makeups but no luck. Sheez.

My powder for my face, L’Oreal translucent in the dark purple case with the gold decorations… I can’t remember the exact brand, it has been that long since I saw it in a store. I did find several of these at a ‘Big Lots’, a store that gets in stuff from closing stores and discontinued stuff. You might look there for some of the things, of course, probably not the fancy stuff.

Clinique lipstick in Cerise. I loved this, a creamy sexy dark reddish brown, gone gone gone.

Garden Botanika’s lipsticks Plum and also Linden – this is the best shade of deep pink ever… gone. The perfumes Perspective and the Garden Botanika’s signature fragrance, gone.

My wedding china, SO gorgeous, Claridge bone china by Pfaltzgraff. It’s outta here, just a couple of years after I got married.

The lemon crepes at Copeland’s, the best lemon dessert EVER, gone.

Cookie Pie in the Sky at TGIFriday’s, gone. I walked out before ordering anything when I found out.

The chicken finger club sandwich at Applebee’s, the only decent thing on the menu, gone.

There are so many others…

Basically, if you want to get rid of something forever, just get me to like it. It is common knowledge to anyone who has known me for more that a few weeks.

Oh yes, the bras. Don’t manufacturers realize that: a) women hate trying on bras; and b) if I have to try on new bras, I am much more likely to switch to a competitor.

I found the perfect sports bra – no underwire (don’t like my clothes digging into me, thankyouverymuch), not too much lycra that it flattened my chest, not too much cotton that it didn’t have support, pretty because it had a lovely mesh center that drove my husband wild, AND they hooked in the back so I didn’t have to have a wrestling match with my wet bra after I worked out…

Then suddenly, they were gone.

I don’t have a lot of brand loyalty myself - I don’t use cosmetics or scents - most of what I buy are generics or store brands, and they do just fine. However, my husband LOVES Lavoris mouthwash, and apparently it no longer exists. Last time he saw some in a store, he bought 10 bottles, but no one carries it any longer. He doesn’t like the minty flavors - he liked the cinnamony-red. He’s got one bottle left. sad…

My mother - 76 - has used **Noxell ** foundation for at least 40 years. It was discontinued about 5 or 6 years ago in the states. She, being a Depressionary baby, stock piled it.

When she grew low on this supply, during a jaunt to Canada, she found a new supply. this supply is now gone.

My mom has gone through X amount of dollars trying vainly to find an adequant replacement. I automatically search for this stuff when I am out. It has become my Holy Grail for her.

Which is why I rarely wear makeup. But finding a moisturizer that is perfect for me is a night mare and when I did, it was discontinued. (Coppertone sunscreen.) Took me at least $100 in face moisturizers before I found an adequant replacement.
Bastards.
ANYWHOOOOO - regarding perfume…I thought there was somekind of perfume place (lab or warehouse) that had access to all discontinued perfumes. I read about this awhile ago when a 70 year old man was trying vainly to replace his wife’s discontinued bottle of perfume that had disc for 20 years. He found it through this place. I think it was in NYC.

My mother - 76 - has used **Noxell ** foundation for at least 40 years. It was discontinued about 5 or 6 years ago in the states. She, being a Depressionary baby, stock piled it.

When she grew low on this supply, during a jaunt to Canada, she found a new supply. this supply is now gone.

My mom has gone through X amount of dollars trying vainly to find an adequant replacement. I automatically search for this stuff when I am out. It has become my Holy Grail for her.

Which is why I rarely wear makeup. But finding a moisturizer that is perfect for me is a night mare and when I did, it was discontinued. (Coppertone sunscreen.) Took me at least $100 in face moisturizers before I found an adequant replacement.
Bastards.
ANYWHOOOOO - regarding perfume…I thought there was somekind of perfume place (lab or warehouse) that had access to all discontinued perfumes. I read about this awhile ago when a 70 year old man was trying vainly to replace his wife’s discontinued bottle of perfume that had disc’d for 20 years. He found it through this place. I think it was in NYC. I am currently searching.

While googling for “discontinued makeup” I discovered
this which for a fee of $50 you can send in a dime sized sample of your old favorite make up and they will make up a new one for you.

I beleive you get two samples.

Every Kodak product that I have liked has been discontinued. Among them are:

Film Cleaner

ReadiMounts (for mounting slide film)

Pan X film (A fine-grained, 32 ASA B/W film)

Recording Film (The polar opposite of Pan X)

Type two seperation film

Small wonder I use Ilford for everything these day.

And don’t get me started about when Jack Danial cut the proof from 90 to 86 back in 1987. Took me years to get used to the stuff.

Every Kodak product that I have liked has been discontinued. Among them are:

Film Cleaner

ReadiMounts (for mounting slide film)

Pan X film (A fine-grained, 32 ASA B/W film)

Recording Film (The polar opposite of Pan X)

Type two seperation film

Small wonder I use Ilford for everything these days.

And don’t get me started about when Jack Danial cut the proof from 90 to 86 back in 1987. Took me years to get used to the stuff.

:mad: What really bugs me is when shampoo companies take their good products and reformulate them [NEW, IMPROVED], and turn them to crap. This has happened to every shampoo I have ever loved. WHY CAN’T THEY JUST LEAVE IT ALONE?! I personally think this topic deserves a pit thread. I have steam coming out of my ears just thinking about it. And an itchy scalp thanks to those b*****ds at Organics! :mad:

I mourned the loss of Bath & Body Works Happy Daisy product line.

Generally I dislike flowery scents, but this one was different.

This site might have some advice on hard to find beauty products and good replacements. It’s sort of the SDMB of makeup and beauty products.

scoutybaby! One of my dearest, best friends loves Happy Daisy. Since it was discontinued, I have bought her a body splash/lotion set every year for her birthday… on Ebay. Check it out!

I mourn the loss of T.G.I. Friday’s Garden Dagwood Sandwich. Whole wheat bread, basil cream cheese, minced mushrooms, cucumbers, red bell peppers, tomato and lettuce. El Yummo.

Also not a girl but chiming in anyway cause this made me mad enough to spit.

Before our wedding we went and picked out patterns for china, crystal, flatware, etc. Being very poor we decided to go conservative and pick an established pattern that we could add to for the rest of our lives. Fortunately we found a Wedgewood pattern that was one of the first that the company ever created that we loved. It was called Napolian Ivy and had been in production for over 100 years before we picked it. We even asked the sales people if this was a safe bet and they assured us that if any pattern would be around for ever this would be it.

Well within five years of our wedding Wedgewood pulled the plug on it. We got a few pieces at clearence sales but we will never have more than a four piece place setting unless we want to pay antique store prices for used stuff.

Enought to make you chew your own foot off.

scout1222

The number to order discontinued Bath and Bodyworks products is 1-800-518-3616. I’m not sure what all is available. Good Luck!

They have it at drugstore.com:

Lavoris mouthwash

Evidently me and “Mr. S” were the only people that liked it. :frowning:

St Ives Protective Moisturizer- light, non-greasy, with SPF 15, and less than $3.00.

Carnation Chocolate Meltdown, hot chocolate mix it was the only hot chocolate mix that actualy tasted like it had chocolate in it.

Degrance, I just looked at available pieces of your pattern online. It looks nice… :smiley:

I’m emailing the link to a place that you can find it. If anyone else is looking for their discontinued pattern, go to my page and email me and I’ll give you the url. And no, I don’t work for them, but I sure as heck wish that I did, because I’d have ninety of everything.

Bethany