The drum fill

Somehow I keep reading this post as Dana Carvey is a genius.

Simple Minds - Don’t You Forget About Me ~3:40.

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule The World ~2:30

Led Zeppelin - Good Times Bad Times . . . the opening bit, namely the part at ~0:10.

Van Halen - Jump ~1:12 and also ~3:10

Primus - John The Fisherman . . . so many fills, so hard to pick.

Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls ~1:20 and also and more importantly ~2:20

When my band used to do those songs, it was all I could do to not sing along with those fills.

The latest song I’ve heard with excellent fills is still around 13 years old - Give 'em Hell, Kid by My Chemical Romance. None of them are very complex but they (starting at :18) drive the song ahead so perfectly and are so completely energetic.

A fantastic, sessioned-with-everybody drummer who tragically, SHITTILY went off the deep end, eventually bashing in his mother’s skull with a hammer, Jim Gordon took on the drumming chores on Steely Dan’s Pretzel Logic lp, and in “Rikki Don’t Lose that Number” (its beginning reminiscent of Horace Silver’s “Song For My Father”) he plays a number of great fills, and these two stand out.

Reminiscent? I always just assumed it was a direct quote of “Song for my Father.” Slightly different key (sounds a half step down to me) but that had to have been intentional, I assume.

I’ll go with that.

Some more splunge Ringo fills (how can’t ya luv the guy!):
“With a Little Help From My Friends”
“Lovely Rita”
his most impressive? “Oh Darling”

Ian Paice of Deep Purple gets a nod with several fills in “Space Truckin”:

Space Truckin' - Deep Purple - YouTube (I find the visuals to this one quite, um…ahem - uplifting?)
Space Truckin' - Deep Purple - YouTube
His series of triplets as the song fades out is also cool.

Simon Philips has fills coming out the yin-yang in Jeff Beck’s “Space Boogie”, off his There and Back lp.
If I had to limit to just three picks…(especially the last two, with the last one being one of the slicker outros)

Indeed, always liked that great Simple Minds fill, Eonwe.

Mitch Mitchell in “Fire” with Hendrix.
Decent cover: Fire- Jimi Hendrix (Drum Cover) - YouTube

Steve Gadd in (everything but especially) “Aja” with Steely Dan.
From 6:56 onward: Steely Dan - Aja - YouTube

Maybe someone can post some examples of Buddy Rich.

And just for fun, at 1:31:

The original was by the Bobby Fuller Four (fill at ≈ 1:18).

I always loved this break/fill at ≈ 2:15 in “Strange Brew”.

Oddly, I am very familiar with the original, but somehow never really noticed it there.

Yup, me too.

John Merryman of Cephalic Carnage is bonkers good, and seeing him live I had to pinch myself and constantly re-install my jaw.
Examples here from three tunes give an idea:

fun times opening, then a nice quick one @ 0:21, and a blistering one @ 1:07

Starting at @1:45, there’s a 25-second passage where the drummer’s fills synchronize quite awesomely groovy with the band.

From 0:53 - 1:29, more of the second example.
This shit’s stupid tight.

the formidable youtube world of JM.

Beat me to it. But I prefer the version on Three sides Live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0A1h29qRvk The epic double fill is at 4:13.

That fill has a bit of a provenance - Chester Thompson brought it over from his Zappa days - More Trouble Every Day. First one is at 0:25 and recurs throughout the song.

Here’s the story if you’re interested. It’s at 1:35:31 in this video of Zappa drummers talking about Zappa. The rest of the video is interesting if you’re into Zappa drummer lore BTW. Plus it has the incredible Ruth Underwood, which is a treat.

Almost. The original was by Sonny Curtis with the Crickets, released in 1959 – after Buddy Holly’s death. And it contains the six hard drum shots. (Around the 1:15 mark.)

Damn! I had no idea!

That’s my absolute FAVORITE Primus song. The guitar and bass work are legendary, and as you note, the drumming is FANTASTIC!

Holy goalie, thanks trillions! Watching it felt like I was sitting in on something dare I say intimate. Would’ve been cool to see Jimmy Carl Black (IF this had been shot before his passing in '08, not to mention that something tells me he might not have been on quite the same wavelength as the others…I could be wrong), as well as Aynsley Dunbar, but hey getting five drummers together like that is impressive and inspiring. Neat jam at the end.

Speaking of Fill:p Collins from a couple posts earlier:

Off Duke - YouTube

From 18:02 to 18:13 - two fine fills, and a nice roundhouse one right at the very end of the lp.

Neither did I. Here’s a listenable version. (And the lyric is “Robbin people with a zip gun” there, which makes more sense than “six gun” I suppose, since a “zip gun” is a thing, and a “six gun” isn’t (though I’ve always interpreted it as poetic license for a six-shooter.)