The "Enigma" Coding Machine and russia-Did the Soviets Crack It?

Sigh. That was a movie.

In real life, the British captured Enigma machines, codes, etc. from several submarines.

In real life, the U.S. Navy did capture U-505 and recovered an enigma.

As was mentioned back in post 4 though, the British had already recovered a bunch of them and were already breaking the enigma codes on a daily basis. The way the movie portrayed it ended up pissing off a bunch of folks in the UK and President Bill Clinton even ended up apologizing to Tony Blair for it, saying that it was only a work of fiction.

“Cribs” were an important element in a very complex effort to attack Enigma. Too complex for me to finger-type on this phone! But I do recall reading that one guess that did indeed work was assuming that bored, lonely young men far from home might use the names of their girlfriends as part of the nonsense “padding” characters. Decryption attempts using common female names and nicknames yielded results more often than random chance.

The Soviets certainly had spies high up in British intelligence, but it is one thing to steal a decrypted message and quite a different thing to understand the methods they used. AFAIK, it is still forbidden to talk about the details. At least I knew a mathematician who spent the war at Bletchly Park and he would never talk about it and died with his secrets intact. Generalities are of course well known the details are supremely important in this game.

When did he die? As far as I’m aware, Ultra as declassified in the mid 1970s, although it’s possible that the individual cryptographers involved were still bound to secrecy after that point. There is a lot of detailed information available about how it was done, for example this Wikipedia article.

–Mark

I also wonder if Stalin shared his intelligence with the US and UK-given his paranoia, I doubt it. Stalin maintained a deep distrust of his allies, and it would not surprise me to learn that he would withold such information.
Regarding Kursk, it must have been obvious to the german generals, that the Russians knew too much about their strategy-the Russians let loose an artillery barrage one hour before the Germans launched their attack-it must have been obvious.