The eternal question: What kind of tattoo should I get?

Knorf, I am 26. You are hardly a generation older than I am.

I didn’t get tattooed because it is trendy. I got ink because I wanted to. Do I care what you ( and others ) think?

NOPE.

If you saw me at work, you would never even know I had them.

If you are shallow enough to judge people by outward appearances, then you may be lonely when you grow old.

FTR, Knorf, I am a few years older than you. I have been wanting to get a tattoo for several years now, and I never considered doing it because I wanted to be “trendy” or faddish. I wanted to get something that is very personal and will always mean something to me.

Yes, I considered all those things you mentioned, about removal, about what it might look like much later in life. I don’t mind if it fades, they can always be touched up. And I want to choose something that I won’t consider getting removed, which is why it needs to be personal instead of decorative or something that you only want to show off to other people.

There is a big change in my life right now, and I want something that will mark this turning point. I think I made my decision several years ago about what kind of tattoo to get.

And now I have done it. This past weekend to be exact. As soon as I can find a place to post a picture, I’ll provide a link.

And a hearty congrats to misstee on your tattoo. I’m just glad that I finally worked up the nerve myself to follow through with my decision.

((((((Horseflesh)))))))))

Its my third one, and I love it. A very special friend of mine suggested it, and the tattoo artist drew it for me.

Thanks for the big hugs, misstee. I had a friend go with me and offer encouragement to go through with it.

I’m also proud to say that none of the drawings in the flash books appealed to me. I drew up my own, and had the artist perfect it.

Even now I’m considering what I might get as a next tattoo (though that won’t be for a while, gotta take care of this one).

Pictures are coming soon! I just found out how to make a photo album in Yahoo, and now I just need to retrieve the picture from my friends camera. misstee, if you like you can email me your tattoo pic (and pics of your other ones if you want) and I can post it/them for you.

Rock on, Horseflesh
I will email them to you!
Glad you had a friend there to share the moment with, its nice to have someone there watching and admiring.

I always thought a Mr. Natural on the shoulder would be nice.

http://www.toonopedia.com/natural.htm

BTW, Skeezix, I didn’t mean to not address your post. You’re right, the map across my back would be an outrageous and all too appropriate tattoo, but just a bit much for my first time. :smiley: Randall, Wally, Og, Fidget, Strutter, and Vermin would be proud of you for remembering the map (if only you hadn’t sided with Evil and been reduced to wearing a couch slipcover).

Okay, here is my Tattoo Album. Mine looks a bit crusty as it was less than a day old at the time of the pic, but it looks much better now. It was rather odd having some guy I’ve never met shave a small portion of my chest, and the needle would sometimes make the strangest sensations in my neck, arm, and sternum, but it was enjoyable all the same. misstee’s three tattoo’s are here as well, and I gotta say that I really like all of them.

Enjoy.

Feh, thats nothing, I have had kids and have been shaved south of the border by an mean old lady nurse.

Thanks Horseflesh for posting the pics for me.

I would never tatoo myself. If I absolutely had to, it would be a portrait of myself. In the end, what else is there? What has more permanance and relevance?

Knorf, I’ll share with you one of my favorite quotes regarding tattoos.

“The only difference between a person with tattoos and a person without, is that the person with tattoos doesn’t care that you don’t have any tattoos.”

Or something like that…

I love my tattoos, and I have never regretted them once. They are beautiful, and I do not think I would look like me without them.

My advice on getting one is the same as several other people’s, try to find a tattoo artist who can help you with your design. I like original designs, rather than flash.

How about an M on each butt cheek…When you bend over, it’d say MOM, and if you stand on your head it’ll say WOW.
can’t remember where I heard that

I’m not lonely now, and dont plan to be in the future. Oy, I guess I hit a nerve. Feeling a bit defensive, are we?

In point of fact, who sad anything about judging a person by appearances?
I thought the discussion was about tattoos.

But more curiously, are you going to deny that caving into a trend says something about you?

People who give in to fads always claim that they “didn’t do it because it’s trendy.”

:rolleyes:

Yeah, whatever.

Knorf

Actually, the discussion was “What kind of tattoo should I get,” not “please give me your opinion about tattoos and the people who get them…”

You could start your own thread regarding your opinion of them, but it’s all been hashed out here.

How about some Chinese characters depicting a coiled snake ready to strike at a butterfly? With some barbed wire…

Not at all. Perhaps someone will suggest an idea or a direction previously not thought of.

Happened with a bunch of my tattoos.