The Flight of the Bettie

ROAD TRIP!!!*

A convoy out to see Bumbazine sounds like a vapor-flash, so I’m heating my tubes already. I just need Kilt to send me Guido’s 'com-code and I’ll be good to go. Bumb, I appreciate your offer of a Sqwelch3, and I really don’t care about odors since I had the facial reconstruction after the Detmoor Yahtzee Incident, but I need a blower to get out to see you about the blower, if you know what I mean.

So we’ll link up at FarAway, right?

BTW Bumbazine - thanks for the invite on a “vouched for by Rue” basis. I’ll keep my hands off the kleef, I promise.

Kilty? Please find that vid of FCM extorting her creds back from that cheating Doshato. The rest of us really want to see it.

[sup]* Do you guys know where this phrase came from? I’ve seen the word “road” in history texts, but I’m not sure what it means. I gather it’s something like a pedway, but that really can’t be right.[/sup]

Exgineer Guido’s 'com-code is embedded in the c-band on this carrier. Tell him Lucy and I sent you. As for FCM and her excercise in Doshato diplomacy, I have it on a storage crystal - don’t wanna risk transmitting that puppy - never know who might be picking this signal up. Last thing I want is to wind up with a zapstick up my nose…

FCM, you’ll have to blame Zhirovsky for my copy of the vid. He thought it was too damn funny to let you destroy every copy. Besides, he needed a copy kept safe in case the Doshato lodged a complaint against the bar with Station Admin - they’re vindictive little buggers, and insisted that as the owner of the place, he should’ve kept “his females” (the Doshato ambassador’s words, not Zhirovsky’s or mine) under control. I think that you might even enjoy seeing it - you’re pretty impressive leaping over the table like that, and it’s always nice seeing someone that disagreeable getting it right in the exoskeleton.

So, FarAway it is. I’m just a couple of lightyears away, so I’ll see you guys soon.

As for “road”, near as I can scan it’s a pretty old word - we’re talking pre-industrial, if you can believe that. Seems to have originated in Scotland at some point. Some kind of personal travel system, I think you could walk on them or ride them, whichever you wanted. Odd. Apparently they had “low” ones and “high” ones, not sure what the distinction was.

Ifney! FCM, you would have to call me on the bordello story. Like most spacer stories, it sounds a lot funnier than it actually was.

Well, I suppose it’s okay to transmit.

Keep in mind that we were just young pups in those days, freshly minted pilots in the Impy Far Guard, and full of piss and morrille. (and ourselves). The Guard was taking anything sentient that had grasping appendages to fight the Bokar back then. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyway, we were TDY on Dibney station off Deneb 4. Rue and I had spent our paychecks on the traditional wine women and song, and were rather blearily lying on the proto-grass in the ‘town square’ holding down some acreage that we were sure was about to go null-G and float away. If you’ve ever been on Dibney you know where I mean, there’s an actual stone statue of a dyspeptic looking guy riding a huge furry lobster sorta thing in the middle of it. We were staring up at the lobster, (you’d be surprised at what’s on the underside of those things), and bragging about all the unlikely things we were going to do in the war, when a seven foot tall woman, in what sounds like Rue’s uniform for you (but without the bikini part), suddenly appeared. At least it seemed pretty sudden. She pointed at Rue and asked me “Is he yours?”
I looked over at Rue, who was snoring rather loudly by that time, and being a wise-ass, (even then), and drunker than a Klott besides, I replied, “Naw, you can have ‘im.”
Well, she tossed me one of her Novastone bracelets, slung Rue over her shoulder and took off. I would have stopped her, but it suddenly became imperative that I feed the Wuzzies on the other side of a bit of shrubbery at that moment. Anyway, a little while later, when my stomach unclenched, they were gone. Somehow this didn’t bother me as much as I should have, and I went to sleep.
I woke up next day cycle about a GH before morning muster with a supernova behind my eyes and no Rue, so I did what any greenie pilot in His Imperial Majesty’s service should do when he’s in over his head, I called the TopSar. Ten GMs later TopSar Kelly showed up on a grav-bed with our ground crews and we all headed into the Tenderloin district. Apparently Kelly had had some prior experience with the fem in question. We all piled out in front of The Tender Trader and scrambled up to the lock. There was a Gumpy guarding the door who didn’t want to let us in but Kelly lovingly applied the tip of his baton to his head and that worthy laid down to take a nap, so we went inside.
There were about twenty Gumbys in there to our seven. It looked to be a pretty uneven fight. In fact, we offered to let them send out for more guys, but they decided to give Rue back instead. Trouble was, Rue didn’t want to come back, but TopSar talked him into it. I can still remember his gentle arguments to this day. I’m sure Rue does too.
The only downside was that TopSar made me give back the Madam’s bracelet. It was a really nice stone too.
See, I told you it wasn’t that good.

BTW, I’ve plasma-welded a small bubble onto my main with a large depression to one side, and I arranged for a mini-grav so you can put in some hot water and it will stay in the concavity. I remember you liked to sit in those things for some reason. A sonic shower seems more efficient, but we have lots of distilled comet ice, so that’s no problem. What else should I put in there? I had to close it off from the rest of my crib so everything wouldn’t drift into it, I hope you don’t mind.

Well, it’s my turn to watch the telemetry that’s watching the rock. It’s tough work, but somebody’s got to do it. :slight_smile: See you all soon.

Well, Bumbazine, one thing your story cleared up - I always wondered about that “birthmark” of Rue’s - now I know. It also explains his crew uniform preference, the perv.

No biggie.

Anyway, Bumb, I haven’t forgotten the promise I made to you when you beat me in the Porshakk Challenge. Since my situation has gotten better, I’ll make good on my wager - I told you I wouldn’t cheat you. I’ll even throw in something extra for your patience - how do you feel about ardaangion? And I mean the real stuff, not synth. You’ll like it, I’m sure.

Rue, I’ve arranged for the supplies and my gear to be delivered - do I need to be there to receive it or will you be around? Either way, I’m ready to go.

Incidentally, guys, I was clearing out some junk while I was packing, and I came across a few items I might be willing to part with, for the right price.

A KGR-847 linear adapter - it’s used, but it still works.

A complete set of Borel DD4A interlocks - upper, lower, and inverted - factory rebuilds that have never been installed.

A tuned and ready Pemmeler (I think it’s the greer mod) - I tested this myself and it’s the best you’re going to find - plus two or three others that have been cannibalized, but they’ve still got good parts left - I’ll throw them in.

And the best of the lot: A brand-new, still in the original packaging, still hermically sealed Chell-Drang 72-442 converter, including the manual! You can’t get these anymore - except for cobbled together substitutes.

Anyway, since you’re like family to me, I’ll give you first shot. Let me know.

Hey guys.

If any of you want to get in on the run-and-gun, you need to tell me now so I can pass your names on.

Here’s the cram:

Entrance fees are 10 Novas. It’s steep, but that means a bigger pot for the winners.

We’ve got over 400 old mass drivers of various sizes to set rocks, but some of them are pretty small and we don’t have enough people willing to reload, so there can only be 73 entries. I know that sounds like a lot, but there’s a lot of itinerant sentients around here. Imperial research grants tend to draw them.
We’ve also got over a thousand flying spiders to clear the course after each run so early runners don’t get an advantage.

All rocks will be NI or iron banded so you can mag your hull. I have MagGens if anybody needs one. Fortunately none of you have organic hulls. And before you ask, no we’re not going soft, it’s just too much bother to tow dead ships out of the course.

We’ll have separate categories, with separate purses, for single-seat and pilot/gunner, so FCM can sit Ordo for someone if she wants to play.

Scoring is standard 1 – 10 points according to size, number of shots, etc.,
neg 100 points for fragging a ‘miner infested rock’. We’ll have beacons and holos to simulate MIRs. And NO auto-IFF, so you’ll have to scope the rocks yourselves. :smiley:

ALL contestants must wear vac suits except maybe beings who don’t normally need them. They’re still argueing about that. Some people claim it’ll give the Thorians an advantage. Ha! They’d have to go a lot farther than that to give a Thorian an advantage.

Oh, speaking of Thorians; I salvaged an ancient slowboat a while back. Must have been second expansion at least, maybe even older. She’d been pretty well gutted, but I did find a box of very very old 2-D recordings. That’s how I got hooked up with these scientific types, they go all wonky over that sort of stuff. Anyway, the librarian here has been cataloging them, (so they can assess my tax liability, don’cha’know?) so I accessed her computer and searched on “high road and low road” (was that rght** Kilt**?) thinking I could pull some visuals for exgineer and I found this old entertainment program. I was late to meet Kelly, (that’s right Rue, Kelly’s here. He finally retired and bought himself that bar), so I downloaded the whole program and headed over to his place. He likes those old sorts of things, anyway. It was still 2-D, so we had to project it onto the bulkhead over the bar, but you get used to that pretty quick. First up was a georgeous red-headed fem singing a song in Ancient English (at least I think it was AE). Everybody liked that. Then a man in an odd costume came out onto a little platform with a Thorian under his arm and proceeded to strangle it there and then, complete with screams and gurgles! Kelly got a huge grin on his face and shouted “The Screaming Handbags!” Turns out that what I thought was a Thorian was an ancient device called a ‘bagpipe’, or ‘the bagpipes’, I’m not sure which.
Anyway, Kelly’s been playing that damn recording on continuous loop ever since. It’s been a big hit. It seems there’s a lot of humans around who like the sound (including myself).

And besides, it scares the Hell out of the Thorians. :smiley:

Anyway, let me know.

Yep, those are bagpipes. You know, there are still folks who make them and play them - I’ve heard 'em with my own ears. Next time you’re on Earth you should set down in Sector 12a, NW quadrant. The locals still call the place Scotland, and it’s like nothing you’ve seen on Earth. You’ll get to hear the pipes, eat some haggis (don’t ask, just eat it. It’s tasty.), and take in the scenery - they have hills, grass and trees up there. Oh, and make sure to sample the local drink.

And Bumb, whaddaya mean “strange costume”? I’ll have you know it’s a damn comfortable way to dress, as long as the grav plating under your feet doesn’t fail.

Folks, I may have to go dark for a couple of days - the AE-135 is still wonky and Lucy tells me it needs a full overhaul. I’m gonna put in at Kreiger’s Point for the repairs, and I’ll catch up with you guys once everything’s five by five. No big deal, just a reli{crackle-crackle-hiss}ility issue more than anything - I can’t be 100% sure that any transmission is gonna go in one piece. Not to mention the damn duplexing.

So don’t wait for me, if I don’t make the hook-up, I’ll pull some extra boost out of the Miles/Montgomeries (it’s not like they don’t have boost to spare!) and close the lag before you know it. Just send me a vague flight plan and I’ll find you.