The forgotten generation of MTV..

I’m afraid I am. The thought of putting that in the same category as Fawlty Towers … ::shudder:: To each his/her own, and all that.

Catrandom

I think MTV “jumped the shark” when Martha Quinn left and Julie Brown replaced her. Martha was about the music and Julie was less about the music than about looking and acting like a whore. And what was Pauly Shore doing there? Ugh! He was horrible.

Back in '84, it was all Duran Duran, all the time. I was in heaven. I loved all of that cheesy music. I miss my MTV, too. I find myself saying “back in my day” when I refer to the good old days of MTV. We ARE getting old.

Headbanger’s Ball, baby!

Remember how cool that show was? And the little intros back from commercial with the videos of trains wrecking and guys wiping out on bicycles, all to the tune of S.O.D.

Now that makes me feel nostalgic.

[aside]Anyone else remember when HBO first came out? It wasn’t on 24 hours a day, and you had to flip a little switch on a box that sat atop your TV to descramble it.[/aside]

Randy of the Redwood’s is now on Arliss…he was annoying

The horrors of Amuck in America.

Then the grandaddy of all events Live Aid!

NOthing could be worse than seeing Chilean MTV in the eighties…

Magnetoscopio Musical! the horror…the highlight of the show was when Michael Jackson’s people sent the show a small bronze bust of himself to thank them for introducing his videos to south america.

Man was I stoked when Money for nothing came out…showing the masses the possibilities of computer animation…WOW!

WIERD AL!!! thats all i gotta say!

When MTV first started the school librarian would let us watch it in the av room during lunch, we used to sit there and rock out to AC/DC “For those about to rock” I think the downfall came with Mtv Raps, not because of the music but because they decided that shows about videos were more popular and got better ratings. Then it morphed into just shows, The Real World was cool for a year but now Real World 7 with alcoholic loser who all chain smoke and bitch about each other is just plain stupid.

Ricki Rachtman was the original Headbangers host I think???

some of my favorites:
Dexy’s Midnight Runners-Come on Eileen
Hall and Oates- Maneater
AC/DC-For those about to Rock
Sammy Haggar-3 Lock Box
Duran Duran-Hungry Like the Wolf
Aha-Take on me

I could go on but what is the point

And remember when “120 Minutes” was cool? When alternative music was actually considered alternative? Where else could you see Echo and the Bunnymen and the Smiths?

I really miss the Young Ones, too.

(Sigh)…

The day’s when a zebra patterned MTV logo crudely drawn upon a blue canvas binder or PeeChee folder are long gone.

I got introduced to MTV by my babysitter when it first was introduced to cable (Hey Bay Area folks, remember Gill-Cable? Remember Superman and Swamp Thing repeated ENDLESSLY for years?) back when it seemed like it was the same two dozen videos repeated in three hour rotation.

I still have the hots for Martha Quinn and her little pixie 'do though.

That’s the guy!! I used to love watching that! For some reason I’ve always had a thing for men with long hair and tattoos. I really miss my Mtv!

We first got MTV when I was 13, I think it had existed for a year or two before that. I was in love with it; up until then the only place a non-cable kid could see videos was on NBC’s “Friday Night Videos,” (now it’s just “Friday Night” or something like that) or on a syndicated show called “Top 40 Videos.”

I loved “The Young Ones,” and btw, they’re available on video now. I wouldn’t mind MTV having some original programming or imported comedy and the like, but as many above have noted, it’s almost no music anymore. What really makes me crazy is that even when they do their daily countdown show, where you’d think they’d show videos in their entirety, they run viewer comments over them and have kids from the crowd in Times Square screaming about their favorite bands. Every kid ends his or her request with “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH!!!” or something similar, thereby obliterating even more of the fraction of the video MTV is deigning to show…

I wonder sometimes why anyone bothers to spend the money to make videos anymore. I don’t know anyone who gets M2, so where can you really go to see them?

I’ve heard that videos are now made with Carson Daly and TRL in mind…somehow, that stiff and his afternoon show have become a great influence in the world of pop music, you make it to TRL, you will sell millions…go figure?

When the B-sharps won a Grammy
Lisa-" Dad, you beat Dexy’s Midnight Runners!"
Homer-" Oh, you haven’t heard the last of THOSE guys."

HEHEHE
and BTW, “What’s worse than grease on Olivia?”