The Grateful Dead seem Out of Tune often

Ah - not holding the guitar up high; you are asking about playing on the upper frets. Well, I don’t know much about his playing skills, but yeah, a lot of Country and Bluegrass is based on G, C, F and D-type chords, so it is not uncommon for non-technical players to just use a capo so that the same chord-shapes work in any key up and down the neck…

I heard it referred to as “Methodist” in church.

That and a big fat joint.

Slee

The tuning and harmonizing of the band was geared towards those under the influence. If you’re listening to it straight and not under the spell of Marywanna nor LSD, of course it’s not in tune. Tune your ears, Dude…

Y’all?

We seem to be hi-jacking the thread, but for those of us who think Johnny Cash wasn’t a good picker, may I ask your crtitique of this Nick Lowe tune?

And I need to let you all know, I love Johnny Cash. He rocked me before even Elvis did, so I like to hear ALL comments, pro OR con!

Thanks

Quasi

Just listening to a bootleg of Cash with Bob Dylan. When Johnny played in Dylan’s Girl From The North Country Album, they played around in the studio doing various songs. It is great to hear, but nobody would approach Cash or Dylan with contracts to perform opera.:smiley:

Johnny is an effective singer because he delivers his lines like a man; I don’t find any issues with his pitch or other technique that distracts me from that, which I can’t say for most of the vocals I hear from the Dead.

In terms of guitar, he is just playing a straight set of chords with a thumb-bass down, light-finger-strum up pattern. Nice and sparse, but anyone could do it once they get the chord changes down comfortably…

What does a Deadhead say when he runs out of dope?Man, this music sucks.