The Greatest Songs About Places.

I’m not turning up the lyrics right now, but Phil Cody, on his pretty good CD The Sons of Intemperence Offering sings a nice ode to his hometown in “Hats Off (to the Big Queen City)”.

(For you furriners, “The Queen City” is Cincinnati’s nickname)

This is a good 'un… :slight_smile: In Zaire - Johnny Wakelin

Things to do in Denver when you’re dead - Warren Zevon

Cheyenne - The Del-Lords

There is an interesting coincidence here which I am not at present at liberty to discuss. I’ll be back in a few days with the details.

Can he do that? Surely he can’t just waltz in a thread, make such an intriguing statement, and then just disappear into the ether(net)?

Istanbul (Not Constantinople), especially the version by They Might Be Giants

I love Copenhagen( my favourite city!) by Scott Walker, but I can’t find a link, unfortunately! :frowning:

All will be revealed.

Does Stuck Out in Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again count?

and “I Left My Heart In San Francisco”

“San Francisco” (open your golden gate, you let no stranger wait outside your door)

several other good San Francisco songs too.

Clearly the correct response here is The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota, the magnum opus of a certain Alfred Yankovic.

Toolmaster of Brainerd by Trip Shakespeare.

From the Fountains of Wayne songbook:

Hackensack
Fire Island
Amity Gardens
The Hotel Majestic
Red Dragon Tattoo [Ink spot]
I-95
Killermont Street (Aztec Camera cover)

I forgot Harry Chapin’s “Dogtown”, about Cape Ann, Massachusetts during the whaling era.

Also about bestiality. We’ll not discuss that right now.

Planet Claire!

:d

Lake Shore Drive.

Kashmir

And I’ll second L.A. Woman - that song is guaranteed to make me homesick the moment I hear the opening.

Oh, and I swear there’s a song “Stuck in Lodi again” but I don’t remember the artist.

Creedence Clearwater Revival

El Paso by Marty Robbins
Mozambique by Bob Dylan
Black Diamond Bay also by Bob Dylan
Free Fallin’ by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (I lived in the San Fernando Valley at the time it came out, otherwise it would be a song about young love or somesuch)

A couple more… England.
Belfast.