The Hardest Wood

• That reminds me: anywhere you have bluffs, you can have trees growing right out of vertical cracks in the rocks–usually some kind of pine trees I see along the Missisippi river bluffs–and the small size of these trees (a few feet tall) gives no indication of their age. It is not unusual for a tree only four feet tall and with a trunk an inch thick to be 100-125 or more years old, and the wood is extremely hard and strong. The same species of tree that ends up growing in soil at the top or bottom of the bluffs grows up as big and as soft-wooded as you’d expect.
        ~

In the mountains of Nevada an hour or so drive outside of Las Vegas, my dad tried to cut something he called ‘mountain mahogany’ with a chainsaw. He broke 2 or 3 chains and managed to cut a chunk 4-5" thick. It was dark brown, nearly black. I have no idea what it really was. Maybe this shrub

The Ginkgo is what most people would call a deciduous conifer, although that isn’t really correct, as it belongs to a different division of vascular plants. It is quite an odd tree in other respects; the pollen grains release motile sperm that swim to fertilise the ovules.