The Three Investigators books are a favorite of mine and are still an entertaining, though dated, read these days. I haven’t read any Hardy Boys books in ages. I also remember and still have quite a few of the Happy Hollisters books, also a mystery series from Stratemeyer.
I also remember the Brains Benton series and the Mad Scientists Club books. There weren’t a lot in either series but they are still entertaining reads.
We’ve been collecting a whole set by scouring estate sales and antique stores.
Something surprising happened the other day and my son-in-law said “JEEPERS, piped up little Ricky!”
I had no idea he’d read the Happy Hollisters, where each kid had a catchphrase that they’d blurt out.
We’ve also been trying to find ‘young adventure’ books by Leo Edwards, an author who had a cabin on Lake Ripley (Cambridge, WI) in the '20s and '30s. He wrote the Poppy Ott, Trigger Berg, and Jerry Todd books which are a lot of fun, and make me nostalgic for a “free-range childhood”.
The cool thing was, Leo’d invite all the kids who lived/summered at the lake to sit on his porch and listen to a rough chapter and give him feedback. My dad was one of that gang, and I imagine him yelling “No way would a real kid do that!”
(Those kids became the earliest members of The Order Of The Freckled Goldfish, named after an early Poppy Ott book. Membership pins and wallet cards were available if you wrote to Mr. Edwards at this cabin).
He got so much mail from kids that he’d publish pages of letters in the back of the books, and encourage each kid to write to the others and form clubs. “The Chatterbox” was early social media.
I sure did. To be sure, there were often adverbs associated with the speech tags. Things like “Tom said brightly” or “Mary answered sadly.” That kind of thing. But the adverbs formig a pun with what was just said? Not a thing.
There was a Tom Swift TV series on the CW in 2022, a spinoff of their Nancy Drew series. It lasted only one season of 10 episodes. It had, according to wikipedia, the lowest viewership of any scripted series on the CW that year.
Those were both good. I was only able to get hold of a couple of the Brains Benton books when I was a kid. (Well, a teen, anyway.)
“Ellery Queen Jr” wrote a series of ten or so books starring a kid named Djuna (no last name) and his friend, a reporter named Socker Furlong – all of the titles had coloured animals in them (The Blue Herring Mystery, The Golden Eagle Mystery, &c).
None of the Ellery Queen Jr. books were written by Queen. They farmed them out to several writers, mainly Samuel Duff McCoy, a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter who moonlighted ghosting kids series. They have a very odd publishing history. The first eight featuring Djuna - Ellery’s houseboy in the real novels - appeared from 1941 to 1954. Those are the ones with colored animal names. In 1961 and 1962, Ellery Queen Jr. reappeared for two non-animal named books, featuring Gulliver Queen, Ellery’s nephew - quite a feat considering Ellery was an only child. Those failed, so in 1965 Djuna was brought back in 1965 for no understandable reason for the ninth book in the series.
The Djuna books were regular hardbacks of the sort that libraries bought. The Gulliver Queen pair looked like other kids series because they had the same publisher as Brains Benton, Golden Press. I’ve never even seen them but I’ve read several of the Djuna titles, which are now pricey collectibles.
I’ve never considered the Gulliver Queen books to be part of the same series, or even close relatives. Don’t recall ever seeing Djuna in hardback; I had at least two (Blue Herring and I think Golden Eagle) in paperback. “Pricey”? You could call it that – Amazon is offering Blue Herring for $289 (only $99.95 for the mass market paperback!) and Yellow Cat for $449. All used copies, of course.
Never saw one of those until sometime in the last twenty years or so. We got the order blanks, with descriptions of the books being offered, in class, then turned our order and money in to the teacher to be sent off to Scholastic; the books would be delivered to the school a few weeks later. I got some really good books from them – The Forgotten Door, Escape from Warsaw (which I still reread every few years), The Horse Without a Head (ditto), A Wrinkle in Time, and others.
“Pricey” is a very medium category for collectibles. The first Ellery Queen in hardback with a dust jacket isn’t available on the internet that I can find, but the second and third are there for more than $8,000 each. $450? Chicken feed.
I have all the true Ellery Queen books including a couple of later firsts, but I was never crazy enough to try to collect them. Reading copies and paperbacks are just fine.
The only books mentioned so far that I ever read are The Three Investigators (or Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, as the cheap paperbacks I had were branded).
Here in the UK, the juvenile detectives genre was dominated by the remarkably prolific Enid Blyton, most iconically her “Famous Five” series, but also the “Secret Seven” and the “Five Find-outers”.
Like other series already mentioned, the books have been updated over the years, but the most recent TV adaptation of the the Famous Five was set in the post-WWII period, which I think was for the best. I don’t see how a modern-day version could really work, in a world of mobile phones, etc.
The first of these I ordered from was in 1962, I got Robert Silverberg’s first book, Revolt on Alpha C, and more importantly to me, Challenge of the Spaceship by Arthur C. Clarke which had a lot to do with me becoming a scientist. Still have both.
Well, it’s “The Five Find-Outers and Dog” in full. I don’t know if that takes the curse off it?
I think it’s meant to be the sort of name a group of pre-teen children might come up with, but let’s face it – this was Britain in 1943. People had more pressing matters to worry about.
How successful had Enid Blyton become by that point? I would think that eventually, she was selling so many books that editors would have given her carte-blanche for whatever she wanted to do.
Haha, no, still terrible. But “Dog and the Five Find-Outers” has a little music to it
I also just re-read this, having been reminded by this thread, and I agree, it was not good. Jupiter Jones is pretty much a dick, which works for, say, Nero Wolfe because he’s obviously so much smarter than everyone else, but Jupiter just uses big words for the most part. He treats Pete and Bob like lackeys and they just eat it up for some reason. I could go on with more flaws, but suffice it to say, I don’t think they hold up for an adult audience.
But as @Pork_Rind said, the secret hideout in the junkyard is genius and I also still want one
When I was ten, The Five Find-outers and Dog seemed like a clever enough name.
I read a LOT of Enid Blyton. All of the series books, Famous Five, Five Find-outers, Secret Seven, Adventurers, Naughtiest Girl and god knows how many more.
I’m not sure. She seems to have been popular, and a reliable seller, but not yet at her 50s–60s peak, when apparently she was sometimes writing up to 50 books a year (!)
Probably what’s more important is people’s attitudes toward her books – they were seen as trivial stories for undemanding children. I suspect very little she wrote got any serious editorial attention until much later, when some of the attitudes and language in her writing began to be seen as problematic.