The Henry L Gates Case

II didn’t think even you would have the chutzpah to go with the “black-on-black crime” deflection in this discussion. Guess I was wrong.

As is white-on-white, Hispanic-on-Hispanic, and Asian-on-Asian crime. Do those bother you as much?

Oh come on, you guys know his thing with black people. Do we have to rehash it again?

Some people only occasionally want to rehash, and we don’t need to use harsh language to describe them. On the other hand, some people always engage, thus disobeying the first rule of holes, and they deserve to be called “diggers”.

Is speaking disrespectfully a crime in the U.S.? How about the asshole Republiman who shrieked “You lie!” at Obama’s State of the Union address? Should he have been taken away in handcuffs and booked?

But thanks for the middle name. I always wondered what the H. stood for.

Tu Quoque. Trump defrauds “University students” out of millions. Obama photocopies a birth certificate. Same-same. Cheney smirks while lying to start a war with his friends getting billions in profits. Hillary is unaware that such a man could be this malicious and votes to give Bush negotiating power. Hillary is the real villain here. Obama invites a harassed black for a beer. Trump calls for his punks to beat up newsmen. Tu Quoque. Same-same.

Serving artichokes with raspberries is a seriously flawed culinary idea, but Obama didn’t mention that either.

I’ll chime in with the observation that sometime police racism is based on black and white and sometimes it is based on blue and not-blue. Getting arrested for pissing off an LEO for doing something completely legal is more of the latter.

Wow.

Exactly.
You have some people who are anti-cop and assume law enforcement is all racist, and then you have others who ALWAYS take the side of police in cases of discrimination and/or police brutality involving people of color.

Exactly.

It should be crime in general and not, “black-on-black crime,” as that’s usually a talking point I only hear being made by conservative pundits.

But in regards to the Henry L. Gates situation, Obama SHOULD have used it as a platform to critique the entire justice system and call out systemic racism.

(post shortened)

Interesting segue. Meanwhile, I found it interesting that Obama chose to talk about an important issue after admitting that he didn’t know the facts.

"On July 22, President Barack Obama said about the incident, “I don’t know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played in that.”

• Barack H. Obama

Obama quoted himself?

Obama is a Nobel Peace Prize winner. He can do whatever he wants. It’s not as if you could stop him.

Who’s more in the wrong, the guy who yells at a cop, or the cop who arrests someone for yelling?

First, Obama may not have known all the facts, but it is incorrect to say he did not know anything about the facts. Second, the statement made by Obama, the one quoted in the OP for debate and available in the link, was more fully, “…the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home…” Isn’t that consistent with the truth of the case?

I would need to know the facts before I could say. Or I could bring up things that may or may not be relevant, and base my opinions on that.

Regards,
Shodan

I think you should bring up black-on-black crime.

That may or may not be relevant. But given the long history in this country of burglary, it’s safe to conclude that Mr. Gates acted stupidly.

Regards,
Shodan

What was he thinking trying to fix his front door, out in the open and everything, while BLACK! I mean, what did he expect?

Imagine that. A neighborhood resident thought she saw two men trying to break into a home only to find out later that the two men admitted that they were actually trying to break into the house. I guess that’s what happens when you don’t live in a snitches-get-stitches-type of neighborhood.

You can’t break into your own house. cite.

Gates replied, “Yeah, I’ll speak with your mama outside.”

Nice!