The Iron Giant - WOW

Yeah, looking back the plainclothes government dude was the real monster. The General/Admiral (can’t remember which) mitigated him a little, I guess just not enough for my taste.

Also, the “cartoon kid is missing a parent” cliche at least had an explanation this time, if you figure the one shot of the man getting into an airplane was a clue that the boy’s father was probably killed in the service. Most animated movies just leave out one parent with no explanation.

Waiddaminit! People! Look! Veera, middle of the page. Unregistered user! I thought… But… ::stammer:: Only members can post now, right? Right?

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

The only thing about that movie that threw me is that, when I saw the previews, I thought that the ROBOT’S name was Hogarth. I share the sentiment of the FBI agent; “What kind of a name is Hogarth?”

Then again, I’m planning on naming my son Skylab, so I probably don’t have room to talk.

-BrainWeasel

|Squeaks from BrainWeasel’s Cage|
|http://brainweasel.home.att.net

I made it a point to show this movie to my 5th grade students. And they absolutely loved it. This was very heartening to me since they usually like any piece of trendy crap that comes along.
Plus it gives me a good opportunity to point out what the Cold War was all about.
I loved the “duck and cover” film that was shown in the Hogarth’s school.

–Gail
“Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.” --John Cleese

I just got back from seeing this in the local second-run theater. I’ve got to say I was somewhat disappointed–to me it was a little too predictable. I wonder if the happy ending was in the original book or not. (Maybe you need a theater full of kids–there were only three people, including myself, in the theater). I liked Toy Story II a lot more.

Could it be your ex?