The is not, and never shall be, Time Travel.

There is not, and never shall be, a correctly spelled OP.

:smiley:

Going back in time to kill people never works out the way you plan. I did it, I killed the monster who brought the Nazis to power and caused WWII. Then some half assed artist took his place and it all happened anyways.

Pants, I wanted to bring that up!

I can still say that, in the book, Mr. Fry avoids the whole time-travel tourism thing by making the process phenomenally expensive in terms of energy - it costs a fortune just send back a tiny amount of a powerful contraceptive. :smiley:

The title is Making History, by the way.

What if time travel is possible, but only to the past. You can’t go forward at all, so you have to stay in the past or go back further (you can leave from 2007 and go back to 2001 then 1994 etc. etc.). Now if someone has actually done this and altered history, how the hell would anyone know this was done? Nobody would have a memory of the previous pre-time travel history.

So prove to me it has not been done.

We tried that whole “Kill Hitler” thing before and it turned out badly. Stalin grew more and more powerful without the devastation inflicted by Germany. He managed to take over Europe, either by military action or, most often, by the installation of puppet governments. It was not difficult to bring Germany into their fold as the poverty there reached dreadful levels as a result of the sanctions imposed by the Allies following WWI. Once the scientist of Germany and the industrial capabilities were combined with the resources of Europe (minus Great Britain; they didn’t want the US involved) they developed the first atomic bombs and the delivery systems need to reach North America.
Once this capability had been demonstrated (the Bahamas no longer exist) the US was isolated on the world stage and living conditions continued to deteriorate until the Peoples Party in the US made a successful bid to place their candidate in the White House.
I became necessary for me to go back and shoot myself before I killed him.

Look, we’ve already killed the worst of the genocidal dictators that would have destroyed civilization. The genocidal dictators that you all actually experienced in this timeline are actually NOT THAT BAD, compared to what they might have been. And without our help, every president since Aaron Burr would have ended up assassinated. Expecting us to stop every single assassin seems a bit ungrateful. Just consider yourself lucky you didn’t end up with President Tilden, and anyone who knows the history of timeline 452a knows exactly what I mean.

Applause!

ETA: for the post, not the notion that you kill yourself