The Little Mermaid is GASP! Black

gropes around for rotten fish to throw at Duckster

The Little Mermaid is a Caribbean-themed musical. Ariel’s kingdom is in a tropical coral reef. She has a Jamaican-accented crab friend.

Unless that specific part of the Caribbean is made up of a community of expats, or is set on a Sandals resort, that all of the characters were white in the first place seems like the anomaly being corrected here.

How many people would even be talking about this movie if isn’t wasn’t because of a black Ariel? That alone will help box office attendance.

Did they just toss the whole “Has to pretend she’s a man to enlist in the Imperial army” thing?

I’m a little disappointed I won’t get to see my favorite Disney princess live as envisioned. However, it appears young miss Bailey has the looks, persona, and voice to play a good Ariel. It’d be hard for anyone to live up to Jodi Benson and Glen Keane.

I wish Halle Bailey and the entire production luck. So far every live action Disney remake has been lacking.

You keep stealing my points :).

This thread is one long advertisement for their new movie, which otherwise we wouldn’t be talking about.

Except that’s not true, because if we weren’t talking about it for this reason, we’d be talking about it for another reason that Disney’s marketing geniuses had cooked up.

Anyone who thinks they know how to market children’s movies better than fucking Disney is deluding themselves. They know exactly what they’re doing.

Well, you were never going to get any live-action Ariel whose bust measurement was more than twice her waist measurement, or whose huge arched eyes were more than twice as big as her nose, or who was actually a half-fish who could breathe and talk and sing underwater. There’s no live actress who would genuinely resemble cartoon-Ariel in most of her physical characteristics.

The fact that skin tone seems so much more salient to many white Americans than almost any other physical characteristic when it comes to people “looking different” is mostly down to cultural conditioning.

You must never have seen any pictures of people who practice tightlacing daily. The “world record” is a 15 inch waist (38cm). From that point, a doubled bust measurement isn’t terribly difficult (nor is dyeing your hair red).

Not to say that it’s recommended nor healthy nor will land you any guys who aren’t really creepy.

Indeed I have, but AFAIK none of them are actress/singers who have any even faintly realistic chance of playing Ariel in a live-action Disney movie.

Actually, the original mermaidwas kind of gray. Or maybe it was black.

well according to the singing voice of Elsa who tweeted something to the effect "im so excited that they listened and she get her princess "

Only you would be so bold…

You’re missing my point: people are saying the casting is a cynical cash grab when the entire movie is a cash grab. A white actress in the role would not suddenly make it otherwise.

It’s as if they hit on the fact that race is a major thing in this country.

You guys are a regular font of bad jokes. :smiley:

Word.

So they’re comics sans humor?

That would be Adele Dazeem.

This is a cynical cash grab, not just the movie, but this controversy too. They only care about PC of it changes their profits, they only care about diversity of it makes them money, and they only care about complaints on the internet if they will cost them income. I’m sure they anticipated a handful of people on the internet complaining, and were quite happy to add it to their marketing campaign.

As for the black washing, I’m with the red heads. Why not turn one of the non red heads black? There a love interest, right? Turn him black. It’s more progressive anyway. If anyone doesn’t need more representation, it’s hot girls.

Freeform goes for the jugular.

The disney remakes are boring because they’re mostly just papering over ‘plotholes’ and not doing anything particularly new or exciting with the material. If we’re going to be mad about anything, let’s be mad about that.

And I absolutely believe that the controversy was backdoor manufactured by Disney.