The "living in cold places" advice thread - share yours!

Haha, in the r/Portland subreddit there’s a post flair for complaints about the fucking studded tires and the idiots who still have them on in May–it’s KRKRKRKRKRKRKRKR and I laugh every time I see it. This year, because COVID, they relaxed the requirements for taking the fucking things OFF and I actually heard a car with studs tooling around in JULY. I wanted to beat that car to death with a baseball bat–the hydroplane ruts those damned tires wear into the freeway lanes are hell all year round. The gift that keeps on giving.

Studded tires should be illegal in any but the most extreme climates where they might literally save lives. In Ontario they are strictly illegal except in the far north. In the southern parts, not only are freeways well maintained and generally clear of ice and snow, but many sections frequently have to be repaved because of extreme traffic (the part of the 401 across the top of Toronto is said to be the busiest highway in North America). If that traffic had studded tires, the pavement would pretty much disappear!

Yes, I’ve not seen studded tires in my area for decades. I think they’re prohibited, except in certain circumstances.

The worst part is that the stupid studded tires add to the invulnerability mythos of the drivers and they’re always the ones flying down the road at 70 in snow and ice, usually taking out several other cars when the bill finally comes due for them. I hate those shitheads, same with the ones in those giant 4WD trucks who think they can do whatever because the magical switch is flipped so inertia doesn’t apply to them. I always love going “beep beep” as I pass by their stupid trucks buried in the ditch in my humble little Subaru Outback that’s handling the mess just fine because I know to slow the fuck down and not act the fool.

Not putting on a blanket when it’s raining and then snowing. Just when it’s snowing. I live in Minnesota. While places further south tend to get the rain and sleet, it is often too cold for that here. Sometimes, cold is a good thing.

At any rate, I did this frequently one winter when I had to park outside and my windshield washer pump gave up the ghost. Worked well for a college student with a small car.

According to the Kal Tire web site:

Studded tires can be used in every province and territory—though with restrictions about time of year and total number of studs in some regions, say for Ontario, which only allows studded tires in northern Ontario.

BC – studded tires can only be used on BC highways Oct. 1 – April 30. Studs cannot protrude more than 2 mm from the tread & must be on both front and back tires.

Alberta & Saskatchewan – studded tires are permitted during winter, no restrictions or set dates for use.

Manitoba – studded tires are permitted Oct. 1 – April 30.

Ontario – studded tires are permitted Oct. 1 – April 30 only in Northern Ontario (Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Temiskaming).

My mother uses studded tires on her car in Saskatoon, for what it’s worth.

I have to correct myself here. I did say “ice storm” up high and then explained that I only used the blanket on the windshield for snow. The latter experience is true. I actually did not think about the fact that the blanket might get soaked in an ice storm and then freeze. (Ice storms often involve the temperature dropping). If you have an ice storm issue, the best way to thaw window coated with ice is using an extension cord and hair dryer. Do not ever, ever, pour boiling hot water on the ice or your windows will crack or implode.

Here in Memphis we get ice more than snow. I have a box of large yard-waste bags that I use for ice. They fit perfectly over the windshield, tucked into the doors. I also tie small plastic bags over the side-view mirrors. While the car is heating up, I remove all of those and toss them in the garbage bin. Then scrape the driver side window and I’m good to go.

Yer horse is going to need new shoes.

Seriously: about snow tires. It really depends on the vehicle. I have had two unstoppable cars. One was a KIA Sedona minivan. I discovered I could actually go off road into deep snow with that baby. Amazing.

And my current Scion xB which has about 5 inches of ground clearance and normal all weather tires. In the big snowstorm we had a few weeks ago I backed out of the garage, turned around easily and made it the 150 foot to the street in a measured 10" of snow on the main driveway. The bottom of the car flattened the snow down a good 4-5 inches. The snow plow driver who arrived a bit later couldn’t believe it.

I couldn’t get back in the driveway however. Not enough momentum to blast through the huge pile from the plows on the street. The plow driver arrived when I was stuck going into the drive. I told him to just give me a shove backwards. He took one look and said he would need to use the tow strap and pull me out. They gave me a shove and off I went.

Long underwear under your pants. Makes a huge difference. I prefer silk, as it feels warm against your skin, and doesn’t add any weight or thickness under your pants. And your pants glide across them, so they don’t feel bunched up.

I use Yaktrax on my winter boots here - we have chinooks regularly all winter, and it makes a thaw-and-freeze cycle that ices all walking surfaces up very well. My complaint is that I always walk to shopping, and the slick floors in all stores don’t play well with Yaktrax. :frowning:
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/yaktrax-pro-ice-cleats-330481985.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAlZH_BRCgARIsAAZHSBm9knpv__sZOkwtoZyHnrAq4SQvriqbbC-E6zh4dnNEL8x8yjATTakaAtlnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#330481985=330481993

How cold does it get there? I never wear long underwear unless I’m going to be outdoors for hours and hours. And I’ve waited for a train (standing still outdoors, with no shelter) for 10+ minutes, and walked over a mile, and never wished I were wearing long underwear. I’m certainly comfortable with just socks and pants down to … 20F or maybe 15F. And even down to 0F, if I’m not outdoors for long, I’m happy not to have the extra layer overheating me when I get indoors.

It gets cold. Evidently it doesn’t bother you the same as some of us.

It’s all about layering. I’ve walked that 1.6 km to work when it’s 40 below.

For me, it’s all about keeping my core warm enough. If my torso and head are warm enough, the rest will be fine.

Anyway, long underwear is a thing to consider. Lots of the advice is stuff to consider. But don’t assume you will need to do all of this. If you acclimatize yourself to the cold you may do just fine.

The biggest benefit for a functional windshield washer system is to clear off road salt kicked up while driving though secondary s for light frost removal. And I spotted a product that goes across a windshield like your blanket yesterday so apparently it’s a thing. However, I’ve never seen it done.

Obviously. She asked for tips that helped us.

This is someone who moved from TEXAS to a northern climate. That’s a huge difference and acclimation matters. For example, I moved from Sacramento CA to Portland OR and even the rather mild winters here were a shock to me. A year after I came here my sister came to visit in fall, like September or so, and we went to the beach. It was perfect beach weather, 65F and I was in shorts, tank top and flip flops but my sister, used to the 100+ heat in Sac, was wearing long pants, long sleeves, a jacket, socks and tennis shoes and still complained it was too cold. I was amazed at how much my tolerance had changed in just a year–and it took me a couple more years to fully grasp what’s needed to make it comfortably through a chill winter. I froze my balls (that I don’t even HAVE) off until I figured out layering, wool and proper windproof coats and what winter preparedness means and how important it is. In a warm climate you never have to think about windchill and freezing to death, it’s just not on the radar.

Acclimation is key, I think. And that’s exactly WHY I don’t think they should start by doing everything possible to avoid feeling cold. I think that will slow the acclimation and make them uncomfortable longer.

YMMV, and this is just IMHO. And of course they should be careful to do enough that they don’t get frostbite or hypothermia. But I feel like a lot of the “how to keep warm stuff” should be second line stuff, if held in reserve, so to speak.

Not everybody “acclimates”. Try explaining to my 83-year-old mother that her being freezing cold in winter for 83 years was just because she didn’t acclimate properly according to your instructions.

If you don’t have a problem with being cold in winter, perhaps this isn’t the thread for you.